UKC

RIP Jim Curran

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Naylor 06 Apr 2016
Just heard that Jim Curran's died. No details yet, but the information source is solid.

RIP Jim.

Read more
 Pedro50 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Sad news
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sad news. Thoughts with family & friends.
 Tony the Blade 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Aw no, that is really sad news.

Thinking of his family and friends at this sad time.

http://www.jimcurran.co.uk/biog.html
 Nevis-the-cat 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

That's very sad news Rob. He was a great writer. One of the old guard.

In reply to Rob Naylor:

Oh dear, how very sad. He was a good friend.
In reply to Rob Naylor:

what a shame, haven't seen him for a long time but shared many beers with him back in the day in the Byron, Union etc.
A real entertaining gentleman.
 lummox 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Utterly crap. Always came across as a great old fashioned raconteur. I remember him being fantastic as MC at one of the old Bretton Hall lecture sessions : (
 AP Melbourne 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Oh no.
Thoughts with family and friends ... deeply, deeply saddened.
 jezmartin 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Such awful news. One of the nicest 'characters' you could ever meet. RIP Jim
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I have really enjoyed a lot of his writing. Sad news
 BALD EAGLE 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sad news and sincere condolences to all of Jim's family, friends and loved ones. RIP Jim.
 wilkesley 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:
Sad news. Haven't seen him for a long time, since I moved away from Sheffield/Peak. He was always entertaining.
Post edited at 13:05
OP Rob Naylor 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Oh dear, how very sad. He was a good friend.

Am I right in thinking you did his website, a few years ago?
OP Rob Naylor 06 Apr 2016
In reply to lummox:

> Utterly crap. Always came across as a great old fashioned raconteur. I remember him being fantastic as MC at one of the old Bretton Hall lecture sessions : (

He gave a thoroughly entertaining eulogy at "Buzzard's" funeral in Kent a few years ago...some great stories, beautifully told. I think they had a bet on over which of them would "go" first.
In reply to Rob Naylor:

First came across him through his writing of course, but later when he acted as MC for some of his friend Paul Nunn's memorial lectures, where his humour and story telling kept us, the audience, amused between speakers. His mountaineering related books always made fascinating reading but one of his last books "The Middle Aged Mountaineer", where he told the story of his LEJOG journey by bike visiting old friends and favourite places, was a particular pleasure to read because of its self-deprecating humour whilst his humanity shone through.

Thoughts and prayers with family and his many friends.
In reply to Rob Naylor:

> Am I right in thinking you did his website, a few years ago?

Yes. A long time ago - a bit antiquated now. But I knew him from way before that (c.1975), mostly in connection with literary events. And lots of parties. I've got a vague feeling I may have climbed with him once, e.g on grit, but I'd have to search in old logbooks to find out.
 Iain Thow 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Only met him a couple of times, once in Morocco and once in Sheff, but both times he came over as a cracking bloke. Thoroughly enjoyed his writing too. A loss to the outdoor world in general.
RIP Jim
 Rob Exile Ward 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sad. We met him once on the Aonach Eagach on a perfect winter's day, and joined forces as he was without a partner. That evening I bought a copy of his book about K2 at the Clachaig and he signed it for my son: 'To David, whose Dad rescued me from the Aonach Eagach' - total bollox, but briefly made me a hero in his eyes!

It is a great book, and he was a great bloke; very sad.
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Loved his biography 'Here there and everywhere' his honesty over depression moved me greatly.

Saw him lecture a couple of time and he really was a great raconteur.

God bless !
 Greenbanks 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Associated only by his writing and exploits, and tales told of him. Sad news - a significant figure in mountaineering history. RIP and thoughts to family, and those who know him better
 Chris_Mellor 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Oh, that is very sad. Just finished his K2 book. Good read. His paintings looked interesting too.
In reply to Rob Naylor:

My sadness is increased by seeing that my ten-word tribute to Jim earned me a 'Dislike'. This kind of internet battiness is enough to make you puke sometimes.
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

He should be remembered above all for his enthusiasm for the whole climbing world and his dedication that's reflected in his writings, that are brimful of his good nature and wit. He was also a fine and interesting artist with his own very distinctive style. I hardly dare say that we have one of his pen and ink panoramas of St John's Head, because that will probably earn me another dislike. Above all, I'll miss talking to him, as an old 'fellow of the rope' over many years.

Easy to misclick, Gordon - I wouldn't let it bother you.

Sad news; never met him but clearly a good guy and not that old either to be going and dying. RIP, and condolences to his loved ones.

jcm
Removed User 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

So, "Wobbly" (as Mo used to call him) has gone - very sad news.
Jim and I go back to the early 70's and I like to joke that I knew him before he was Jim Curran !
There are many memories of Jim, from climbs in Wales and the Peak to beers and parties in Sheffield, but my favourite memory of him has nothing to do with climbing.
Jim played football a couple of times for Edale FC in the early 70's along with myself, Bill Beech and Geoff Birtles. He really was not very good but on one occasion when he wasn't paying much attention the ball skidded off his head into the back of the net ! He never stopped talking about "his goal" !
RIP Jim - the only daughter I knew was Gemma and I will try get a message to her.
Boje
PS : I am writing this downstairs in my house in British Columbia under strict instructions from my wife Hazel, who knew and loved Jim, not to get maudlin and drink too much - not much chance of that !
 Baron Weasel 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I was thinking about him just the other day. RIP Jim.
 veteye 07 Apr 2016
Sad for all as this thread obviously shows.

