UKC

Can you use stevia instead of sugar if

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 16 Apr 2016
you're cooking?(As in baking a cake)
or does the stevia denature at a certain temperature?

I just don't want my daughter to complain at me if the cake is messed up by using Stevia.
OP veteye 16 Apr 2016
In reply to veteye:

Otherwise known as Truvia.
Anyway we have not chanced it, so the cake has sugar in it.
 LeeWood 16 Apr 2016
In reply to veteye:

Commercially I've never seen a product sweetened exclusively with stevia. Why would this be? I once used some dried leaf to sweeten tea and it was fine - so long as you get to appreciate its own flavour.
 RockAngel 16 Apr 2016
In reply to veteye:
I've used it and it works fine although I usually use about 3/4 sweetener, 1/4 sugar. It's so light (in weight) that it takes a lot to do a straight swap
 Wsdconst 17 Apr 2016
In reply to veteye:

I've got some truvia that I use in my tea/coffee, still trying to get used to it, and remember to only put a tiny amount in as it's really sweet. I suppose you'd have to do a test bake and see how it came out.
 yorkshireman 17 Apr 2016
In reply to LeeWood:

> Commercially I've never seen a product sweetened exclusively with stevia. Why would this be? I once used some dried leaf to sweeten tea and it was fine - so long as you get to appreciate its own flavour.

My wife is in the industry, buying a lot at source and selling to end users and says its because Stevia has a bitter aftertaste (and something to do with mouthfeel too) which has to be masked with bitter blockers.

The funny thing is, Stevia is marketed as a natural sweetener but if you've ever seen the extraction process (using industrial solvents) you would probably be willing to give Aspartame another go.

In reply to veteye:

> Otherwise known as Truvia.

That's just a brand name isn't it?
OP veteye 17 Apr 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:

Yes just a brand name.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...