UKC

In pieces after walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Donald82 10 Apr 2016
Not sure if this would better in Hill talk or here.

I walked 25 flat miles yesterday, and was in pieces for the last five miles and afterwards. I've walked at least 20 flat before and at least 15 with munros in. Two friends with me were okay, and I'm fitter and walk more than them (We did the three peaks together last year and I found it much easier).

Symptoms - extremely sore quads, hip flexors and, ahem, testicles (ache not chafing). Tendon on inside of knee is tight. Close to fainting in a restaurant afterwards. Got home and very, very tired, straight to sleep.

I probably didn't eat or drink as much as I should but didn't feel thirsty or hungry. Plus I'm a bit sunburnt today. I don't think I was dehydrated though as pee was clear afterwalk/this morning.

Thoughts?
 Yanis Nayu 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Donald82:

Maybe you are just sickening for a cold. I feel a bit the same to be honest, and I just walked 2 miles with the dog.
 ActionSte 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Donald82:

Coming down with something/battling an illness you arent aware of/dehydration/lack of electrolytes/change in your stride/ate the wrong things before hand/didnt like the company and it was your bodies way of telling you to sack it off and go home.
 DancingOnRock 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Donald82:

This is the running forum so I suspect you're a runner and not a big walker.

Completely different muscles and energy system. Walkers can walk me off the hills inside 5hours but I can run for 7hours no problem.

I ran a flat half marathon and by mile 10 I was praying for some hills.
 DaveHK 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Donald82:

Walking or running on the flat is the Devil's work. Just avoid it in future and you should be fine.
 Robert Durran 10 Apr 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> Walking or running on the flat is the Devil's work.

Definitely. I fairly regularly do a very flat 13 mile walk which takes about 3 hours and it leaves me far sorer than a big day on the hills. I think it must be the unvaried pounding.
 DaveHK 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Definitely. I fairly regularly do a very flat 13 mile walk.

DofE by any chance? I've started running the routes when supervising and I find it tires me less!
 Robert Durran 10 Apr 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> DofE by any chance? I've started running the routes when supervising and I find it tires me less!

Not D of E (it's the path round Loch Leven) but Bronze D of E can be extraordinarily tiring. I think it is the trying to walk slowly enough without actually falling over backwards that does it (along with the constant stopping and starting). I once felt so shocked at how knackered I felt after after a 2 day training trip that I "punished" myself for my lack of fitness by running it in about three hours next day - I felt absolutely fine!
 toad 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Donald82:
I've spent the last couple of days walking with a friend who uses a wheelchair. I've been going much slower than normal, and I've spent a fair bit of time standing around waiting because everything takes so much longer - toilet breaks, visiting shops, getting in and out of the car. I don't think I've really walked very far in absolute distance, but my instep, ankles and knees are in agony, I think just from the "wrong" pace for me and the standing around, a variation of shoppers back, maybe?
Donald82 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Donald82:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've concluded that it was all of the above - I was bit ill, I haven't done much flat walking and I didn't eat enough. Plus no longer being 22 and being a bit soft.
 UKH Forums 12 Apr 2016
This thread was started in the RUNNING forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 alan moore 12 Apr 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

Sounds familiar! The same could be said about a one mile walk with toddlers, or why walking round a supermarket is harder that walking up a hill...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...