UKC

Red River Gorge second half of November??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ed Booth 13 Apr 2016
Hi all, looking into different venues for a potential trip in second half of November. I have heard that the crags don't seep here, but in general is it a good time of year to go or is October better normally? Cheers Ed
 Offwidth 13 Apr 2016
In reply to Ed Booth:

Not been but know some people who have who I think went then. MP indicates its not prime time but still fairly good.

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/red-river-gorge/105841134
 1poundSOCKS 13 Apr 2016
In reply to Ed Booth:

I was there late September and it was a bit warm and humid, but I prefer that to potentially how cold it could get in November, based on a friend who went at that time last year. October sounds like a good compromise to me.
 climbingpixie 13 Apr 2016
In reply to Ed Booth:

October is the prime climbing season (unless you get unlucky like we were and it pisses down for 2 weeks straight) however it will be utterly rammed. I've never been to a busier climbing area and it really spoiled the experience, it was grim. If I ever went back I'd take colder weather in November and fewer hordes.
 1234None 14 Apr 2016
In reply to Ed Booth:

I have been for thanksgiving from early to mid November and it was cold but sunny...perfect conditions I thought! A lot of perma-dry stuff even if it does rain. Amazing place with some truly great lines. Enjoy!

OP Ed Booth 14 Apr 2016
In reply to 1234None: what sort of temps did you have roughly ? Thanks

Offwidth 14 Apr 2016
In reply to Ed Booth:
Look at the link I posted it gives average temps and a range and a huge number of comments from people climbing routes at that time of year.
Post edited at 09:05
 1234None 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Ed Booth:

It was cold...down to around freezing during the night but then between 10-12 celsius during the day. Felt warm climbing in the sun, but needed down jackets for belaying. Climbing in shade fine too once warmed up. Roadside gets plenty of sun in the morning if i recall correctly so we warmed up there on a few days then headed off elsewhere... We camped at Miguels, and even that was fine in cold weather.

In reply to Ed Booth:

We went last year 15t Sept to the end of October. It was a great time to go to see the autumn colours.
When we arrived it was quite warm but you just found the shady crags and climbed on them and temps were fine. If you got in the sun it really was too hot at the start of the trip but cooled down by October.
Was really pleased we had not gone later in the year and would not go myself in November.
Recommend looking at Lago Lindas camping it has a good chill out room if you go later in the year which is good for the dark nights.
http://lagolinda.com/

Went to a different crag nearly every day and did not find them too busy apart from one or two.

Have a good trip wherever you get to!!
 Aigen 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Ed Booth:
I spent the month of October there. Then we moved on to Indian creek for November. September is still to hot / humid. The issue with November is its cold and what happens is in the morning the fog makes the crags wet. If the day is too cold and doesn't heat up the fog/dew never burns off. A trick we where told to test if the crag would be dry is when you park your car feel the inside of the guard rail at the road. If its still wet then the crag is still wet. Saves walking in to a wet crag. October seems to be the best month to go. Just remember that it is bloody cold at night there in October so if camping wrap it. Its below freezing every night. But during the day its tops of temperature.
Get training because its a pump fest there like Ceuse.
Post edited at 11:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...