UKC

A classic mountain trip up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 11 Apr 2016
I've just come back from a walking trip in the Spanish hills. My companion fell flat on her face necessitating a trip to a medical clinic to have 3 stitches in a wound in her chin. She is not 100% what happened but thinks she either tripped on one of her walking poles (it was broken in half in the fall) or more likely the loop in her boot lace caught in the eye hook of the adjoining boot.

Ether way she was very lucky that it happened on relatively level ground and not on the steep ground we has just descended, or it could have resulted in a very nasty fall. I gave her first aid and she was able to walk down to the hostel in the valley where the owners ran her into a medical clinic in the nearest town and translate for us.

So folk, beware of the loops in your boot lace knots and keep them short!

The Spanish health service was excellent. On production of her EHIC she was seen by a Doctor in the emergency room, given an anti tetanus jab, had the wound stitched and discharged within half an hour of arrival at the clinic. The next day she was given a further check up by the local village Doctor, again with no waiting and given the all clear.

All this for no charge.

A good reason for voting to stay in the EU!

However it is essential that you always carry your EHIC with you in the EU otherwise you will not get free treatment.
 Mark Eddy 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Glad your friend is okay.
I've also needed to use the Spanish health service on a couple of occasions and can echo your words of them being excellent and free.
 d_b 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Glad to hear your friend was sorted out quickly.

I just want to add that the elastic loops on the back of many pairs of gaiters are also an evil trip hazard, especialy if crampons are involved.

My top tip: Tucking them in is good, cutting them and knotting the ends is better.
 Babika 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Trangia:
> All this for no charge.

> A good reason for voting to stay in the EU!

> However it is essential that you always carry your EHIC with you in the EU otherwise you will not get free treatment.

I'm not sure this is really a good reason to vote In!
I've broke my leg last Wednesday skiing in France; the service, like yours, was excellent and I produced my EHIC immediately at which pointed it was waived away and I was told "this is a private medical service". I paid 320 euros for the consultation, X-rays and plaster on the fracture and my friend was sent on a bus to the pharmacy with a prescription for crutches, anti-coagulant injections, replacement plaster and codeine which came to a further 180 euros. There was no ambulance back to my accommodation so a further 45 euros went on a taxi and the piste "blood wagon" service was settled separately.

I then had to arrange a different repatriation flight home as I needed 3 seats to elevate my leg.

Fortunately I had holiday insurance so everything will be covered but I'm mightily glad to be back in the UK with our utterly brilliant NHS care where credit cards are not mandatory.

The alternative, in the French hospital bed next door, was a nanny who didn't have the 70 euros for a pair of crutches and was on the phone to a friend asking to come and pick her up and give a piggyback!!

Moral: Not all EU countries are the same. By all means carry your EHIC but don't put all faith in it.

And I'm still inclined towards Brexit........
 Dell 12 Apr 2016
In reply to Trangia:

The EHIC works in the European Economic Area (EEA), slightly different from the EU. It is possible for us to leave the EU but stay in the EEA, in which case the EHIC will still be valid. In the event of us leaving the EEA as well, it is expected that reciprocal healthcare agreements will be put in place, as we currently have with many non EU/EEA countries, including Australia, Macedonia and Serbia.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/NonEEAcountries/...
OP Trangia 12 Apr 2016
In reply to Babika:
The moral of my story was more about the potential evils of long lace loops than staying n the EU which was a tongue in cheek throw in!

However Dell's contribution about the EEA was interesting.

Sorry to hear about your skiing accident, I wish you a speedy recovery.
Post edited at 07:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...