UKC

Full frame mirrorless article

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 05 Apr 2016
A biased and ridiculously titled article but some interesting points none the less:

http://petapixel.com/2016/04/04/sonys-full-frame-pro-mirrorless-fatal-mista...

The size / weight comparisons are particularly interesting as I often see them listed as advantages on the forums. (Note this is a pro setup comparison - enthusiasts setups are smaller).

Personally I think mirrorless is the way forward, I just don't think the technology is quite there yet.

Adrien 05 Apr 2016
In reply to James Rushforth:

Read it this morning. I didn't think it was that biased (I agree the title is absurd though) in that it doesn't slam all mirrorless cameras, only FF (at least that's the impression I got). It makes some pretty compelling points and does a great job at debunking the myth that mirrorless systematically means huge weight savings (which is what Sony based its marketing on).

I'm not in the market for a full frame camera (I currently have an Olympus E-M1, coming from a Nikon D7000, and consider moving to Fuji), but if I were I would definitely not consider Sony, if only for the poor battery life, limited lens selection and less comfortable body.

Nonetheless I suppose mirrorless will eventually take the lead, but given the choice I would still rather peer through an OVF than an EVF; I already spend enough time in front of the computer...
 planetmarshall 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Adrien:

> Read it this morning. I didn't think it was that biased (I agree the title is absurd though) in that it doesn't slam all mirrorless cameras, only FF (at least that's the impression I got). It makes some pretty compelling points and does a great job at debunking the myth that mirrorless systematically means huge weight savings (which is what Sony based its marketing on).

The writing was a real turn-off ( fanboys...deluded public etc. Was expecting a reference to the "politically correct brigade" at some point ), but the points made are fairly sound.
 john1963 05 Apr 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

Very interesting but lets wait and see if Nikon and canon bring out a ff mirrorless camera I think they might.
moffatross 05 Apr 2016
In reply to James Rushforth:

I've owned lots of different cameras over the years and I'm not a Sony fanboy but currently use an A7II too. To me it reads like an 'attention seeking' article, and for my purposes, it's quite wrong about adapted lenses and stabilised sensors.

quote - "Adapters are fiddly and grossly impractical to use. I have a lot of adapters for my a7II, and have accidentally taken the wrong one with me or have forgotten to pack one altogether. It’s also an extra pair of lens caps to lose." -

I have M42, Pentax K and Minolta MC/MD adapters (cost less than £10 each) and they do exactly what they say on the tin. And I have no idea what their point was about lens caps as they aren't required.

quote - "There is also a major flaw with the implementation of Sony E mount IBIS." -

Nope, it just works, and makes a 50 year old manual focus Soviet lens lens, or a 1970's Minolta Rokkor, or 1980's Pentax every bit as usable as a modern one with stabilisation built in.
Removed User 05 Apr 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

Photography sites and forums are full of idiot writing and what I'd call rantspeak that would put a political thread on here to shame. However, I agree, amongst the noise there often lies good points and info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...