UKC

Young people, old music

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 09 Apr 2016
Last weekend I took my daughter's boyfriend, (21 yrs old,) to see a band I had not seen since 1977. He's been introducing me to several bands, via MP3, over the last year so I thought it time to return the compliment.

youtube.com/watch?v=RBYoNYuUVk0&

We saw Stiff Little Fingers together, when I say "together" he actually spent most of the gig down in the mosh pit, (I'm far too old and cranky for that these days!) He thoroughly loved the gig, even the "Exploited" type support band. Loved so much in fact,that he bought a couple of SLF albums on our way home in the car.

Have you had the pleasure of introducing some youth to a great oldies band?
 aln 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Is there a punk revival on the go? I've recently seen teenage/early twenties youth wearing full on 70's punk clothing. Tartan bandage trousers etc.
 joe.wahab 10 Apr 2016
In reply to aln:

Quite a few of my friends are into punk one way or another, I've been to a couple of gigs with them and also to see them play.

Speaking as 'youth', my dad's taste in music ended up influencing mine considerably: I listen to a lot of Smiths, New Order and more recently quite a bit of electro. This is pretty different to what I used to be into which was largely metal/prog, but I still listen to some of that too. Speaking of prog, a mate's dad lent me a load of Rush albums when I was in sixth form - fantastic band, still love it.
 felt 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Played my son some Brahms by the Berliners under Herbs. Just to teach him what the word "lush" really means.
 Kimono 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
I'm sitting with a 7 year old boy who has just put on Queens 'we will rock you'.
He kind of glazed over when I told him that I remember listened to it back in '78

Andy Farnell 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Big Ger: I've got a couple of lads in my year 11 form onto Rush in a big way, just doing my bit to open the ears of the youth to quality from the past.

Andy F

OP Big Ger 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Good stuff guys! I'm talking him, the missus and the daughter into coming to see The Levellers in October.
 FactorXXX 11 Apr 2016
In reply to andy farnell:

I've got a couple of lads in my year 11 form onto Rush in a big way, just doing my bit to open the ears of the youth to quality from the past.

I think there might be a bit of grooming going on here.
'Rush' today, 'Yes' tomorrow, who knows where it might end!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...