UKC

Small DMM Demon cam surface

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bryn_F 05 Apr 2016
Has anyone had any experience of the small size DMM Demon cam's (The Blue 0, Red 0.5) holding ability, given that the surface is quite heavily serrated compared to most small cams that I've seen? They seem like the best choice for a small cam given the strength, but there doesn't seem to be much area for them to hold with!
 mattck 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Bryn_F:

If the rock was perfectly smooth, then sure, more grooves would mean less friction. However, in most cases (and depending on your type of rock), the grooves are likely to help the cam to grip into the rock better.
 climberchristy 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Bryn_F:

Agree with matt above that grooves there to add friction not reduce it. I've fallen on both sizes you refer to and had no issues. Of course, as with any pro, depends how well you place em.
 nickcj 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Bryn_F:

The more metal in contact with rock, the more holding power. So grooves not always necessarily add more grip...

Maybe have a look at new dragons as lobe surface has been redesigned for this reason.
 Rick Graham 06 Apr 2016
In reply to nickcj:

> The more metal in contact with rock, the more holding power. So grooves not always necessarily add more grip...

Probably not true for all rock types and placements.

The science and understanding of micro and macro friction are very complex and probably incomplete.

Any cam design is a compromise for varying rock types and placements.

A cynical view is that they are probably just designed to look "right" and maximise sales Though since the OP asked the question possibly not.

CurlyStevo 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Bryn_F:

I think you are over thinking it. DMM know what they are doing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...