UKC

Beal Unicore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tommyads 03 Apr 2016
I should be asking Beal but does anyone understand how the unicore treatment(?) works?

I had to trim my unicore rope down at the crag today and I was playing about with the tat end a little bit and noticed the sheath came off the core very easily.

It looks like there is a dried glue residue on the core so I was wondering if they are glued together and over time the bond has worn away leaving me with essentially a standard rope.

I'm not too bothered about any of this because I bought the rope entirely because of the price but I am left thinking unicore is all a load of bollocks.
 CurlyStevo 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Tommyads:

Yeah quick google suggests it's a type of glue.

The unicore Beals from what I can gather are still not as wear resistant as mammut or elderid
OP Tommyads 03 Apr 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Which page? I couldn't find much on google just recycled bits from the beal page.

> The unicore Beals from what I can gather are still not as wear resistant as mammut or elderid

I've never thought it was anything to do with wear resistance anyway, just that the sheath shouldn't slide off the core.

I also remember seeing that you don't really need a hot knife to cut the rope because it doesn't fray (ideal for at the crag) but I had to re do it at home on the hob.

These are all small problems I admit but I don't like thinking I've got a product that doesn't do what it's supposed to.

philhilo 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Tommyads:

Read some stuff from folks that have said getting the rope wet destroys the bonding. My end started fraying after pulling the rope on 4x50m abseils.
 jon 04 Apr 2016
In reply to philhilo:

> My end started fraying after pulling the rope on 4x50m abseils.

That's surely more to do with the whiplash effect. All ropes will do that in those circumstances.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...