UKC

Getting deposit back from car dealer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hillseeker 30 Mar 2016
I put down a deposit for a car I intended to buy 3 weeks ago. Part of the deal was for a few things to be done to the car when I came to pick it up. These were to provide a parcel shelf, a badge for the front grill, change the cambelt and to ensure the stereo was working.

The dealer agreed to have it ready in 3 days time, but they contacted me to say it wasn't ready citing a problem with replacing the cambelt. They eventually said that the cambelt was replaced after a week but then said they were having problems with finding a badge for the grill. Someone contacted me from the dealer saying they would change the oil and valet the car free of charge for the inconvenience caused.

I waited for notification of the badge arriving but didn't hear anything after some days. Eventually I contacted the dealer to say I would come to pick the car up and they could send the badge on to me.

When I arrived the car had obviously not been valeted. There was on old plastic bag in the footwell and a tissue on the dashboard. It was also generally dirty. There was no parcel shelf. There was no front grill badge. When I checked the engine compartment there appeared to be no oil when checking the dipstick. The dealer could offer no proof that the cambelt had been changed.

At this point I called the deal off and asked for my deposit back. The person I was dealing with said he had to wait for the original salesman to come back (in a few days) in order to verify this was possible. He did amend my invoice to say that the deposit was to be refunded. I have not received this money yet and keep getting told that the salesman isn't there when I contact the dealer.

What should be my next step? Can I take legal action against the dealer for not returning my deposit (£300)? What sort of timescale would this process involve?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
 1poundSOCKS 30 Mar 2016
In reply to toasted:
> What should be my next step? Can I take legal action against the dealer for not returning my deposit (£300)? What sort of timescale would this process involve?

Not a legal expert, but I have used small claims successfully to get a refund on a £3,000 mountain bike. Write them a letter telling them you want a refund, give them a date by which you want a response (maybe 2 weeks or so from the date of the letter), and tell them you intend to use small claims if you don't get your deposit back. I think it's likely you'll get your money back.

EDIT: I didn't have to go to court, they folded straight away and refunded my cost of filing for small claims court also.
Post edited at 21:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...