UKC

Spring Alps advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm thinking of heading out to the alps in the last two weeks of April, looking more at rock routes than ice/snow routes having done a lot more rock than ice climbing. Are conditions suitable for that at this time of year, and if not would it be too late on in the season to consider easier snow/ice routes or would they be slush by then.
Thanks
 dsiska 31 Mar 2016
In reply to MysteriousCeorl:

Your question is a bit general. Down in the valleys there will be good bolt-cliping on sunny south facing routes. Up high it will be full ski-touring season (ie still a lot of snow). High up ice routes will be in good nick - I know people go ice-colouirs above Chamonix in May/June.
 kenr 01 Apr 2016
Valley crags: No need for sunny S-facing.
Just yesterday I was enjoying perfect weather on a cloudy W-facing crag in the northern French Alps.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if people will be using skis to approach great granite routes high above Chamonix in the second half of April.

Last year April we were skiing down past Refuge d'Argentiere and spotted M Piola hanging on the cliff above drilling bolts for a new SE facing granite route.

The game is to get to those routes on skis before the lifts close.

Ken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...