I was disturbed to see that your first response got two dislikes as well.It seems that you also have a dislike for saying about knowing Jim since about 1975. Is it that someone thinks that you are making more of things? I just cannot understand it. Whoever they are, why do they bother to continue to read the thread? They are pathetic. I for one prefer to hear little bits more of the history, and don't want some nameless fools to interfere.
OP Rob Naylor 07 Apr 2016

> He should be remembered above all for his enthusiasm for the whole climbing world and his dedication that's reflected in his writings, that are brimful of his good nature and wit.

I too am flummoxed at the idea that anyone could have "disliked" your other post. Ludicrous! But yes, enthusiasm and Jim went hand in hand. Some years ago I used to help organise annual "sandstone climbers' dinners" at first The Beacon and then High Rocks Inn. The couple that Jim managed to attend were, for some reason (!), a lot livelier than most of the others. One memorable one was where we decided the event would be "fancy dress" with people encouraged to come as the name of a climb. Bouncing around on the dance floor was a big Cardboard Box with a Curran-shaped head sticking out of the top of it. Not sure he'd really thought through the logistics of drink/ mouth interface though!
 krikoman 07 Apr 2016
In reply to veteye:
> Sad for all as this thread obviously shows.

> I was disturbed to see that your first response got two dislikes as well.

Maybe it was a dislike of the news he has died, it might not have been a dislike for the post itself.

After-all how do you "like" bad news, if the buttons were "agree" and "disagree" that might be easier to understand.

Or they might just be arseholes, surely that the beauty of the internet.
Post edited at 08:50
 liquid 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sad news, my thoughts are with his family and friends - his writing has delighted and inspired me
 Offwidth 07 Apr 2016
In reply to krikoman:
Good try but we are talking about he posts Gordon made, not the announcement.

I never knew Jim more than to briefly talk to at festival events but enjoyed his work over the years. Condolences to friends and family.
Post edited at 09:59
 Dave 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

In late 1986 or thereabouts I went to see Jim Curran give a lecture in Bristol, where he lived at the time, shortly after his return from the K2 expedition where his good mate Al Rouse had just died, along with Julie Tullis and other climbers. Jim was practically alone at base camp trying to work out what was going on on the mountain, organise rescue attempts and deal with descending survivors like Kurt Diemburger. Obviously the whole episode had deeply deeply affected him and I believe this was his first public explantion as to what had gone on. It was the most riveting, moving, emotional talk I've ever been to as the whole heartfelt story came pouring out with the raw grief of it - the tears - on display. The audience was spellbound and you could have heard a pin drop for the entire time. As it happens I was sat in the front row nearly opposite the lectern, behind which I could see that he had a bottle of whisky from which he kept pouring into a paper cup and taking sips. Seemed like a top bloke.
Dave
 krikoman 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Good try but we are talking about he posts Gordon made, not the announcement.

> I never knew Jim more than to briefly talk to at festival events but enjoyed his work over the years. Condolences to friends and family.

Then the later was true, fair enough. That's me though always trying to find the "nice" in people.

I like to echo this though, Condolences to friends and family.
 BrianT 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sad news. I only met him a couple of times but he was immensely likeable and funny.
 Simon Caldwell 07 Apr 2016

Looks like the mods have activated some sort of setting that removes the like/dislike options from this thread. Good on them.
 Andy Say 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

It comes to us all; we need to remember the full life he led and the memories he left everyone he touched.

I remember some filming for 'The Bat and the Wicked' which was set in the Kingshouse but was actually filmed in the back bar of The Moon in Stoney!
I had the privilege of caring for Jim a couple of years ago when he was a patient in hospital on my ward. He was a gentleman; funny and inspiring even in the face of illness. There's not many like him. I often thought of him and wondered how he was doing, very sad news.

RIP Jim.
 Goucho 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Sad news. Been many years since I last saw him.

RIP and condolences to his family and friends.
 Henry Iddon 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Jim was a wonderful person, his whit and banter second to none. His legacy will live on.
In reply to Andy Say:

> It comes to us all; we need to remember the full life he led and the memories he left everyone he touched.

> I remember some filming for 'The Bat and the Wicked' which was set in the Kingshouse but was actually filmed in the back bar of The Moon in Stoney!

The chip shop in the film was "two steps" chippy in Hunters Bar, Sheffield. Jim was also a stalwart of the 'Byron Slab Climbers' which included Paul Nunn and Mike Richardson.
In reply to Caroline_Schofield:

> I had the privilege of caring for Jim a couple of years ago when he was a patient in hospital on my ward. He was a gentleman; funny and inspiring even in the face of illness. There's not many like him. I often thought of him and wondered how he was doing, very sad news.

