UKC

FBiPhone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
m0unt41n 30 Mar 2016
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35914195

I paraphrase somewhat.

FBI: Can you please help us trace some terrorists?
Apple: Get stuffed!
FBI: OK not to worry
Apple: So how did you do that then?
FBI: Get stuffed!
Removed User 30 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

It's okay, they won't be able to do it with the newer iphones where the encryption is on a separate chip. The way it should be.

https://f5.com/Portals/1/Users/038/38/38/encrypt_all_the_things.jpg
 The Lemming 30 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

But have they really got into the phone?

Could be a double bluff to save face.
 balmybaldwin 30 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

It's interesting, because the FBI by all reports have commissioned a third party company to break federal law (whatever the equivalent of MIS use of computers act is).
 galpinos 30 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I really couldn't believe the FBI didn't have a capability to crack an iphone that they had in their possession.
 The Lemming 30 Mar 2016
In reply to galpinos:
> I really couldn't believe the FBI didn't have a capability to crack an iphone that they had in their possession.

Then why the song and dance theatrics by the FBI?
youtube.com/watch?v=zsjZ2r9Ygzw&
Post edited at 16:34
m0unt41n 31 Mar 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Did anyone think that they couldn't? Did we believe they've never needed to hack a single iPhone since 2007? Really? It's such a political story.
 galpinos 31 Mar 2016
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

Lemming seems to think they couldn't. I just assumed they were trying to leverage Apple to allow them access in order to save them work in the long run.
KevinD 31 Mar 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Then why the song and dance theatrics by the FBI?

cost and/or reusability.
In reply to galpinos:

Sorry yeah, comment wasn't really aimed at you. More a 'how could anyone think for one second the FBI cannot get in to an iPhone without Apple's help'...
 Dauphin 31 Mar 2016
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

These big I.T. companies will have three letter agency liaison teams. They are critical to U.S. economy and infrastructure. Not sure I believe Apple haven't already given them the keys to kingdom (maybe not specifically the FBI) through secret legislation/ court orders and this whole case is a public charade for the benefit of all involved.

>It's okay, they won't be able to do it with the newer iphones where the encryption is on a separate chip. The way it >should be.

That won't defeat you if you have access to the physical board the chip sits on and designed the cryptography algorithms the chip is based on.

D

digby 31 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

Once Trump is president you can forget any sophisticated techniques, he'll just take the head of Apple and torture him/her until they do what he wants!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...