UKC

Base for walking and climbing in the Pyrenees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Solsbury 06 Apr 2016
Hi, looking for some advice re the Pyrenees. Looking a going for a couple of weeks, July into August, primarily a trip with my non-climbing wife, both keen walkers, she enjoys the odd bit of scrambling but nothing using ropes (even when those around us are fully kitted out!) Be great if I could jump on a rope in the evening or odd day. We prefer to get somewhere and stay there for the duration rather than move around. Half thinking of Poland so if but probably further to drive.

Cheers

Rich
 goatee 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Solsbury:

Hi Richard. There are several places to visit but a couple I have experience of. Tarascon sur Ariege is one and Luchon another. Both can be easily accessed by train. You can also link towns easily enough. Check out my blog for June the past couple of years. I was in both areas those times and you might get some ideas.
Stephen
 thedatastream 06 Apr 2016
In reply to goatee:

Good blog.
 herbe_rouge 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Solsbury:

Luz-Saint-Sauveur if you don't mind busy or Vicdessos if you'd prefer quieter are both worth a look......
In reply to Solsbury:

I'm heading out this summer too. Been recommended Argeles-Gazost and Luz-Saint-Saveur as bases, though I've never been before, so I don't know the area.
 Alfrede 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Solsbury: if you fancy a few evenings/days climbing with locals as part of your holiday then consider Tarascon/Ariege. There is an active and friendly little group of Brit expat climbers around you could probably contact. I will be around in Foix myself probably late June and early July looking for climbing partners. Sport crags are getting hot by then but evenings are fine and there is lots of mountain cragging higher up.
If you are around that part of the world then, contact me on alfredorob2@yahoo.com. The walking and scrambling for your wife is superb and the eastern end of the Pyrenees usually has quite good weather.
OP Solsbury 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Solsbury:

Thanks for all the replies, I'm away with dodgy connection but do appreciate responses, Rich
 Martin Bennett 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Solsbury:

We've been to the Foix/Tarascon area (Ariege) for two trips and enjoyed it immensely, but for a mixed climbing/walking holiday I'd think about going a few miles further South, staying at Ax-les-Thermes. Unlike Tarascon it's a lovely little town (small ski resort in Winter) and is very close to The Pyrenees "proper" with all that that implies regarding wonderful walking country.
Much of this is very close, as is a wealth of rock climbing, (there's a little crag actually IN the town and the mighty Dent d'Orlu is next door) but also you can be in Andorra in 30 or 40 minutes and from what we saw and experienced during our Ax stay last September the walking is beautiful.
Finally, for your chance of finding a rope to jump on to, you can go North for half an hour and be at the honeypot Ariege crags - Calames, Sinsat, Auzat etc.
Just a thought. PS what about the Spanish side? Ordessa? Sorry, no first hand knowledge meself.
 KA 08 Apr 2016
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Torla and the Ordesa Canyon are stunning places, but there's very limited local bolt-clipping in the immediate area. There is however more adventurous and committing trad than you could shake a clipstick at.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...