UKC

NZ advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
b.e.c.k 09 Apr 2016
Hi UKC,

After a bit of advice.
Tentatively planning a big trip next year, of which we're keen to make NZ a part of. The aim of the trip is mainly bouldering (so likely based near Christchurch for Castle Hill) and a bit of travelling around (thinking campervan).

Due to time available etc., we would be likely to end up in NZ anytime over June/ July/ August.
A few questions - - -

I've read that its possible to boulder in NZ anytime of year. Is this actually the case> Is there a better time of year? What is June/ July/ Augst likely to be like as it is their Winter?
Are roads generally passable over this time of the year (thinking of if we head to Queeenstown etc., how much snow will there be?)
Is staying in a van just going to be cold and unpleasant?
And---any other destinations in NZ that are particularly worth visiting for the bouldering?

Any advice/ tips/ pointers appreciated!

Thanks all!
B
 ben b 09 Apr 2016
In reply to b.e.c.k:

Roads tend not to get shut outside of major snowfalls but obviously you are heading over for the equivalent of january - march. At that time of year it's mostly about the ski club fields not bouldering.

Whilst it can certainly be wet, it tends not to rain for days in the scottish style. Lots of snow potentially but only hangs around for long above about 1000m (Castle Hill is about 700m so not far off). I've never been there in winter but it won't be a great time of year to live in a campervan. I have stayed at Flock Hill in April and that was flipping freezing!

b

damowilk 09 Apr 2016
In reply to b.e.c.k:

Castle Hill can be pretty good in Winter, depending on the weather, which can be highly variable. If you planned only a few days there, there's no guarantee it would be pleasant climbing. It can be a bit of a heat trap depending on where the wind comes from. Camper van could be cold at times; it's also worth being aware that there is quite a clamping down on freedom camping in areas where it isn't allowed: you can get quite a hefty fine. Just be careful where you pull up for the night. There is a network of decent campsites, the cheapest are DOC ones.
Roads are not often closed, but ones that do that you might want to travel are the Arthurs Pass road, Burkes Pass towards Lake Tekapo, Lindis pass from Omarama towards Queenstown and Wanaka, and the Crown Range between QT and Wanaka (there is a longer alternative.) Again amount of snow is highly variable, I would recommend having snow chains that fit well.
b.e.c.k 09 Apr 2016
In reply to b.e.c.k:

Thanks.
Hmmmm, it's difficult to try and plan a trip and get to each destination at the 'optimum' time (though weather is never guaranteed!).

May have to rethink NZ timings and try April/ May if do-able.

B
 AdrianC 09 Apr 2016
In reply to b.e.c.k:

If you can make April / May then I'd encourage you to do that. Autumn is a stunning time in the South Island (it's my favourite and I'll miss it this year - hmph,) with superb misty mornings, warm sunshine, the trees turning, a few frosts and the first snows on the tops.

Having said that, if you can go a month later than your original plan, then August & September can be pretty warm in the valleys and you're unlikely to have any sustained road / snow dramas.

Feel free to drop me an email via UKC if you'd like any more info & ideas.
 Hamfunk 10 Apr 2016
In reply to b.e.c.k:

There is a Christchurch climbers facebook group which may be of use to you, and it seems to be full of friendly people.
b.e.c.k 14 Apr 2016
In reply to AdrianC:

Thanks for the advice.
It looks like we might be able to change some dates and head there April/ May which will be great.

May email you nearer the time with some specific Qs.

Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...