UKC

Head cams of cyclists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 15 Apr 2016
Why do cyclists think it is OK to film while cycling on the road? I don't want a random stranger filming me. It seems an infringement of my privacy.

Accept the road is a dangerous place - most car/lorry drivers find your presence an annoyance. Accept the risks and get on with it but don't film me in the process.

I don't have any problems with cyclist at all just the filming

Bet they don't film themselves jumping red lights and undertaking or riding two abreast so no one can overtake!!

bleddynmawr 15 Apr 2016
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

Is this a troll? If not, take cover....
KevinD 15 Apr 2016
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I would go for 0/10
 illepo 15 Apr 2016

are you thus also having a go at people who have dashcams in cars, motorbikes, buses, lorries?

or is it only cyclist with cameras that annoy you?
 Brass Nipples 15 Apr 2016

0/10 a shit troll
 d_b 15 Apr 2016
It's OK. Their helmets aren't really up to having a camera pushed through them so the camera means you are almost guaranteed to get a kill if you hit them in the right place.

You might get your hands dirty rummaging around in the skull to retrieve the memory card though, so take gloves.

Alternatively don't drive like a nob and they won't put you on youtube.
Post edited at 10:06
Rigid Raider 15 Apr 2016

You need to get this in perspective. Every couple of miles your car registration is read and noted by an ANPR camera. Every few yards in town you are filmed on CCTV. Probably once a day you might appear for a fleeting second or two on somebody's dash cam or helmet cam.

....and yes, there are plenty of us cyclists who are embarrassed by the antics of red light jumpers and pavement riders and some of us even film them and take issue with them. Unfortunately most of the public are not capable of distinguishing between a cyclist and an idiot who happens to be riding a bike.
 Brown 15 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I've always been slightly confused by the idea that my helmet, designed to withstand the impact of rocks will implode when a camera is attached to it.

You are right about needing gloves though to fish memory cards out of brains though.
iusedtoclimb 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Brown:

Not a troll and I am not anti cyclist and give them the respect they are due

I just don't want to be filmed by a random stranger
 d_b 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Brown:

Most road cycling helmets aren't really designed to withstand sharp things like rocks though. Mine certainly doesn't appear to be anyway.
 Mike Stretford 15 Apr 2016

> Accept the road is a dangerous place - most car/lorry drivers find your presence an annoyance. Accept the risks and get on with it but don't film me in the process.

You need to accept the road is a public place and thus filming is permissible. If you do not wish your dangerous driving to be filmed then don't drive dangerously.
Removed User 15 Apr 2016

The public highway is a public place, so anyone and everyone can film anything they like anytime they like.
Deal with it.
 chris fox 15 Apr 2016

Most cars these days have dash cams. I've recently bought front and rear cameras, front one due to the fact a woman jumping a row of queued traffic and having a head-on game of chicken. The car directly behind me stopped all the traffic to tell me she'd happily be a witness if i wanted to report her.

Oh and it's not illegal to ride two abreast

Rule 66 of the highway code
You should

keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
keep both feet on the pedals
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

iusedtoclimb 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford:

But why do they do it? What do they hope to gain by it

The cyclist should accept the road has it dangers, lots of drivers are antagonistic to them and deal with it. By filming me what do they hope to achieve? I wasn't driving dangerously and certainly will not make me drive differently it is just intruding into my life

Also didn't now cars and vans have them as well!
 lummox 15 Apr 2016

Wow. Not a troll you say ?

As someone has already pointed out, you are surveilled every few fecking metres by a random stranger.

Does that make you feel dirty inside ?
iusedtoclimb 15 Apr 2016
In reply to chris fox:

it may not be illegal to ride two abreast but when you are happily chinwagging to your mate and there is a 10 car tail back I would suggest it isn't a sensible way to ride
 Rob Parsons 15 Apr 2016
In reply to chris fox:

> Most cars these days have dash cams.

