UKC

Current Crib Goch Conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Heading to Snowdonia tomorrow. Any information on the snow would be gratefully received.
Thanks
 SenzuBean 04 Apr 2016
In reply to MusicalMountaineer:

If you're on facebook, check out 'Ground conditions in UK mountain areas' group. A very high percentage of the daily reports come from Snowdonia - so well worth checking there for latest infos.

e.g.:
Been up [Snowdon] today. Was cold, wet and windy but just about doable. All the snow is either avoidable or slush.
2 April at 19:55

19 hrs [ago] · Capel-Curig, United Kingdom
Sons first attempt at climbing Snowndon
Weather conditions,
poor visibility, wind was ok wind chill around -5-6 Zig-Zag still a lot of compacted ice making it very challenging for most without crampons.
Lots of people walking up to the zig zag and then turning around.
 elliot.baker 04 Apr 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Apologies if this is a silly question, but around mid-May is Crib Goch likely to be a dry-snowless scramble or is there still a significant possibility it will be snowy/icy? I haven't done it before and am planning on walking the Snowdon horseshoe then weather permitting.

Thanks
 climbwhenready 04 Apr 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

It would be very odd to see snow in May
 jezb1 04 Apr 2016

Who knows, but I'd be very surprised if it's snowy in mid May.

I've been across it in trainers this year already, but then it snowed again. Looking out my window Crib Goch's snow is all but gone.
 elliot.baker 04 Apr 2016
In reply to jezb1:

I am jealous of what's outside your window!
 Ryan Parle 04 Apr 2016
In reply to jezb1:
Not intending to Hijack as such, but i was planning to head up tryfan on the weekend, you mind if i check back on friday for a more up to date report?
 jezb1 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Ryan Parle:

Not at all, but I can't see Tryfan out the window!
 climbwhenready 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Ryan Parle:

Nice one, we now know Jez doesn't live in a shack at the top of Glyder Fach. Let's keep triangulating.
 Billhook 05 Apr 2016

It depends on the weather. This isn't the best site for weather predictions.
 Billhook 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Ryan Parle:

Another one can't be arsed to look at a weather forecast

If it is forecast to be above about 10 degrees in most of Wales (Tryfan is in Wales), then there isn't going to be any new snow up there. It needs to be cold to snow.
In reply to Dave Perry:

>> can't be arsed to look at a weather forecast
>> there isn't going to be any new snow up there. It needs to be cold to snow.

True, but not for standing snow/ice to remain.
There are still large (isolated and largely avoidable) patches of snow on the Carneddau and icy steps on the zig-zags on the Pig track, and these aren't mentioned in the weather forecasts so it's not a bad thing that people ask for local knowledge before heading up the mountains.
 SenzuBean 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> There are still large (isolated and largely avoidable) patches of snow on the Carneddau and icy steps on the zig-zags on the Pig track, and these aren't mentioned in the weather forecasts so it's not a bad thing that people ask for local knowledge before heading up the mountains.

Agreed. We all like to complain about those people who head out in the hills without any clue of what to expect up there and get themselves into trouble and have accidents - so we shouldn't chide them for asking for the information that helps prevent that.
 climbwhenready 05 Apr 2016

Also the current peak forecast for Snowdonia is around 0/-1 ish
 Billhook 06 Apr 2016

Agreed. Perhaps the park authorities should issue a map of all the existing snow/ice patches on a daily basis with appropriate warnings.

But you'd expect snow patches at this time of the year anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...