UKC

Running waterproof

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The bandit 29 Mar 2016
I'm in the market for a new shell jacket to replace my tired paclite. Something breathable I can use on MMs (i.e. with a hood) and whilst light, not so light it'll only last a year. Any recommendations out there...?
ultrabumbly 29 Mar 2016
In reply to The bandit:

I am tempted to to give the new Arc'x Norvan a try. Not had the chance to try one on yet though.

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/advice-inspiration/blogs/news-and-blogs/introd...
 Rob Kelly 29 Mar 2016
In reply to The bandit:

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/bonatti-wp-jkt-m.html?article=380226

This is currently my go to option. Had it all winter and it's stood up to some pretty tough conditions. Lightweight, breathable, great hood and seems to be holding up well.
 planetmarshall 29 Mar 2016
In reply to The bandit:

The Arcteryx Norvan is one of the best bits of kit I own. Wasn't easy to find though, had to order mine from Spain.
 tony 29 Mar 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

> I am tempted to to give the new Arc'x Norvan a try. Not had the chance to try one on yet though.

£220! Or am I just a cheapskate?

I'm saving up a visit to Yorkshire to drop into Castleberg Outdoors in Settle to try on one of these:
http://www.castlebergoutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/Ultimate-Direction-Mens-Ultra-...

I have an OMM Kamleika at the moment, which is okay, but the sizing is weird. I'm usually a Medium, but it's huge on me.
JMGLondon 29 Mar 2016
In reply to The bandit:

I'm really happy with my Ron Hill Tempest. Been using it for 18 months for fell, trail, road and on the bike. I love the big chest pockets. I picked mine up for £70 in a sale - suspect you'll be able to find some good post winter bargains out there.

http://www.ronhill.com/trail-tempest-jacket
JMGLondon 29 Mar 2016
In reply to tony:

> £220! Or am I just a cheapskate?

Not just you. That's silly money.

planetmarshall 29 Mar 2016
In reply to tony:

> £220! Or am I just a cheapskate?

No, but I would say it's at least twice as good as any other jacket I've tried.
 steveriley 29 Mar 2016
In reply to The bandit:

Montane Minimus has done me a few years now. Few places doing it cheap at the moment I see
 yorkshireman 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Rob Kelly:

> http://www.salomon.com/...

> This is currently my go to option. Had it all winter and it's stood up to some pretty tough conditions. Lightweight, breathable, great hood and seems to be holding up well.

I've got this too. While it is undoubtedly good (did 25km on Sunday in the Alps - continuous rain and sleet and I was as toasty as you like, packs down really light, not too expensive) there are a few things I'm not keen on.

The hood isn't adjustable - while it has a nifty thing to keep it on your forehead in most conditions, if the wind is blasting in your face the hood can get blown down.

No adjustable cuffs either. Again not a deal breaker but a bit bugging.

Nowhere to stow the hood when not using it, so it flaps around in the wind.

My wife has the OMM Kamleika and swears by it. The only reason I didn't buy it is because I didn't want to go Howard and Hilda Hughes (showing my age) and go with matching gear. I'm tempted to get one though.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/omm-kamleika-race-jacket-ii-1/
 Adam_Turner 29 Mar 2016
In reply to The bandit:

Montane minimus smock for me! Stupidly light and has kept me dry all the time I've used it
 SouthernSteve 29 Mar 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:

I have the OMM jacket and love it.
 galpinos 29 Mar 2016
In reply to The bandit:

I have an ME Fitefly smock which is the bomb, http://www.amazon.de/Mountain-Equipment-Firefly-Smock/dp/B00SYJ536K#immersi...

No longer available but I'd assume the Firefox Jacket (same fabric and cut, just not a smock unfortunately) would be nearly as good.

Gore-tex active shell is actually quite good. For comparison, I have stuff in the OMM gelanots fabric and a Berghaus Vapourlight smock and if I actually intend on wearing a jacket to run (I.e. Monday over the NY Moors, rain, driving wind, general clay and grimness), it's the Firefly every time. The Berghaus is the go to jacket to meet kit requirements when I don't think I'll need it and the OMM is to lend to friends......

The Firefly is also a decent enough shell to use year round.
 dr_botnik 30 Mar 2016
In reply to The bandit:

I really like the marmot driclime. It should be noted these are a soft-shell so not strictly waterproof, and won't comply with FRA regulations. However, the one I have has a hood, is windproof and water resistant to light showers not downpours but, more importantly, dries very very quickly. I've worn it on 10 mile winter runs where there's a chance of rain no problem, also served me well on gogarth climbing. If I was in a torrential downpour and stationary would want something both more weather resistant and warmer, but find anything that approaches "waterproof" as never really breathable enough, especially when it comes to jogging up an incline. Personal preference really, maybe I just sweat alot.
 galpinos 30 Mar 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

£135 on Sports Pursuit in their sample sale (medium only).
 markk 30 Mar 2016
In reply to The bandit: not the lightest, but pretty light & durable, with a proper hood -http://www.hillanddaleoutdoors.co.uk/productDetail.php?productId=3791&b...
 plyometrics 30 Mar 2016
In reply to SouthernSteve:
+1 for OMM Kamleika. Quality piece of kit. Love mine.
Post edited at 07:13
 ben b 30 Mar 2016

In the sport pursuit sale currently, size M only, GBP112.49.
http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/814205

Lots of Arcteryx samples at 50% off currently.