Really?
 chris fox 15 Apr 2016

Just set of a minute or two earlier then and you won't get stuck behind them !!!!
 chris fox 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:
Yes, my builder has one, and i was driving behind a woman to work the other day and could see her dash cam hanging down from the mirror. You can get them as cheap as £30 off the net and they just take an SD card and loop record

Edit: I wasn't referring to new cars by the way. Maybe not "most",but if you look closely at a lot of cars you'll see them
Post edited at 10:41
 LastBoyScout 15 Apr 2016

Wished I'd had mine on on Tuesday when stupid driver left it to the last second to pull out from the right and then almost immediately turned left across me.

I also wished I'd been wearing my motorbike gloves, as wouldn't have bruised my knuckles so much banging on her window to stop her flattening me.
iusedtoclimb 15 Apr 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

So if you had one what would you had done with the film?
 d_b 15 Apr 2016
In reply to chris fox:

That looks like a pretty good mount for filming routes as well. How is it for vibration?
 ScraggyGoat 15 Apr 2016
Seriously considering a camera myself. Of three collision I've been in (driving and cycling for multiple decades), the other parties have tried to deny responsibility, on the latest it resulted in broken bones to myself.

Fortunately one perjured themselves, and due to the location and nature of the other two collisions the third parties insurance both accepted 100% liability for their insurees actions, even though the drivers were trying to deny responsibility.

On the latest and most serious collision all witnesses left the scene leaving me in the road (oh look he's moving can't be that serious, its only a cyclist, lets carry on our journey....bastards). If the driver had lied and said I'd been on the pavement and hopped off to cross the side road, rather than being on the main road with myself having priority, they would probably have got away with it. If I had a camera not only would the insurance case have been even more straightforward, but the procurator fiscal would probably have taken the dangerous driving charge the police filed to court.

So a camera for a cyclist are not 'toys', if you are in an accident try and make sure the witnesses don't bugger off, and if you witness an accident stop and give your details as you are required by law even if you think the other parties are OK....they may not be, or their bike/car may not be!

People don't accept responsibility for their actions or tell the truth, in the event of injury a camera will!
Post edited at 11:07
 The New NickB 15 Apr 2016

> I just don't want to be filmed by a random stranger

You need to lobby for a change in the law then. I don't fancy your chances though, as it has been happening since the invention of photography.
iusedtoclimb 15 Apr 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

looks like I am the only person who doesn't like being filmed by cyclists!

Or maybe I am expressing my grumpy side on the wrong website
> But why do they do it? What do they hope to gain by it

Drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists are using small video cameras primarily so in the event of an accident caused by somebody else, they have proof of who was liable. Of course they can also use them to report illegal actions to the police. Photographic evidence from the public has always been admissible, the tech has just moved on.

In Russia were the accident rate is much higher most cars have them. I've noticed they are getting more common in cars now here, I don't think I'd be far off assuming the same proportion of cyclist uses them as drivers (in each case a ratio to the total number of cylists/drivers).
Post edited at 11:10

> looks like I am the only person who doesn't like being filmed by cyclists!

If you didn't like being filmed by anyone, that would be understandable.... but it seems odd you're just bothered about being filmed by cyclists.
 lummox 15 Apr 2016

> Or maybe I am expressing my grumpy side on the wrong website

You would probably get a mutual w*nkfest going on on the Top Gear site or similar ?
 Neil Williams 15 Apr 2016

> Why do cyclists think it is OK to film while cycling on the road? I don't want a random stranger filming me. It seems an infringement of my privacy.

In the UK it is legal to photograph and film in a public place. You do not legally require permission to do so.
Lusk 15 Apr 2016

I don't any cameras to record my embarrassing incidents.
I don't need motorists to cause my accidents.
Yesterday I fell off the bike a couple of 100yds from home at the junction onto the main road, just as a car was turning into it.
Get up and out the way in time though. The remaining 26.5 miles passed without incident.
 chris fox 15 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I had the Garmin one which is moulded plastic and on main roads where the roads aren't that smooth then there was some ghosting at times. On smoother roads it was fine. Returned it and bought the K-edge aluminium extruded bracket which is supposed to be much better as it's got virtually no flex.

