UKC

Simond (Decathlon) 9mm Ropes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 01 Apr 2016
Has anyone used the simond 8.9 or 9mm ropes?

They're pretty cheap but I've no idea what their durability is like.

Any experiences would be welcomed.
 HeMa 02 Apr 2016
In reply to James Malloch:

My friend had one. Not the best rope I've used, but certainly more than good. And incredible value for the dough. THough, you might get even a better rope for the same bucks if you have time to bargain hunt.
 Fraser 02 Apr 2016
Yep, I used one in Chulilla for a couple of weeks sport climbing just before Christmas. I'd say you'd struggle to get a better bang for your buck. Handles really well and it seemed to wear okay too.

The one time it showed slight signs of (lack of) robustness was when pulling it through after the leader had untied. Maybe it's because the routes were so long but when the rope sort of cracked like a whip against the rock, the end frayed noticeably on a couple of occasions. Hope you understand the picture I'm trying to paint: if the rope is pulled through only part of the length of the route, and if you're leaving a half height toprope, the loose end falls down the face and whips as it finally is held in place.
Post edited at 08:13
astley007 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Fraser
Hi fraser,
Was that the 80m x 9mm...did you take it new?...how was it on your return?
cheers
Nick
 Fraser 03 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Yep, it was an 80m x 9mm. It wasn't actually mine but a friend's, but it was new for the trip and it was still very good after a lot of abuse over that 3 weeks. Another friend who was also there got the chunkier version, which I think is 9.8mm diam. Same experience with that and tbh, I didn't notice it feeling much heavier or stiffer to handle, either on lead or belaying. They both seemed very good value and Simond is a good, known brand.
OP James Malloch 03 Apr 2016

Thanks for the replies - I nipped and bought one today (the 80m x 9mm blue one).

It wasn't advertised online but they had one on the shelf for £100, seemed to be discounted from £150 so I'm happy!
Now I just need to get a trip booked to justify it's use!
 Fraser 03 Apr 2016

Nice one. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...