UKC

Mont Blanc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Strife 16 Apr 2016
I climbed it last year, and recently wrote up an account of the trip (written from memory so please forgive me for any inaccuracies). I'm also a complete amateur in the alpine environment so it's just my own personal perspective. However, hopefully it does offer some useful insight and may be of interest to people thinking about giving it a crack this summer: https://simoncclements.wordpress.com/2016/02/21/mont-blanc-expedition-augus...
jedicolin 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Strife:

A great read and excellent photos too!
 BobtheBagger 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Strife:

Great photos, thanks for sharing.
 jh.2545 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Strife: Nowthen Mate, came across your write up of your trip to Mont Blanc, sounds hoofing. Me and a mate are heading to Chamonix in June with the intention of getting Mont Blanc done.

Raymondo 22 Apr 2016
In reply to Strife:

A good read, I enjoyed reading this.
And good pictures, too.
 the abmmc 22 Apr 2016
In reply to Strife:

Great article Simon, and an absolute reminder of our two trips to try Mont Blanc. You appear to have made every mistake that we made the first time. The continentals must laugh their heads off at us Brits, trying to save money on hut fees and carrying so much stuff up. Acclimatisation is key, because no matter how fit you are, when your body is working on so much less oxygen it feels so very hard to keep moving uphill. I remember the joy of almost running downhill after the summit, and almost coming to a dead-stop with every little bit of uphill. We went down the grand mulets way and were trying to catch the last cable car down to Chamonix. When we heard the announcement that they were going to keep it running later because of the crowds and the good conditions we relaxed and slowed down a bit. The little rise up to the Plan d'Aiguille station almost killed us. My mate Karl, downed his 1664 in one go, and then seconds later, threw it all up again. Aah, the memories. Thanks for sharing this story with us. Really interesting to hear that ex-marines struggled with it too. It remains one of my greatest days and the feeling of achievement is life-long.
 Mal Grey 22 Apr 2016
In reply to Strife:

Yep, great article, entertainingly written! Whilst you might have lacked alpine experience, you were each clearly able to make sensible decisions when you needed to. The failed attempt may well have actually given you that acclimatisation that meant success in the end. Superb photos too.
 milus 23 Apr 2016
In reply to Strife:

Enjoyed your article. Brought back memories of my first trip to the alps in 1982. We wanted to climb Mont Blanc but not by one of the 'easy' routes. In our naivety we settled on the Brenva Spur on the Italian side and duly lugged tent and sleeping bags up onto the Geant glacier with the intention of carting it all with us and descending via the Gouter route. We made it as far as the Col de la Fourche on the frontier ridge before retreating to Cham with our tails between our legs! Like you I wasn't finished with the mountain, and while my mates drank beer in Chamonix, I made a solo ascent of the Gouter route from the Tete Rousse hut, arriving on the summit as the crowds from the Gouter hut left it, and having the summit to myself - a magical experience and one that cemented my bug for mountaineering. I went back 2 seasons later with a bit more experience and completed the Brenva Spur.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...