Not tested it out yet

Chris
 rallymania 15 Apr 2016

removing the emotion for a minute...

accept the road is a dangerous place? should it be? why?
most car / lorry drivers find your presence an annoyance? why should their annoyance be more important then anyone else's? important point to remember... pedestrians and cyclist have an absolute right to use the "road" (pavement in the case of pedestrians) cars / lorries etc use the road by license.
why should anyone have to accept the risks of using the road? isn't it better that we stop accepting the risks and start making it safer?
you don't have a problem with cyclists? but you have said you only have a problem with cyclist filming you? you don't have a problem with everyone else who is / might be filming you? but it's not anti cyclist?

is it the same cyclists that are filming (you) that are jumping red lights?
why do you think you have a right to privacy in a public place from cyclists when you don't have that same privacy from say a photographer at the side of the road? what's the difference? except that you don't like cyclists... I mean don't like cyclists filming you?

I'm a cyclist, car driver and an amateur photographer... the very first time I attached my gopro to my car windscreen (just for a test) I was able to use the footage to help the police locate a van thief... maybe I shouldn't have done that just in case I filmed you by accident? I'm sure the van owner would be happy to agree with you? oh no wait because I was a car driver that journey it was OK?
iusedtoclimb 15 Apr 2016
In reply to rallymania:

Actually I have a problem with anyone filming me or taking my photo without my permission

I accept there is CCTV and speed cameras but don't want anyone else filming me

Didn't know cars/vans had cameras in

As to the risks - they are there they will not change unless there are cycle paths. Whether right or wrong the risks are a fact that will not change. Driving to work today people wouldn't move over for an ambulance with lights flashing, they certainly aren't go to drive more carefully when they meet a cyclist with a camera on.
 lummox 15 Apr 2016

.. and you have just elegantly demonstrated why more and more people ride with headcams.
 LastBoyScout 15 Apr 2016

> So if you had one what would you had done with the film?

Reported her for dangerous driving and handed the film to the police. I've had a few near misses, but she's the first one in a long time that's actually hit me.
 Rob Parsons 15 Apr 2016

FWIW I think the whole concept of both 'headcams' on cyclists and 'dashcams' in cars is miserable. What sort of paranoid/selfish society are we living in where things like that can be accepted as becoming the 'norm'?
 lummox 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

do you ride to work on a regular basis Rob ?
 wbo 15 Apr 2016
If they won't pull over for an ambulance they they're wrong, and driving inconsiderately is wrong. And you're old enough to know two wrongs don't make a right.

As an aside aren't you disturbed by the UK being the country in the world with the highest density of CCTV. Your inconsiderate driving is being constantly monitored!
 rallymania 15 Apr 2016

you'll need to petition your MP then to change the law because right now anyone has the right to film / photograph you in a public place.

the risks to cyclist might change if every journey they do could be done on a cycle track yes, but the risks of using the road will still be there for everyone else. you still haven't answered why you think motorist have more rights than cyclists? you are exhibiting typical tribal behaviour (them vs us) there's nothing logical in your view point that can be discussed. you berate some cyclist for jumping red lights... what about the similarly small number of car drivers who do the same or the quite large number who drive over the speed limit? how about the selfish ones who drink drive?

how many car drivers have been killed by a bicycle? how many cyclists have been killed by a car? is blaming the victim ever going to stop the crime?
 olliehales 15 Apr 2016

Absolute non-issue.

Surely there are other things worth worrying about?

Rob Parsons 15 Apr 2016
In reply to lummox:

> do you ride to work on a regular basis Rob ?

I used to; not currently.
 Tony the Blade 15 Apr 2016

> Not a troll and I am not anti cyclist
Yes you are, otherwise you could have mentioned other road users that carry cameras.

Good luck with that pal. There are cameras everywhere these days. Would you also say to a random copper that they couldn't film you? They now carry vest mounted cameras.

Get a grip and stop breaking the law - why else would you be so afraid of being caught on camera?

> Didn't know cars/vans had cameras in

Yup, loads of dash cams, check out youtube videos people have uploaded.

At least when it's a cyclist filming you can see what they're doing with their hands....
 ActionSte 15 Apr 2016

The thing that confuses me about this is why? What is it about being filmed that you find so uncomfortable?

