UKC

Slate climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Co1in H 05 Apr 2016
I have a mate coming over from the USA who wants to visit a slate climbing area. He's not looking to climb (we are both beyond that now) but he has never seen any routes so we'll get hold of a guide book and wander around and if anyone is on a crag that will be a bonus.
I live in the Peak and apart from my roof being slate, the nearest crags are gritstone. It's just as easy to get to the Lakes as it is North Wales.
Suggestions please for easy access slate climbs.
Thanks
Colin
 dinodinosaur 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Co1in H:
Go to the dinorwig slate quarries and buy the Llanberis slate guidebook! In the back of the book are the details of walks around the quarries and it has loads of information and history of slate climbing in it too. Going to the dinorwig quarries is a cracking day out even if you aren't climbing and if you are feeling brave you can do the snakes and ladders route
Edit: here is the linkhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Llanberis-Slate-Ground-Up-Productions/dp/B0095TC4E2
Post edited at 20:26
 Tony the Blade 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Co1in H:

I would have to say I think the slate quarries at Llanberis are incredible. You can easily spend a day mooching about, it's incredibly atmospheric and you will undoubtedly be able to have lunch watching climbers.

I can lend you a North wales slate guide if you want.
 Tony the Blade 05 Apr 2016
In reply to dinodinosaur:

Beast me to it by one minute.
 deacondeacon 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Co1in H:

Dinorwic slate quarries are where you want to be. This is where the famous routes are, 'the quarry man' etc. it's very atmospheric, and still has lots of evidence of its quarrying history.
If you're up for a little abseiling you can google a tour of the slate quarry called 'snakes and ladders'. It's a scramble/walk/abseil which will take a couple of hours to complete. There is one HVS section which involves climbing up an old chain (but this can be bypassed).

Otherwise just go for a wander. If you park at the mining museum there is a nice walk (although quite steep) to the quarry. Otherwise you can park at Bus Stop quarry and take a nice flat walk into the quarries.
If you're looking for somewhere to stay there are plenty of options in and around llanberis. Camping b&bs etc.
 deacondeacon 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:
And me by 7 minutes
Post edited at 20:30
 Mark Eddy 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Co1in H:

In the Lakes there's Hodge close quarry & Cathedral quarry. Not super popular with climbers, but routes do get climbed in both and both are impressive areas in their own right.
3rd photo down shows the cavern at Cathedral quarry: http://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/blog
A google search will bring up loads more info for both venues.

The Llanberis slate quarries would be your best bet in North Wales, more likely to see folk climbing there too.
OP Co1in H 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Co1in H:
Thank you all.
It's certainly Llanberis and if it's a dry day we may well have a punt at Snakes and Ladders.
Tony, thanks for the offer of the guide book loan, it's much appreciated. We may well take you up on it and if so I'll contact you nearer the time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...