UKC

Washer/dryer - replacement drum advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 04 Apr 2016
Another enquiry for the hive mind...

We have a John Lewis washer dryer, which is built by AEG/Electrolux, product number 914606110 - it's about 6 years old.

Unfortunately, the bearings seems to have packed up, as it's started making a heck of a racket on the spin cycle.

Looking on AEG's parts website, it seems a bearing kit is not available for that model and you have to replace the whole drum at a cost of £184 (http://shop.aeg.co.uk/product/3484157403/Washing+Machine+Welded+Drum+Assemb...

Which leaves 2 questions:
1 - is it worth replacing the drum? Everything else seems to be working fine, although it could do with a good clean out of muck, as sometimes clothes come out with black marks on them.

2 - how hard is it to replace the drum - anyone done it? Been a while since I've had a washing machine apart and not done a full drum replacement.

Any advice appreciated - I don't want to replace a bit if it's the first sign the whole machine is on it's way out and I'll be replacing another bit in a couple of months. Equally, I don't really want to splash out £600+ on a whole new machine right at this moment and especially not if it's not necessary.

Any advice appreciated...
 robhorton 04 Apr 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

eSpares have a few youtube videos for that sort of thing. I've followed them for easier things but personally I think a bearing/drum replacement is a bit beyond what I'd be prepared to do - have a look at youtube.com/watch?v=XaFF2-Rl8Nc& to get a general idea.

Have you tried descaling it?
 nniff 04 Apr 2016

Brushes, pumps, seals (depending on location), door switches, hoses and the like are mostly replaceable in my book. bearings seem not to be now - all fall under the heading of 'DGI' - Don't Get Involved.

They're increasingly not service items as far as I can see, and/or will require tools that you almost certainly don't have.* Recently had to replace both our washer and tumble drier after many years of good service. The washer had several sets of brushes and a pump, but it wasn't worth trying to do the bearings (on both). Seeing as they saw the kids grow up, they didn't do too badly.

*I cite the case of our built-in microwave. It's a head-height device, and the first special tool of significant note was an adjustable work stand onto which the engineer could easily slide the oven to work on it. I would have had two arms full of oven and no spare hand to disconnect the wiring. Without the wiring, I would then have had to establish new test wiring, before working out how to reconnect it again at head height with both arms full before trying to shove it back in without trapping my fingers or the wiring. DGI.
 illepo 04 Apr 2016

could you pull it apart and spec the bearings yourself? there may not be a bearing kit, however there will be spec marked on the bearing itself or you will be able to measure the bearing. then source the bearings yourself.
OP LastBoyScout 04 Apr 2016
In reply to illepo:

I did wonder that, but having had a chat with the support chap, it's apparently quite a job to get at the bearings and even service engineers tend not to bother and just replace the drum.

Apart from that, I really don't have time to get bearings out, source them, wait for them to arrive and then fit them - I'm about to go back to work from 2 weeks paternity leave and have a 2-year old and 2-week-old in the house, so can't afford to be without a washing machine I can get the drum on next-day delivery.
Removed User 04 Apr 2016

Tank is probably of the sealed variety with no access to the bearings so the only option is to replace the tank/drum unit. Front of the machine comes off, disconnect everything to the tank making a note where wires go,hoses,door seal, motor,dryer heater and concrete balance weights off. Suspension legs held in with plastic pegs - a13mm socket on the pointed end and pliers on the other- pull and they will come out. Good idea to lay it on its front now to remove the springs, when you lift the cabinet the tank should come free. Reassembly is the reverse of the above -- good luck not an easy job, give yourself a couple of hours at least.
In reply to robhorton:

I watched a few eSpares repair videos when my machine packed up. But they were for machines where the drum housing could be opened; a welded drum housing will be tricky to close securely and re-seal, I suspect.

Mine turned out to be corrosion of all three arms the drum spider, allowing the drum to flop about, but still spin... I wore through the eement and then the front housing. Repair was relatively simple, if tedious, and the bearing grease was still clear, so I left them alone. I regret not re-packing the grease, but it's still working okay. Spider £25, bearings £10, front housing £35. Housing was secured with spring clips; easy to remove and replace.
OP LastBoyScout 04 Apr 2016
In reply to robhorton:

Had a chance to watch that video now - thanks. Seems pretty straightforward, although that was of just a washer, so will also have the dryer components to deal with.

Just had another look and it seems the bouncing drum has shredded the door seal, so will also need a new one of them.

Nothing else to do this evening, so going to have a look at taking it apart and see what's what...
 Toerag 04 Apr 2016
Do you not have a local facebook 'ebay' type group where you can pick up a machine secondhand for virtually nothing?
OP LastBoyScout 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

Took the covers off last night and from what you can see of the drum it's been plastic welded, so no chance of splitting it.

There's a lot of bits in there to get past, but a methodical approach should be fine.

Only question now is is it worth the replacement???
OP LastBoyScout 06 Apr 2016

Got the drum out without too much trouble, but will be a 2-man job to put back in, as need another pair of hands to connect the springs.

Looks like the spider on the drum has gone and the noise was the carrier hitting the casing.