I can understand paranoia from any type of surveillance which the government has access too in order to track your movements such as CCTV, it can all seem very 1984, but people with headcams will pretty much just delete the video of any rides should nothing happen and not care less that you, or hundreds, possibly thousands of other people are in the footage. Why exactly does it bother? just trying to understand
 Greasy Prusiks 15 Apr 2016

Isn't it worth the small inconvenience of bike cameras if it makes cyclists safer?
iusedtoclimb 15 Apr 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

I find it intrusive. Everyone above seems happy to be filmed and have their picture taken at every occasion. I don't want people intruding into my life

I also don't see the point of them and this need to film everything so you can sue.

Why should I be on you tube or where ever.

Why should someone think it is acceptable to film my kids?

I have to give my childrens school permission to use my kids pictures but it seems Ok for someone on a bike or in a car to film them and why?

Its puts up an immediate confrontation between the different types of road user. Someone is filming me so they can sue me if need be. Great way to start a relationship between strangers!

iusedtoclimb 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

My arguement is it doesn't make them safer at all

As I said above people are not prepared to move over for an ambulance with lights flashing so are not going to worry about a camera
 Tony the Blade 15 Apr 2016

> Someone is filming me so they can sue me if need be.

OR

Someone is filming me so they can sue me if I nearly kill them.
 hokkyokusei 15 Apr 2016

> ... Driving to work today people wouldn't move over for an ambulance with lights flashing, they certainly aren't go to drive more carefully when they meet a cyclist with a camera on.

You see, to me, that's just an argument in favour of ambulances having dash-cams, to record the pr!cks that won't get out of their way.
 rallymania 15 Apr 2016

so who exactly is the problem then? the car drivers who don't move out the way or the cyclist who filmed them?

as for the public filming thing... as several people have tried to point out to you, you are blaming cyclists for filming because you can see the cameras, but you probably should be more worried about the cameras you don't notice. despite what some people have said, I still think it's a relatively small number of cameras in use at the moment.
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Guys in my office have cameras filming their properties with a permanent window open on their computer screens at work.
 Greasy Prusiks 15 Apr 2016

I'm not sure whether it does effect safety, I haven't looked for any evidence. I'd imagine it does, or at least increase prosecutions. Regardless it doesn't bother me personally.
 tony 15 Apr 2016

> I find it intrusive. Everyone above seems happy to be filmed and have their picture taken at every occasion. I don't want people intruding into my life

> I also don't see the point of them and this need to film everything so you can sue.

Accidents between different road users are not uncommon. Quite often, it's one person's word against the other as to where fault lies. Video of the image can be used to help corroborate one person's side of the story. Personally, I think it's a good thing if road users can be held to account for their actions.
 andy 15 Apr 2016

> I find it intrusive. Everyone above seems happy to be filmed and have their picture taken at every occasion. I don't want people intruding into my life

How is it "intruding"?

> I also don't see the point of them and this need to film everything so you can sue.

The point is to ensure that if people drive like dicks they can be dealt with appropriately.

> Why should I be on you tube or where ever.

Don't drive like a dick then

> Why should someone think it is acceptable to film my kids?

Because if they're in a public place it's acceptable - why wouldn't it be? I suspect that their inclusion in any film would be incidental, rather than deliberate.

> I have to give my childrens school permission to use my kids pictures but it seems Ok for someone on a bike or in a car to film them and why?

Because if they're in a public place then it's perfectly legal. Perhaps keep them in a cupboard?

> Its puts up an immediate confrontation between the different types of road user. Someone is filming me so they can sue me if need be. Great way to start a relationship between strangers!

Don't drive like a dick then.

PS Are you Ronnie Pickering?

> Or maybe I am expressing my grumpy side on the wrong website

Yeah. You need to go back the the Daily Mail website.
In reply to captain paranoia:
Alternatively we can come up with this as a solution.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/elderly-betrayed-in-their-homes-2zf6pf08b

Maybe George Orwell was ahead of his time.
Post edited at 13:15
cb294 15 Apr 2016

F*ck off. Anything that helps stop criminal, reckless drivers endangering cyclists, who have a legal right to use roads as well (with exceptions, of course) is to be applauded.

