UKC

Need to put on Weight On!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
astley007 09 Apr 2016
Hi All,
I have been very ill just recently, and now need to put some weight on over the next few weeks.
I have a poor appetite at the moment so am looking for high calorific but healthy interesting recipes.
I like most foods (except beetroot!!!) and have bought some avocados, as these were recommended.
Looking forward to see what gets recommended
Cheers
 nough 09 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Try counting calories, it will always help as it's difficult to know if you've eaten enough. I recommend using MyFitnessPal Android/iOS app to log food. Aim for 500 calories above your base rate to gain 500g of weight per week. Note that a lot of that will just be fat.

With that said:

Sandwiches with lots of mayonnaise and cheese in them. (put lots of interesting fillings in your sandwiches.)

Cook more than you need. If you're boiling potatoes, make double, and slice some into a sandwich for lunch, slice some into a frying pan with lots of butter for breakfast.

When making pasta, go heavy on the olive oil. Drizzle extra on "for presentation"

Switch to full fat milk as opposed to semi-skimmed. (every little helps). With that in mind, try cream in your coffee.

Macaroni cheese (or pasta with roux sauce). Make Lots of roux. Add Bacon. Bake for extra crunchiness.

Fancy a slice of toast and jam? Why not fry the bread with lots of butter, then put the jam on?

All that said, If you want to bulk "Healthily", you should take care of your macros, and get a good proportion of fat:protein:carbohydrate, that way it won't all be fat.
 Andy Nisbet 09 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Depending on how your health is, it might be worth having a go at climbing while you're very light. It might pleasantly surprise you. Not that being super light is healthy, but there could be a bonus.
 Pbob 09 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Make a toastie from two slices of brown (not wholemeal) bread, buttered with a smear of english mustard and a large sliced snickers bar. Best consumed after copious beer.
 bouldery bits 09 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Chorizo.

Loads of it.
 coinneach 09 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

I've got a belly you can have . . . .

Free!
In reply to Pbob:

Personally I like a banana sliced length-ways with with slices of marsbar inserted and then barbecued until everything is soft and squidgy. Can also be recreated on cold days by using an oven/microwave.
 Yanis Nayu 09 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Pancakes?
 jimjimjim 09 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Eggs and porridge in the morning then small meals little and often throughout the day. Pasta and chicken, sweat potatoes, brown rice etc oh and some chocolate (my favourite)ice cream before bed. Gains!
Don't be tempted with any of these weight gain power shake type crap unless you're in a rush. Nothing is as good as real, simple food. If you like it, eat it.
 bouldery bits 09 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Oh! And remember to eat late
abseil 09 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Cashews are high calorie.
 Sealwife 09 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Mix two of the above suggestions - mac cheese with fried chorizo stirred in, even better with fried red peppers and red onion too. Had it for dinner tonight - mmmmmmm.
ultrabumbly 09 Apr 2016
In reply to Sealwife:

Microwave mac cheese with a fully tub of red pepper or picante hummos tipped on top is also an excellent easy additional meal if trying to cram down extra calories.
 digby 09 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

You'd be better off eating healthy and not worrying about putting weight on. You could end up addicted to all that lovely bad for you stuff
 Anti-faff 09 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007

When gaining weight following competitions (powerlifting) in the past I'd have the following first thing in the morning and again in the evening an hour before bed to add about 800 cal to my daily intake.

Add to a blender:
-1 big banana
- A handful of spinach (you won't be able to taste it I promise!)
- 3/4 of a cup of oats
- as big a dollop of peanut butter as you can face (you can but buckets of the stuff from Holland and Barratt for very little)
- top up with whole milk
- I never bothered but you could add a scoop of weight gain supplement if you wanted.
- Blend the bejaysus out of it and drink it straight away, it doesn't keep.

I know it sounds pretty grim but it's really not too bad (some frozen strawberries thrown in cheers it up no end). You can vary the calories easily by adding more or less peanut butter.

I found high calorie dieting extremely tiresome but this really helped as it was so quick to prepare and didn't involve chewing when half asleep first thing in the morning!

Best of luck and take your time, ramp things up slowly or you'll get sick of the sight of food really quickly.

T.

In reply to astley007:

Pretty much any Keith Floyd recipe...
astley007 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Andy,
Would love to go climbing, most of my friends on either in Kalymnos or on there way there now.
Just a bit awkward with the chest drain still in..hopefully soon after draincomes out.

Some good interesting suggestions about high calorie supplements/meals...please keep them comming
Cheers
In reply to astley007:

My breakfast suggestion would be weatabix with plenty of milk and sugar (milk warmed if necessary).

If you give a suggestion of whether you like different textures in your food I'll see if I can come up with some more suggestions.
astley007 10 Apr 2016
In reply to L'Eeyore:

Hi
Love food and different textures, but breakfast is rice crispies, helps all the meds go down, then am going to try bishops blender idea and see how that goes?
Cheers
 nough 10 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Try having Rice Crispies followed by buttered toast with spreads.
In reply to astley007:

When my wife was in hospital there was an option to tick that said she was (I can't remember the wording), but it meant getting an alternative menu that was usually based on curry recipes. Strictly speaking ticking the option wasn't allowed but with the nurses agreement the conspiracy was born and my wife was served separately to the rest of people with piping hot tasty curries by a smiling Indian lady.

Curries (and associated accompaniments) can be really healthy and fattening if you like them. Use plenty of fat and full fat yogurt or coconut cream.
 RobOggie 10 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

My advice is:
Forget the whole 'body is a temple' mantra
Skip breakfast
Cheese on everything
Frequent trips to Wetherspoons
Lots of booze
Those rocky road/millionaires shortbread packs Asda do

Current favourite food:
Posh sausage sandwich: Pork sausages with applewood smoked cheddar and red onion marmalade on a brioche bun...
 nough 10 Apr 2016
In reply to RobOggie:

If you're trying to gain weight, why skip breakfast?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...