If anyone wants to join, if you do so via my link http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/Ben_Brockway_75946 then I get 5 quid credit if you order from the company, which is nice

Cheers

b
 r0b 30 Mar 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

I don't rate OMM Kamleika kit at all. Had a jacket that went back because even brand new it wetted out immediately, its replacement did the same so I got a refund. I still have Kamleika pants but in the Lakes on Saturday they failed spectacularly in 4 hours of constant rain and my legs were saturated. Looks and feels nice but in my experience doesn't keep the water out!
 tony 30 Mar 2016

> The Arcteryx Norvan is one of the best bits of kit I own. Wasn't easy to find though, had to order mine from Spain.

What's the hood like? I can see there's no adjustment possible.
 planetmarshall 30 Mar 2016
In reply to tony:

> What's the hood like? I can see there's no adjustment possible.

No, but as it fits me pretty much perfectly I can't really complain. It is super-lightweight but feels quite robust, it's seen action in some pretty foul conditions in the Caingorms and the Peak this year. Personally I think it's a pretty much perfect piece of kit, but not cheap if you pay full whack.
 ben b 30 Mar 2016

I think half price eases the pain significantly!

I currently use an OR Helium jacket for race requirements but it is in no sense breathable enough, waterproof yes but very sweaty. Previously I have used paclite (quite heavy, reasonably breathable) and eVent (way too heavy design), and back in the day an old montane superfly from the pre-eVent days (light but sweaty). I have yet to find a jacket breathable enough for my sweaty, lardy torso...

b
 planetmarshall 30 Mar 2016
In reply to ben b:

> In the sport pursuit sale currently, size M only, GBP112.49.

Bargain. It's cut quite slim, as you'd expect for a running jacket as you wouldn't wear much under it, but even so the Small fits me quite well, even though I go for a Medium in most UK Gear.

tony 30 Mar 2016

Thanks. I quite like the look of the fit - most jackets seem to err on the generous side. Half price on sportspursuit may be irresistible.
 plyometrics 30 Mar 2016
In reply to r0b:

Weird. Fortunately, I've never had any issues with my jacket and I live in the soggy Lakes.

Never used the Kamleika pants though.
 Roger Vickers 30 Mar 2016
In reply to The bandit:

Bit surprised with this cause your going to get wet wet wet if it rains. My Karrimmor running jacket does exactly what it say's on the bumf and it only cost a tenner from Sport Direct. Magic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 yorkshireman 31 Mar 2016
In reply to Roger Vickers:

> Bit surprised with this cause your going to get wet wet wet if it rains. My Karrimmor running jacket does exactly what it say's on the bumf and it only cost a tenner from Sport Direct. Magic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's wet, and there's wet though.

I went for a 2.5 hour run at the weekend in alternating sleet and rain. I was damp inside my jacket, mainly from perspiration (breathable is a scale, rather than an absolute) but was comfortable throughout, and didn't feel wet. With tech layers underneath this really wasn't a problem (it was the Salomon Bonatti).

I've got a 20€ Decathlon jacket which is ok in a shower but I wouldn't want to be running for hours in it. It would get soaked through to the skin, and cold. So while I agree that the more you spend, the more diminishing returns you get in performance, there is a sweet spot that is worthwhile paying for (around the £100 mark in my mind) if you're going to get the use out of it.
 DancingOnRock 31 Mar 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:

I went out for the best part of 3.1/2 hours on Sunday in hail and wind. I was wearing my Karimoor fluorescent jacket which is windproof and certainly not water resistant, if it ever was. I was only in the Hertfordshire countryside but suddenly realised about 2hours in that I was heading towards hypothermia. Luckily the rain stopped and the sun came out.

I'm sure that the rain just washes the warm air and warm sweat out of your base layers. Stopping the cold rain from mixing with the warm sweat must be essential.
OP The bandit 31 Mar 2016
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Thanks for the feedback folks.

@dancingOnRock - Agreed...the weekend was one of the few times I can remember where I needed a goretx to run in Herts. Honking.
 cham4807 13 Apr 2016

Is it the Norvan SL you have? If so what is the sizing like? As in is it true to size, what's the sleeve length like can you pull them down over your hands when running?
And does the back of the the jacket cover you rear/behind?
Thanks
 planetmarshall 18 Apr 2016
In reply to cham4807:

> Is it the Norvan SL you have?

No, it's the original from last season. The SL is a new jacket for this season, I believe. I don't know if it is sized differently, but you can't pull the sleeves over your hands with the original. If you need to do this, I suggest you get some lightweight gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...