UKC

Post Mortem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 04 Apr 2016
Anyone know how long it takes from a person dying until a post mortem can take place.

I always thought it was usually within a week. A friend of mine died on 24th March and his brother said there was going to be a post mortem but that he would let me know about the funeral but I haven't heard anything yet.

Obviously I don't want to keep asking them at a sad stressful time.
 Dax H 04 Apr 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

Depends on different things.
My Dad died quite young on bed, my mum found him on Friday morning, it was a bank holiday Monday and we cremated him on the Thursday.
Autopsy and all the arrangements in 4 working days.
Last year my mate died when a car went headfirst in t his motorcycle, it took 2 weeks for the Autopsy to be cleared and a further week before we could arrange the funeral. We never got a straight answer but it might have been something to do with the criminal case against the driver and allowing them their own Autopsy for defence purposes.
OP mypyrex 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Dax H:

Thanks. If I remember, when my dad died, it took about two or three days.
 balmybaldwin 04 Apr 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

I think it depends on the reasons for it and how complex the tests they do are. My Dad had to have a post mortem due to the drugs he was on (Morphine via a syringe driver - presumably checking it was prescribed/taken at a reasonable level - it would have been easy for someone to have accelerated his final few weeks with what we had in the house)

I think his body was released within a week as it was routine testing. It maybe more if negligence or (god forbid) foul play was involved.

Maybe worth a call not to pester but ask if you can help/drop round a meal... it is a difficult when grieving to remember everything and just hearing from you would probably prompt him.

My sympathies
OP mypyrex 04 Apr 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Maybe worth a call not to pester but ask if you can help/drop round a meal... it is a difficult when grieving to remember everything and just hearing from you would probably prompt him.

> My sympathies

Thanks. Can't really call round; they're 200 miles away. I sent them a card.

andymac 04 Apr 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

A week in Scotland atm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...