UKC

Grumpy in Tignes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 06 Apr 2016
Broke my fibula on le Face today in Val d'Isere

Had quite an exciting bloodwagon straight down the bumpy mogul field bit - hats off to those pisteurs, must have quads of steel, no stopping at all.

So now I'm plastered up, 550 Euros lighter and fully grumpy in Tignes wondering how to get around never mind drive, return to climbing etc

Hurrumph. I've never broken anything in all my years skiing and climbing so I fear I might not be a good patient.
 Rob Exile Ward 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Babika:

Bad luck, I've got to ask how did you manage that, we did le Face a few times earlier this year, and though we saw a few people lose it and go for miles, we didn't actually see anyone break anything - It would be good to know and maybe avoid!

As you say, hats off to the pisteurs, I'm happy enough on le Face but wouldn't want to tow anyone down it.

Good luck anyway, hope you recover soon.
OP Babika 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Thanks

Not too sure what happened actually......

It was very poor visibility, massively crowded with skiers and ski schools and I was on the very narrow section with the big drop on the left, skiing well on the left to avoid all the turners. Suddenly cartwheeling, ski wrenched off and ended up tangled in the barrier netting. Quite comical if it wasn't so bloody painful!

walts4 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Hurrumph. I've never broken anything in all my years skiing and climbing so I fear I might not be a good patient.

Sure that the secret to having a successful mend on any bone is to be a good patient therefore restricting movement whilst the fracture is in plaster & in the healing phase..
So even though the impulse is to get around & get things done, your actually better off taking it easy or so my experience of mending broken bones in the past bears testimony to, its actually a good time to learn how to be patient!
Also if you are of a certain age, buy some supplements & vitamin D, they sell something over the counter at the pharmacy in France, this will help & enable the plaster to be removed faster.

Enjoy the down time & relish the getting back to fitness stage.....
 JohnV 07 Apr 2016
In reply to walts4:

Try getting hold of some Comfrey tea, anecdotally good for aiding bone healing.
 veteye 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Babika:

I presume that the fibula in man heals fairly swiftly if you have one or two beers per night to keep the stress down, as the much larger tibia splints it, so long as the two fragments are in the same hemisphere.
OP Babika 07 Apr 2016
In reply to walts4:

Very helpful advice
I gave up the hop to a restaurent last night (chalet staff night off) after 75m downhill and lay in bed with 2 chocolate bars instead.

I'll give the vitamins a go as well.
OP Babika 07 Apr 2016
In reply to JohnV:

> Try getting hold of some Comfrey tea, anecdotally good for aiding bone healing.

I've never heard of that (I live a sheltered existence), maybe try it when back in UK?
 RX-78 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Babika:

My wife broke her wrist skiing in France a few years ago, and spent a few days in the local hospital, the food was terrible, and I drove down every evening from Valloire into the valley to bring her food. So I hope you are mobile and not stuck in bed in hospital. In Tignes last week, saw a lot of rescues due to whiteout conditions.
 jon 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Babika:

Just BEING in Tignes would make me grumpy, having a broken leg into the bargain would probably end in me pulling my own head off! Chin up, it's never much fun to get injured on holiday...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...