UKC

Climbing after a laparotomy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sarmarks 14 Apr 2016
Has anyone got any advice on how long it takes to recover from a laparotomy and when to start climbing again? Obviously the incision goes through the abdominal muscles so I'm aware it will be several weeks but will be desperate to get back on it asap! I know keyhole is a much quicker recovery but unfortunately this has to be done open. Any advice or people's own experience would be greatly received.
Thanks,
Sarah
 MischaHY 14 Apr 2016
In reply to sarmarks:

My advice is rest, rest, rest. Go walking, explore crags, make a wishlist and plan how you're going to tick it. Get yourself good and strong and you'll have a much better time and no chance of re-injuring.
 ben b 14 Apr 2016
In reply to sarmarks:

I'd strongly advise against doing any climbing for 3 months or so...

You do need to get up and walking around the house pretty quickly but may well feel fairly knackered for the first week or two. Once the clips/stitches are out (if indeed they need to come out) at 1-2 weeks start getting gently back in to walking and gentle rehab exercises, but generally avoid lifting (i.e causing strong sustained or explosive abdo muscle work) for a month. Walking over uneven ground will bring back core strength and help general post-op wobbliness. It's a pretty significant incision and needs time to heal properly. Most folk who have laparotomies aren't young climbers of course, but physios are often pretty clued up about exercise and so pick their brains when you are on the ward.

Good luck with the recovery - slow and steady wins the race!

Cheers

b
OP sarmarks 15 Apr 2016
In reply to MischaHY:

Thanks for your advice! Rest it is.
Sarah
OP sarmarks 15 Apr 2016
In reply to ben b:

Appreciate your advice. I will definitely hunt down the physios while an inpatient.
Sarah
 MischaHY 15 Apr 2016
In reply to sarmarks:

No problem, Sarah. Have fun healing Seems like a great excuse to get super clued up on ropework and skills as well... Things I never seem to find time for unless injured!
 Alex Riley 15 Apr 2016
In reply to MischaHY:

My wife had this as a result of a car crash, She was bouldering gently 2-3 months later. She was seconding e4 at the end of the third month.

The first month was hard and painful, she wasn't doing very much. Although that might have been more from the crash injury (perforated bowel).
 the sheep 15 Apr 2016
In reply to sarmarks:

There was a thread about someone in a similar position a while ago.
From personal experience of an open hemicolectamy rest up and give yourself plenty of time to recover.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=606289&v=1#x7960605
OP sarmarks 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Alex Riley:

Thanks for this- hopefully like your wife I should be getting back on it by the end of the summer then
OP sarmarks 16 Apr 2016
In reply to the sheep:
Thanks that's really helpful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...