UKC

When to get back at it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
steady63 10 Apr 2016
Used to be in the Alps quite regularly. Then did settling down, married and just recently had the last of our kids (aged 3 and one is 3 weeks) so the Alps has had to sit on the back burner for a while!

Just recently began to get quite fidgity about it all again, considering no more children are planned.

Did anyone have time out for the above and if so, when did you resume your alpine adventures?

abr1966 10 Apr 2016
In reply to steady63:

Soon as you can I'd say! Plan some times where you can get away and if the weather isn't helpful just go walking etc. mine are 21 and 18 now so I have lots of time but I'm diminishing in energy! Enjoy your kids and the hill...my 21 year old lass bought me a pint in the Clachaig this winter....a special moment! She hates outdoor stuff but subliminally is always happy for a trip to Scotland!
All the best...
 wbo 10 Apr 2016
In reply to steady63: I'm a little less positive. You live in Doncaster so the alps ain't a day trip - local stuff you do a.s.a.p. But multiweek trips will call for some skilled domestic politics

steady63 10 Apr 2016
In reply to wbo:
I like that phrase - skilled domestic politics! I think I will need to develop some bartering skills and possibly offer my wife the chance to holiday with her friends first whilst I have the kids and then I can call in a favour!

Hopefully I will stay fit when the kids have grown up so I can take them with me!
 David Rose 11 Apr 2016
In reply to steady63:
Most of us live longer nowadays, and stay fit a lot longer too. If your youngest is only 3 weeks old, and you have two others, I would advise putting the Alps to the back of your mind for a little while yet. Even if your wife agrees to *let* you go, she won't be happy. The mountains will still be there when the kids are a bit older, and once they are all in school, September becomes an obvious time when you can go while causing minimum domestic disruption.

There is nothing more frustrating than going through all that domestic politics and booking a trip - and then spending your time watching the rain lash down through the window of a Chamonix bar. Believe me - I've been there.

A few tips for when you do re-start. In winter, the weather is often more stable. If you stick to the less popular part of the ski season (late January, March) you can book a trip at short notice, when the forecast is good - if you have work flexibility. If not, then you can always ski if conditions are poor - or learn to ski if you don't. Another suggestion: aim for lower regions (the Dolomites or Bregaglia, for example) where acclimatisation is less important and you may be able to come back with some worthwhile routes after only a week.

And when the kids are older, there is nothing better than climbing, skiing and (in my case) caving with them. I got a text from my almost 22 year old daughter last week saying she wants to do the Matterhorn with me next summer. Yay!
Post edited at 10:50
steady63 11 Apr 2016
In reply to David Rose:

Great reply. All makes sense. Was what I thought anyway! Like you say, make the most of the kids as mountains don't go anywhere! And hopefully my lads will come with me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...