> RIP Jim.

I suspect my wife was also part of the care team at the hospital. As she got to know of some of his exploits, and of course knowing my climbing interest, she bought his book 'Here, there and everywhere' and in it he penned a wonderful inscription. Fascinating man and a fascinating life.

Tragic loss. RIP Jim.
 JJL 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Oh Jim.

I'm sorry.
Removed User 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I never met him but a friend's daughter did art at Bristol in the late 80s and when she met us lot and heard that we were rock climbers she said that one of her lecturers was a climber. We all asked who he was, in a 'bet we've never heard of him' way. Of course she said, 'Jim Curran.' And she thought he was great.
 Colin Moody 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Dave:

> In late 1986 or thereabouts I went to see Jim Curran give a lecture in Bristol, where he lived at the time, shortly after his return from the K2 expedition where his good mate Al Rouse had just died, along with Julie Tullis and other climbers. Jim was practically alone at base camp trying to work out what was going on on the mountain, organise rescue attempts and deal with descending survivors like Kurt Diemburger.
> Dave

Was there a programme on TV about this with footage of him at base, or am I getting mixed up?
 Mick Ward 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Colin Moody:

If I recall correctly, Jim Curran made a film of the expedition; it was on television about '87. My girlfriend, Julia, taped it (I was away working) and we watched it together. She'd lived in Al Rouse's house in Rupert Road and had been close to him. And she also knew Jim Curran well. It had a lot of resonance for her.

Even though obviously one knew the ending, I was unprepared for how distressing it was. The tension as folk went for the summit, bad weather closed in and the days passed. Finally somebody (Diemberger?) came back. With consummate professionalism, Jim Curran kept the camera trained, even though his heart must have been breaking. I've always thought that was the bravest thing...

Mick
 Colin Moody 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Even though obviously one knew the ending, I was unprepared for how distressing it was.

That's the way I remember it.

Thanks for the reply.
 Mord 08 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sad news.

I remember going to one of his parties when he got back to Sheffield part way through his Sheltands to the Lizzard bike ride in 2001. He didn't know me at all but made me feel welcome.

Thoughts to his family and friends.

M.
 pog100 08 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

He was a next door but one neighbour to me for the last 6 months and I although I had a couple of friendly chats, I had been expecting to get to know him better He seems to have been an interesting bloke and one I would have enjoyed quizzing.
RIP
 Andy Johnson 08 Apr 2016
In reply to Colin Moody:

> Was there a programme on TV about this with footage of him at base, or am I getting mixed up?

The footage shot by Jim Curran on the K2 expedition went into a short film "K2 Triumph and Tragedy" which I believe was broadcast back in the early nineties. It is still available for download from Steepedge.com. Its an interesting watch, especially if you've read the book.

My condolences to Jim's family and friends.
 paul mitchell 08 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

A fine raconteur and wit.Did some altitude carries ,too.
 rocksol 08 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Had countless good times with Jim both in Sheff and Bristol
When a large team of us visited Jersey to sort of introduce modern routes up to E5 Al Rouse and myself posed as Jims kids to get a better travel deal
Jim never really got over the death of Al (non of us did as Al was my climbing partner. I never went on another trip) and it quite often it made him morose and later ill health contributed greatly
But we must concentrate on the good times up all night partying drinking and making plans. Jim had a sharp wit and was abrillint raconteur
Sadly missed
PS bet his wake will something else !!
 abbeywall 08 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Like others regard his books as classics. He did a great lecture at the Edinburgh Film Festival about 10 years ago on the filming of the Old Man of Hoy and the Bat. Film festival lectures can feel a bit samey but this one was very memorable with lots of amusing asides. Like his comment that camera equipment had got much lighter over the years but he hadn't benefited from this as he had counterbalanced with his own weight.
Opening up to questions he said he did this with a bit of trepidation. In his previous lecture a little old woman at the back stuck her hand up. 'Yes I have a question - in that first photo of you in your study, how did you get your Aspidistra to grow so big?"
 S11 08 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

The arrangements for Jim Curran's funeral have been announced. It will take place at the Grenoside Crematorium (5 Skew Hill Lane, S35 8RZ) in Sheffield on Monday 25th April at 11.45.
 BarrySW19 09 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Very sad - I enjoyed the K2 book and was lucky enough to spend an evening with him in a pub in the peaks once listening to some of his stories.
 Trixiebelle 10 Apr 2016
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Mike Richardson was my dad. He too passed away last June

Lots of memories of holidays with my 'climbing uncles' in the Alps, Scotland Wales etc....
 Frank Cannings 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I first met Jim in the mid-1970's Bristol climbing scene and it was always good to meet up with him again at climbers gatherings over the years or more recently, as we've aged, at funerals of other climbers. His droll cynical humour always quickly cut right through those with over-inflated ego's without offending them, and he injected a wise perspective. He was entertaining and good company. My wife Gail, a non climber, adds that he always made her feel welcome too.
Frank Cannings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...