UKC

hardening skin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 14 Apr 2016

Ive read a few suggestions online about ways to toughen hands and yes I totally agree that doing manual work is the way to do it. However as my work involves wearing latex gloves (actually nitrile now) most of the day my hands get soft and the skin tears easily.
Outside of work I work with my hands a lot either climbing, DIY, on the bike or on the car so my hands get trashed quite easily. The palms arent too bad its mostly the backs of the hands and fingers that are scabbed, which then peels off when I put on and take off gloves at work.
What would you suggest I can use, (some say brine, others say no to brine) anecdotal suggestions are welcomed in preference to heresay please.
Post edited at 10:39
 SouthernSteve 14 Apr 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

Stripping the fats and waxes in the stratum corneum using surgical spirit will cause mild hyperplasia of the epidermis which will become thicker (calloused). However real tearing would suggest a dermal rather than epidermal issue as beyond the hard outer layer of the skin (think shell) it is the dermal collagens, elastin and ground substance that gives the skin its tensile strength (e.g. when this is thinned as after steroid cream application, tears are more common). Do you mean that? If so see a doctor.

To stop the sweatiness of the gloves, you could try cotton liners.
OP The Potato 14 Apr 2016

I would say it looks and feels like skin after using corticosteroids, though the elasticity is normal.
Ok depends on your definition of tearing, Id say cuts and grazes easily and heals slowly.
Cant wear cotton liners as that would affect dexterity which is essential.

More suggestions please!
 WildCamper 14 Apr 2016

Ive heard of people using pee!
Something to do with the urea content i think...

ive also seen potassium permangonate solution used for this purpose too
 Baron Weasel 14 Apr 2016

Brine has worked wonders on my feet when i had various issue from practically living in rock shoe's. Climb On balm is also great for trashed hands.
 SouthernSteve 14 Apr 2016
In reply to WildCamper:

> Ive heard of people using pee!
You can buy urea based ointments and cream, the urea traps water and is usually used for hard skin to soften it.
 SenzuBean 14 Apr 2016

Sometimes when I know I'll be wearing boots all day, and will probably be pruning my feet - I rub my feet with a thin layer of sudocrem to prevent moisture uptake. Usually works quite well and prevents them from getting too soggy. I wonder if you could do this on the back of your hands before putting the gloves on? Might be worth experimenting.
In reply to SenzuBean:

I've been putting some on before bed, I'll try in the day instead
In reply to Baron Weasel:

I was looking at climb on balm, just don't want anything that'll soften my skin any more
 Wsdconst 14 Apr 2016

Use the kungfu method, a bucket of sand, there's probably a video on YouTube.
 3leggeddog 14 Apr 2016

Antihydral cream works well but use it carefully.

Aluminum oxide will dry and crack skin................ It may be bad ?????????????

Get a bucket of sand and repeatedly shove your hands into it. This is a guaranteed solution.
 Lurking Dave 15 Apr 2016

In my experience softer, pliable skin is stronger and less likely to split/crack.... moisturize.

Cheers
LD
 Baron Weasel 15 Apr 2016

Climb On is good stuff and in my experience makes the skin stronger - apparently it smells the same as some expensive Elizabeth Arden vitamin E cream.
 NottsRich 15 Apr 2016

I've surgical spirit to harden skin on feet. A dab with cotton wool each day for a few weeks did the job. Not recommending it, but it worked for me.

Talcum powder after a long day in boots really helps to dry feet out. Perhaps put some talc on your hands before putting gloves on?

Someone suggested cotton liners but you said it would reduce dexterity too much. I don't know what you do, but I've used liners and nitrile gloves for some pretty fiddly things and been fine. The liners are very thin...

SenzuBean 15 Apr 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

> Someone suggested cotton liners but you said it would reduce dexterity too much. I don't know what you do, but I've used liners and nitrile gloves for some pretty fiddly things and been fine. The liners are very thin...

You could cut the fingertips off the liners - problem solved!

OP The Potato 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

ive seen that ages ago, forgot about it, might have to give it a try.

I've literally just been talking to a consultant at Ysbyty Gwynedd and she recommends applying Cider vinegar.
OP The Potato 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Sweet, good old yg. I like cider vinegar
 Brass Nipples 15 Apr 2016

Rubbing alcohol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...