Of course it would be much preferred if motorists gave cyclists the protection (e.g., sideways distance, dipping of headlights) that is mandated by law and should in any case be common sense and common courtesy. Seriously, are car divers not aware that they are endangering the life of a cyclist by passing too closely?

Next best, given that this not happening in real life, would be if the police could actually be arsed to do their job and enforce these laws.

Given that the police don´t give a shit, using cameras is just the next, mild escalation step.

CB
In reply to L'Eeyore:

That wouldn't be Big Brother, though; it would be Big Son, or Big Daughter...

Having been burgled recently, I'm considering fitting cameras. They're a damned sight cheaper than the bike that was stolen...
 d_b 15 Apr 2016

Make sure they send the images somewhere off site or you risk having the evidence nicked along with your valuables.
 ActionSte 15 Apr 2016

As far as cyclists with cameras, i think its a good idea. Whilst i dont have a camera myself, ive been in several near misses where i could have been seriously injured through no fault of my own, one example is i was overtaken by a car who immediately pulled into a junction meters in front causing me to have to apply brakes and swerve into the centre of the road.

Should this have resulted in an accident, the driver could simply say he had slowed down to make the turn and i had tried to undertake meaning i would be in the wrong. Id then have to pay damages to his vehicle and all the rest that goes with it. A camera would prove otherwise.

It is a sad state of affairs that people arent more honest over these things, but cameras are a perfectly legitimate way of calling bulls%^t.

With regards to morons who post videos on youtube of cars coming to close and them shouting out registration numbers - I agree, theyre morons, they need to grow a pair and get over it.

And i dont think its any cyclists intention to film you or your kids unless theyre pointing the camera directly at you. In which case, yeah its probably a bit creepy and you should express yourself to them. If they're wizzing past with the flow of traffic, then I cant see how you think theyre filming you specifically and not the entire world around them.

Id love to know the events which brought this post on? It might help people understand your problem a bit more

Is it really the correct solution?

For someone who has a user name of 'captain paranoia', might I suggest that going to see your GP would help.

wintertree 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> FWIW I think the whole concept of both 'headcams' on cyclists and 'dashcams' in cars is miserable.

It's going to crank up a notch. A lot of the autonomous features now shipping use cameras all around the car to spot hazards. Autonomy is increasing in terms of number of vehicles deployed and degree of automation.

One day a large number of vehicles will automatically shop dangerous road users. That would make sound financial sense in a world where the insurance liability rests with the manufactures of autonomous cars and not their passengers; this is the insurance model being pushed for by parts of the autonomous car industry.

> What sort of paranoid/selfish society are we living in where things like that can be accepted as becoming the 'norm'?

One where a significant fraction of the people causing damage to other people's property and physical health are lying scum who try and deny responsibility for their actions?

My big hope of autonomous cars reporting offences in real time is that they gather sufficient evidence to put car passengers who litter into stocks in my local market place.
Post edited at 13:57
In reply to L'Eeyore:

Having a £3k bike stolen isn't funny. And it's not just about the money.

Not to mention what a pain it is to have to try to find another bike that suits me and the riding I do. And the knowledge that I am now doomed to spend the next n years checking every bike I see, in the hope that I might spot it.

It stops being funny when you've had four bikes stolen, and broken into on a number of occasions. What I'd really like to do is fit anti-personnel devices into the window frames, but the law takes a dim view on that. So if I can get evidence on the scrotes to convict them and potentially recover my property, I'll have to settle for that.
Post edited at 14:05
In reply to davidbeynon:

Really? Well, I hadn't thought of that...

<yes, of course I had>
 d_b 15 Apr 2016

I just thought I would mention it as it is the sort of schoolboy error lots of people make. I actually do know one person who had the laptop with all his security camera images nicked.

> Having a £3k bike stolen isn't funny. And it's not just about the money.

I didn't mean to imply it was funny, so sorry if my post came across that way.