Looks pretty clean inside and the element isn't scaled up, so think I'm going to replace the drum.
 Cheese Monkey 06 Apr 2016

Why would you pay £600 for a washing machine when you can get a new one for less than the price of a new drum?
m0unt41n 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

It's a washer dryer so £300 but agree now I just buy the cheapest and hope for 5 yrs or more
Our Hob extractor fan bearings going replacement motor is £100 getting a completely new extractor is £110 from ao.com
 summo 06 Apr 2016

you should replace the bearings if you can. If the spider has been damaged for a while there will be bearing damage and vice versa.
In reply to summo:

Unfortunately, it's a sealed unit, so impossible to replace the bearings or the spider - you have to replace the whole drum assembly.

Could have done without it damaging the seal, as that's surprisingly expensive, but that was rather grubby, so might as well replace that at the same time.

Drive belt looks fine, but will probably replace that as a matter of course while I've got it apart.

colinakmc 06 Apr 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout: with a 2wk old in the house why waste your energy on it? For me, new machine is a bit of a no brainer, as you've already started to discover something else will be on the way out too.

If you've room, separate washer and dryer would be a lot more convenient, spread the risk and let you get more done....

jalien 06 Apr 2016

I replaced the bearings on our machine when it was making a racket and vibrating. The repair got another 6 months out of it, but then it packed up again and we got a new one. I think that when one thing goes on these machines, it's generally a sign that the whole thing is on its way out. After all, they do work pretty hard in difficult conditions. It may be a false economy spending nearly £200 to keep it going for less than a year
In reply to colinakmc:

Took me just over an hour to strip it out last night and some of that was spent working out how to do it and noting what I'd taken apart and where the screws go, so not too bad - should be about the same to reassemble. If I bought a new one, I'd need to mess around fitting the cupboard door on it, which would probably take me just as long, from experience with the fridge.

Everything else inside looks in pretty good condition, albeit with a bit of expected scum, and the motor spins freely. The big encouragement is that the element was only lightly furred and what there was cleaned off easily under the tap, which is good.

Either way, will have to remind my wife not to put quite so much in it at a time - I'm sure she's overloading it a bit.

Separate dryer not really an option at the moment, without a lot of work to make space for it. A dryer could go in the garage, but that would be a bit of a pain.

I hope you took pictures; digital cameras are a great aid for the repairer...

If it was the spider, it might be interesting to see if it was due to corrosion (as mine), or mechanical failure (e.g. overloading). My spider arms corroded through after a mere 17 years. I'm hoping to get another 17 years out of it...

I was very surprised how clean my element was though, as Reading has very hard water.

Was reading about the general 'dumbing down' of washing machines last night; bearings are much less robust than they used to be, drums are sealed, so you can't repair anything (example given was a trapped bra wire). I saw it alleged that the reasoning is to eliminate metal parts in the drum, making it more recyclable, under WEEE regs. If that's true, they've done the opposite of what was actually intended. Seems pretty hard to find a non-welded drum housing these days. My drum was fastened with a number of spring clips, and a rubber ring seal, which is probably as easy to assemble as a welded joint, and easier to dismantle when repairing or recycling. The WEEE argument seems a load of bollocks.

Time for consumers to start demanding the return of maintainable devices?
Removed User 06 Apr 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Problem is manufacturers and the big retail sheds dont want your appliance to be repaired they want you to buy a new one. The quality particularly of washing machines is poor even so called better brands have made them cheaper and nastier. Also the most common causes of failure on these are bearings or computer board and the manufacturers have priced these items so repair is uneconomical - hence I have scrapped a 14 month old Hotpoint today (these are the pits-),must scrap 3 or 4 a week most less than 5 years old. Nobody seems to recycle the plastic outer tubs, most go to landfill. It would be better if the outer tanks were steel as they would be more recyclable, and possibly help the ailing steel industry.

> Problem is manufacturers and the big retail sheds dont want your appliance to be repaired they want you to buy a new one.

I know. But it kinda runs contrary to the spirit of WEEE (and my personal inclination)... It doesn't surprise me that the outers aren't recycled; they're dirty (I spent ages cleaning mine before I reassembled it), and may well be polypropylene, not widely recycled.

> hence I have scrapped a 14 month old Hotpoint today (these are the pits-)

My machine (now repaired three times) is a Hotpoint. I bought it specifically because I'd had prior experience repairing a similar model a few times. Times have changed...

2 x brushes replacement
1 x pressure sensor cleaning
1 x door interlock (and subsequent PCB damage)
1 x spider/front housing/belt replacement

I have a set of bearings, and a set of brushes ready to install when needed...

> Also the most common causes of failure on these are bearings or computer board and the manufacturers have priced these items so repair is uneconomical

I did wonder whether there was a business opportunity for salvaging second hand parts from scrapped machines, as is done for cars. If you scrap a machine because of the drum, you get a control board and all the other bits for free. Considering the cost of new parts, I'm sure it would be viable...

I found bearings to be dirt cheap. Actually, they came as a kit with the spider, for £24...

https://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/hp0525-hotpoint-more-washer-drum-support-be...

Front housing:
https://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/1601957-hotpoint-creda-washing-machine-drum...

I think it was cheaper, though. Maybe it didn't come with the element; I'd already bought one of them... If I hadn't fannied about, putting off opening the drum, I wouldn't have need to buy the drum front, as it wouldn't have worn out... So I'd have needed the spider and a new element: £33 in total. Element £9. Door interlock £5.50. Brushes £7.50. Pretty cheap, really.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...