UKC

Group bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wiles 10 Apr 2016
Just been at Stanedge for the day and watched a group monopolise a boulder for the whole day! They were clearly under instruction from a couple of instructors.
Is this acceptable or are their etiquette issues here?
In reply to Wiles:

BMC's 'Green Guide for Groups of Climbers' has the following advice

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/Download.aspx?id=1330

Talk to other climbers. There are very
few problems that can’t be solved by
chatting to your neighbours at the crag.
• Avoid taking over whole sections of
crag – it’s usually better to split into
smaller groups and spread out.
• Vacate routes as quickly as possible
after finishing your climb. Leaving top
ropes unattended is poor etiquette –
take them down when you’re finished.
• Avoid top roping popular routes for
extended periods.
• Be considerate to other climbers who
may wish to climb routes your group is
top roping.
• Make your group aware of other users
 Wsdconst 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Wiles:

If you wanna go on it, tell them, people are normally more than happy to let you fall off too.
 alx 10 Apr 2016
In reply to Wiles:

Yawn.

You could have just asked to join in with them.

If they had told you to bog off then you would then you would have the right to be annoyed, otherwise your getting wound up over nothing.
 Bulls Crack 12 Apr 2016
In reply to Wiles:

How utterly boring having to stay on one boulder all day!
 Brass Nipples 12 Apr 2016
In reply to Wiles:

Great, it means the proper climbing is free.

Wsdconst 13 Apr 2016
In reply to Bouldering Ben:

> Might have been this:

Yeah, I've just realised that too when I saw Leah crane and a group of kids posing for a photo at stanage plantation.
OP Wiles 13 Apr 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

Perhaps she should consider others when hogging a boulder for a day!
 Neil Amos 13 Apr 2016
In reply to Wiles:
Clearly they were not "hogging a boulder all day". I say that as I can see many different boulders in the photos, they must have moved around. You were probably unlucky getting there just after they started on one Boulder and were either not confident enough to join in, not patient enough or not prepared to climb on one of the other boulders lying around.
RocUp Holidays 14 Apr 2016
In reply to Wiles:

Hi Wiles,

Really sorry to hear that you felt our PopUp Session was monopolising a boulder for the day.

We were certainly coaching at Stanage Plantation on Sunday and we did bring in Leah Crane and Pete Whittaker for the day to coach our enthusiastic group.
We moved around throughout the day - starting on very basic boulder problems, to let those who had never experienced grit before get used to the friction and movement required, before moving on to tougher test pieces as well. We certainly didn't stay on a single boulder for the whole day - we were trying to let our group experience the Plantation in its entirety.

As we had varying levels of experience and ability as well as to avoid dominating any boulders, we split the group into three smaller ones of 3-4 people. Obviously Stanage Plantation is one of the more popular bouldering destinations in the Peak District, so it is always going to be busy, especially on a lovely day like the 10th April was.
We joined in with others on boulder problems and we would have been more than happy to let you join in with us on whatever problems we were on that day - as many other climbers did.

In case you ever come across us in the future, or any group of friends for that matter, just ask to join in. The beauty of bouldering is that it is a sociable aspect of climbing - everyone is happy to share beta, experiences and cheer one another along.

Again, we are sorry you left feeling that we were dominating a problem or boulder, we certainly did not intend to nor felt that we were on anything long enough for it to seem this way.
If you'd like to speak with us in more detail about it, please feel free to email on info@rocup.uk.

Thanks,

The RocUp team
 Wsdconst 14 Apr 2016
In reply to Wiles:

> Perhaps she should consider others when hogging a boulder for a day!

Perhaps, but if i was in that situation I'd have been happy to watch Leah and Pete climb and I'd be listening to the advice they were offering too, you missed out on a great bit of free coaching there mate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...