I just have a view that increased surveillance isn't the right way to stop theft - it needs a mixture of approaches and the main one (in my opinion) is educating people that theft is wrong. And I don't mean going back to having stocks in the local market.

Apologies if I caused any offense.
 d_b 15 Apr 2016
In reply to L'Eeyore:

I'm sure that will work brilliantly. Why did nobody think of telling people that stealing is wrong?

In the mean time: land mines.
paultry 15 Apr 2016

I use a bike mounted camera and I'm bloody glad that I do. Last year some silly arse taxi driver pulled out on me at a mini-roundabout (it was daytime, I was in the middle of the lane, was wearing hi-vis and had lights on) and wrote off my brand new Colnago C60 which was worth about £5k. He just drove straight off, leaving me on the ground.

If it weren't for the camera he would have got away with it as there was no one else around. Instead I took the footage to the police and got a new bike on his insurance and I believe he's lost his taxi licence.

So, apologies if you don't like being filmed, but f*cking deal with it.
 wintertree 15 Apr 2016
In reply to L'Eeyore:

> it needs a mixture of approaches and the main one (in my opinion) is educating people that theft is wrong.

I'm pretty sure the miserable scroats that stole my last bike knew theft was wrong.

If it wasn't for the evidence that it wouldn't decrease future theft I'd be all over the stocks for a first offence...
 Brass Nipples 15 Apr 2016

Don't be a dick then.

wintertree 15 Apr 2016

> I don't want people intruding into my life

That would be why the law prohibits a stranger coming in to your house and filming you.

There's over a century of legal precident on filming and public places. You do understand that the highway is a public place? Do you get angry when people *look* at you in public?

As far as I can tell, the only difference with a cyclist filming things is that it's much more visible or at least noticeable than other cases.
 don macb 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

a lost cause, i suspect...
 AndyC 15 Apr 2016

Oops! I seem to have randomly filmed someone's child on the way home today... guess I'd better be off to the cop-shop to hand myself in...

youtube.com/watch?v=cUnrR-QM6YI&

Trevers 15 Apr 2016

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carltonreid/10739147314/in/photostream/lightb...

You missed some. 3/10, try harder next time.
Removed User 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> What sort of paranoid/selfish society are we living in where things like that can be accepted as becoming the 'norm'?

The sort of society where normal people like you and me have a detached and cavalier attitude to someone else's life when we are driving a car and they are on a bicycle or motorbike.
 Trevers 15 Apr 2016
In reply to cb294:

> Given that the police don´t give a shit, using cameras is just the next, mild escalation step.

From my recent experience, the police more than simply don't give a shit. I voluntarily went to them with video footage of an unprovoked and extremely dangerous punishment pass. They told me to go away. I demanded good valid reasons for their refusal to take action. They more-or-less (implied) threatened me with a public order prosecution if I persisted, because I swore in the video footage.
 Trevers 15 Apr 2016

And another point in favour of video footage - I often go back through the footage after my rides if there was an incident, and often pick up on some mistake I made so I learn from that the next time
 antdav 15 Apr 2016
Having 3 cars hit me (side road, roundabout and reversing out of a bay) through zero fault of my own, in 4 months of 8 miles per day I can see why they are more common.

Cameras make idiot drivers who previously thought they could treat cyclists like trash, think twice. If I get injured and can't work I don't get paid and could lose a big contract, evidence means the drivers insurance pays for losses caused by someone else's mistakes.

What's the bets the OP just got done my some video footage.
Removed User 15 Apr 2016
In reply to antdav:

> What's the bets the OP just got done my some video footage.

Exactly what I was thinking, or at least got filmed while driving like a homicidal prick, and is now trawling forums for reassurance while his arse is knitting socks.
 Kieran_John 15 Apr 2016

I use a cam, and can reassure you that if you happen to be passed, or pass, a cyclist with a camera on then no-one will ever see that footage unless something goes wrong.

