UKC

Old ankle sprain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bmartin1 31 Mar 2016
Hi there,
A couple years ago I injured my ankle, most probably a lateral sprain. I couldn't walk on it for a couple of weeks and it swelled pretty bad but I never actually went to the doc (in hindsight I really should have).
Now I recently started running and I have noticed a bit of pain flaring up again in my ankle/foot, and I can tell its probably related to this old sprain. I'm thinking the impact while I run.
Would anyone recommend taping or a support? or shall I just try and do exercises to strengthen the muscle? My only worry is injuring it again
(this question also applies to climbing, do you think it would be worthwhile taping up when I go bouldering as well?)
Cheers
 Ander 31 Mar 2016
In reply to bmartin1:

In the long run, taping won't help. You need to condition your ankle to work well. It's probably got little to do with impact per se, and more to do with how you're running and the relative conditioning of your musculature.
Do proprioceptive exercises like balancing on one leg, hopping, etc. and body weight lunges, squats, etc. to ensure you've got good leg strength to enable stability and proper joint movement- imho poor leg musculature is the root cause of most non-trauma leg injuries.
Use google to find videos demonstrating how to do any exercises properly- doing them properly is more important than doing them poorly to maximise your reps.
Going to the doctor probably wouldn't have helped that much- an ankle injury is almost always a long term issue, and something you'll have to work out how to manage yourself, cos even with all the professionals in the world advising you, it'll come down to you doing something about it.
 r0b 31 Mar 2016
In reply to bmartin1:

If you didn't rehab it properly whilst it was healing after the sprain the chances are it has healed with ligaments etc short and tight and lots of scar tissue. You need to get the ankle moving again to restore its full range of motion by progressively manipulating it to the end of its range (and beyond) - over weeks and months you should get all (or at least most) of the range back again. Also work on propriception (essentially the "wiring" between your ankle and your brain) by doing balance exercises, loads of links on web but classic is standing on one leg with your eyes closed.
bmartin1 01 Apr 2016
In reply to bmartin1:

Thank you guys! I'll get on practising exercises to help build up the strength and movement
 Sime64 02 Apr 2016
In reply to bmartin1:

It will be to do with scar tissue and ligaments moist likely. As someone who routinely ignored ankle injuries for many years I strongly suggest you spend the money for a physio session. At the every least you'll get a lot of good advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...