UKC

Hayfield - Kinder Scout loop in 3.5 hours?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tpgough 02 Apr 2016
I am planning a walk in the Peak District with some mates for my birthday, followed by a nice Sunday roast in Hayfield, Derbyshire. The route I have suggested is this: https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6830238

Due to someone needing to catch a flight home I think we will have about 3.5 hours to do the walk. Is this a little over ambitious? If so, could anyone suggest a more realistic route starting from Hayfield?

Many thanks in advance!
 mrphilipoldham 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Tpgough:

That should just be doable in the time allowed, so long as you're all fairly fit
 Offwidth 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Tpgough:

I'd say its a bit more than tight. Roughly an hour faster than Naismiths with some rugged and boggy terrain on a walk that you dont know.
 Dave the Rave 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Tpgough:
Tight but doable. I regularly do this in under 3 with a small stop.
Avoid william Clough and at its base cross bridge and go direct to plateau(45-1hr).
Turn right, 20 mins to Downfall. Make sure you cross the river and turn r to pik up the plateau edge path( don't follow the river into the plateau). Then 25-30 mins to the massive cairn at Kinder Low. (Careful here not to confuse kinder low end with Swinesback.)Then a bearin to kinder low end. Steep for 200 m down then easy through fields and lane. 45-1 hr from Kinder Low cairn
Post edited at 14:28
Lusk 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Easily doable, especially if they're all fit early 20 somethings.
Just the short(ish) slog up to the plateau from the reservoir, the rest is a stroll.
 Offwidth 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Lusk:

It's also easy to go wrong and mess up your pub dinner booking, especially when someone has a plane to catch. In low vis (hardly uncommon) for first timers I would say 3.5 hours would be impressive.
OP Tpgough 02 Apr 2016
Divided opinions it seems! Can anyone suggest a slightly less ambitious route? I guess the easiest option would be to start, then turn back half way through our available time, but retracing steps isn't quite as exciting.

Also, which direction would be the best way to walk the original loop (https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6830238)? Clockwise or anticlockwise?

Thanks again for the help.
Tom
In reply to Tpgough:

You will do it easily if you're used to walking 7 miles at a good pace, and you set off in time. There's no bog on the route. It's a reasonable forecast.
 john1963 02 Apr 2016

I normally do this walk anti clockwise once up at kinderlow the walking is very easy on a good path that stays more or less level all the way round.No mud problems even when wet and if your running late you can even jog the last 2 miles with ease.
 Brass Nipples 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Tpgough:

Easy route, shouldn't be a problem if you're all used to hill walking.
In reply to john1963:

> I normally do this walk anti clockwise once up at kinderlow the walking is very easy on a good path that stays more or less level all the way round.No mud problems even when wet and if your running late you can even jog the last 2 miles with ease.

Always clockwise for me. Probably 2-300 times.No specific reason. I just always have. Except once when I did it anti clockwise and didn't enjoy it.
 Offwidth 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Orgsm:
Naismith was designed for people used to hill walking. If the OP and his team are very fit and its a nice clear day, sure it won't be a problem but if they are not that fit it will be a route march where they wont be able to stop and enjoy the situations that justify the walk in the first place...who here would seriously enjoy a big meal after having to jog the last mile? I'd also better clarify what I mean by boggy ground: as Kinder walks go its one of the least problematic and there is no wading through mud that will need gaitors (unless you get lost) but most ordinary folk I meet up there seem to regard it as boggy in a few parts.

How about some slightly shorter favorite local altermatives (the ones I know tend to be boggier)?
Post edited at 10:57
 Dave the Rave 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Tpgough:

Did you do it?
OP Tpgough 04 Apr 2016

The walk is planned for 17th April. I'll keep an eye on the forecast and and decide what to do a little closer to the date.

Any suggestions for shorter walks from Hayfield as a back up plan?
 john1963 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Tpgough:

Never done it but a round incorporating Lantern hill starts near hayfield maybe worth a look.2.5 hours walk .
In reply to Tpgough:

Mount Famine and South Head feel suitably airy and a circuit can be contrived to make it less of an up and down.
 Ramblin dave 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
> I'd say its a bit more than tight. Roughly an hour faster than Naismiths

Hang on, how do you work that out? The pedometer thing makes it 6.8 miles and a quick check of a map suggests it's a bit shy of 600m of ascent. So 3.5 hours would allow a bit of time over the standard Naismith's pace.
Post edited at 17:37
In reply to Offwidth:
It all depends on age and fitness, obviously. Right up to the end of doing my Cuillin book at the age of 45, I found Naismith's far too lenient and had my own modified version of it. Nowadays (aged 66), I find I'm quite hard-pressed to keep up with Naismith. Mind you, I managed Ben Vorlich from the small road on the north side in 1 hr 20 mins just three years ago. Not sure how that compares with Naismith.
Post edited at 17:52
 Dave the Rave 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Tpgough:

Up William Clough as though you're going for Kinder, but turn left and back on yourself over Leygatehead Moor. 2-2.5hr back to Hayfield.
 Offwidth 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
Most regular walkers have their known adjusted pace based on Naismith... thats what I meant... to be overall 10 to 20% faster than the standard allowing for breaks to enjoy being in such a lovely place and at the end of the walk be feeling ready for a big pub lunch (with no slippage due to a flight) means you need to be pretty fit (an important conditional point that I think that was not made by some recommending it as being easy). I certainly wouldn't meet that criteria even though I could easily do the walk in the time. Fitness is obviously very variable.. many people couldn't do the walk at all and I should imagine it has been run in well under the hour... and being ready for a big meal after excercise is pretty variable as well.

Instead of more arguing it would be nice if some more shorter alternatives are posted (I love the bog, so sadly don't know any less boggy ones in the area).
Post edited at 10:48
 Dave Hewitt 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Mind you, I managed Ben Vorlich from the small road on the north side in 1 hr 20 mins just three years ago. Not sure how that compares with Naismith.

That's pretty good. There's an argument that Naismith's should really be applied over the whole outing, not just the ascent part, but in terms of getting to the top of Ben Vorlich from Ardvorlich it's about 900m of ascent with just under three miles of distance (it's a remarkably straight route), so Naismith would have you there in around 2hr 30 mins.

Funnily enough I'm going there this afternoon assuming the forecast better weather does arrive, and I'd expect to be up in 1hr 30 if going that way (and I'm 54), although I'll likely cut across to the nicer NW ridge which adds 15 minutes or so.

OP Tpgough 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Cheers considering all of this in your recommendation. As you say, we don't want to rush through it, missing out on the incredible scenery and then not feeling up to the pub grub!

Looks like there are a couple of shorter options - thanks all. Will see what we fancy when the weekend comes around
Lusk 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Tpgough:

Have you done it?!
OP Tpgough 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Lusk:

Did it yesterday and was going to give an update to say how much of a great walk it was - partly due to the exceptional weather! A bit boggy and wet in places with the snow melt, so people with inappropriate shoes had some wet feet...but we made it in time for food and had a great time. Looking forward to doing that walk again!
Lusk 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Tpgough:

Good man!
Wanted to do Chew Valley skyline yesterday but couldn't get out, bit annoying!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...