I record about 2 hours a day and never watch it, unless something vaguely interesting happens. I.E a flood to show others in my area:

youtube.com/watch?v=ayaWYGJ6pEA&t=44

or crazy people:

youtube.com/watch?v=i_7KiWCxCcE&

In reply to L'Eeyore:

Okay. I'll put up cameras, and some signs on my windows that say 'stealing is wrong'. Or maybe 'every time you burgle a house, baby Jesus cries'. I'm sure that'll work.

Apology accepted; you hit a very raw nerve.

Thank you for accepting my apologies, I'm genuinely sorry if my post came across wrongly - if we were in the same room we would be having a manly/womanly hug or at least a handshake, the internet can be difficult at times.
 stewieatb 15 Apr 2016

> I wasn't driving dangerously and certainly will not make me drive differently it is just intruding into my life

Interesting phrasing. I take it a cyclist has filmed you driving like a f*ckmuppet and put it on Youtube?

In which case - have you considered not driving like a f*ckmuppet?
 Trevers 15 Apr 2016
> I wasn't driving dangerously and certainly will not make me drive differently it is just intruding into my life

If you did nothing wrong then why don't you show us the video footage and dispel all these doubts?
Post edited at 23:05
KevinD 16 Apr 2016
In reply to KevinD:

> I would go for 0/10

judging from the number of responses I guess I was wrong. Although it was cheating responding within the first hundred or so.
 Brass Nipples 16 Apr 2016

Don't drive like a c@ckwomble

I film because it annoys non cyclists - nothing warms the cockles like invading someone's privacy as they smack my handlebars with their wing mirrors or scream at me when I overtake them in traffic.
 cliff shasby 21 Apr 2016

I might buy one of these to film the cyclists riding 2 abreast or more on busy roads...
afghanidan 21 Apr 2016

> Not a troll and I am not anti cyclist and give them the respect they are due

So why only mention random strangers on bikes? As others have pointed out, many cars, motorbikes and buses carry cameras and traffic cameras and cctv are clocking you every other step.
 Tom Valentine 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Removed Userrabthecairnterrier:
Go to your local junior school and film the kids coming out onto the public highway where you are standing with your camera.See how many days you can get away with it, even though the photographing of children in public places is not illegal.
Post edited at 15:19
 Justin Reid 21 Apr 2016

What do you think cyclists or dash cam users are doing with the footage? These types of cams record on a loop, overwriting over time or on each journey. Footage is only used if other road users act irresponsibly or an accident results from careless road use (either party).

Think you need to get your mind out of the gutter, no one is interested unless there's reason to be.

I would however say, that footage of such acts should not be used for public shaming, rather for reporting to the relevant authorities and/or insurance companies.
In reply to Tom Valentine:

That's somewhat different to filming whilst moving along the road; you would be deliberately targetting the school entrance with a prolonged shot.

And the trouble you would encounter would be 'crazed mob justice'. The police might advise you to move on to prevent a breach of the peace (i.e. getting your head kicked in), but. like you, I'm pretty sure there's no other impediment to such filming.
 Tom Valentine 21 Apr 2016

I was only taking issue with the notion that you can take photos/film anywhere on a public highway, as claimed by a couple of people on here.
In practice, you can't.
 FreshSlate 21 Apr 2016
I'm pretty sure I've seen videos/photos of primary schools with kids in them. Sure if you are hanging outside a primary school gates for any length of time with no apparent reason (camera or not) you might be asked questions, on the other hand, if you have any sensible reason at all to be filming you're unlikely to be bothered.

What's your point?
Post edited at 23:30
 Tom Valentine 22 Apr 2016
In reply to FreshSlate:

The point is that, even if you are filming perfectly innocently and legally the comings and goings of a primary school, you will possibly attract the attention of
A) the type of people who firebomb paediatricians' houses
B) the police, who might not consider filming other people's kiddies is an offence, but , as someone else has said, will stop you from filming on that particular section of the public highway and move you on, so as to avoid a possible breach of the peace.
My point is: in principle you can film anywhere on a public highway; in practice, you can't.
 FreshSlate 22 Apr 2016

> My point is: in principle you can film anywhere on a public highway; in practice, you can't.

You also can't film on foot in the central lane of a motorway. Quite impractical.

I done one now too, still not sure what the point is though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...