UKC

Yosemite Camp 4 in May

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Julian Prieto 06 Apr 2016
How hard is it likely to be to get into Camp 4 on a Friday in mid-May? What time should I try to be in the queue by?

Any suggestions on where to catch some sleep before getting in the queue? Could I get into trouble with the rangers if I sleep in my car in the Camp 4 car park? Or would I be better off sleeping in the car in a layby outside the national park then driving in very early?
 Offwidth 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Julian Prieto:

Unlikely to be a problem. Most kip in the queue before the official start time even when its busy in October. They are particularly good with backpackers, who obviously will have problems accessing camping outside the park. A mate did The Nose in May... longer days shorter queues.
OP Julian Prieto 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks for the advice. I should be arriving at Yosemite around 10pm. Am I likely to have trouble with the rangers if I sleep in the car at Camp 4 or elsewhere in the valley? Or would it be better to stop at a layby outside the national park?
 Offwidth 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Julian Prieto:
I wouldn't advise sleeping in the car in a layby in the park as the rangers can be pretty strict and you may well get fined. Park up at Camp 4 and see whats what... worst case sleep waiting for the next day to open.
Post edited at 19:52
 AndyWatt83 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
I was there last May, the queue started forming at about midnight the night before some nights..... Loads of folk seem to show up in the middle of the night and sleep in the queue.

Ranger activity after dark seems fairly limited. We had a guy in our pitch who was just un-pitching his tent every morning and hiding it in a bear box during the day...

I got mega lucky, showed up one afternoon and happened to get a space, but I really wouldn't recommend trying that.
Post edited at 22:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...