UKC

Arran scrambling / low grade long route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duchessofmalfi 17 Apr 2016
I've got one day on Arran with some hill walking folk and wanted to do a long scramble / easy climb with them. Something like this:

Cioch na h-Oighe (Grade-1)
The Round Of Glen Sannox (Grade-2)
Prospero's Prelude (M)

Any suggestions?

I've got no chance of getting a guide book before I go and wondered if someone has a route description or topo diagram for these or similar that they could send me?

Ta!

Rob Parsons 17 Apr 2016
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

A'Chir Ridge might suit.
 Tom Valentine 17 Apr 2016

The Rosa Slabs are very amenable .
Problems are:
the belays are minimal:
it would give your folk a one dimensionsal idea of climbing. It's a bit like the bottom half of the Devils Slide or those slabs above the Navy Hut in Ogwen.
 fmck 17 Apr 2016

A,chir is probably the best ridge scramble in Scotland excluding Skye. It is more sustained scrambling and technical than Aonach eagach If you went for Cioch na h-oighe then use the bus service round to Sannox and include Stacach ridge to Goatfell (Highest peak) Scramble all the tors on route then drop back to Brodick.
Cir Mhor is an amazing peak and a pity to miss. If going via Prospero's Prelude adding Old East would continue the climbing at (M) to close to the summit. The footpaths in the Glens now are fantastic compared to the swamp it used to be. I ran through last month in trainers and did it with dry feet in March!

Walkhighlands site has details for hillwalking. Propero,s prelude is just follow easiest line pretty obvious as is Old east. Once on the terrace follow round west to reach the hillside near the summits of Rosa pinnacle(scramble up chimney) and main summit peak easy scramble.

A,chir South to North(Norm) is straightforward due to path stopping and starting at steps until the summit.

Guidebook : Going North from the summit the "Gap" is reached where the ridge levels out after a steep step, turned on the west flank. A few yards farther on descend the steep east wall on good holds into a easy but exposed , partly grassy rock trench slanting down out of site. this leads to a small col at the foot of the overhang thus turned. this descent is marked by a now very faint red arrow painted on the rocks(probably gone) The final section , going north from the col and keepjng to the crest is one of the best on the ridge.

The drop down the East side looks mental at first but is easy just very exposed. I have had a 7 year old down it in the past.

Thanks! - I need to get a map to make sense of it first!

Could you recommend a campsite good for the climbing / scrambling? and is it possible to mountain bike into these routes?
 fmck 18 Apr 2016

Glen Rosa is the only nearby campsite. This campsite is very poor and is just a standpipe, couple of basic toilets and sinks. No hot water and toilets usually occupied by sheep in winter months. Your better finding a good wild camp further up the glen. Sannox has nice camp spots and particularly as you first enter the glen from the road.
There are decent campsites round the Island but you would have to travel. Bunkhouse at Corrie.(corrie croft)
I do use a mountain bike on Arran as Glen Rosa is a good distance from the ferry and you can only go so far with the bus. I usually only bike up the glen to where it makes a right angle turn and leave it locked to the timber bridge. I guess you could go further if you wanted.
If the weather is good you could combine a traverse of the ridges with a high camp.
 d_b 18 Apr 2016

What fmck said. I would add that if you do take a car over then the site at Kildonan is very pleasant, but it's miles away from the hills.
 Pids 18 Apr 2016

As stated previously if you went for Cioch na h-oighe then use the bus service round to Sannox and include Stacach ridge to Goatfell (Highest peak) Scramble all the tors on route then drop back to Brodick.

Did that a couple of weeks ago, from the ferry bus to Sannox, up Cioch na h-oighe and then over the tops of North Goatfell and then Goatfell before descending to the brewery / wineport and then (after a suitable refreshment) the walk back along the Fishermans Way (aye right, coastal path) back to Brodick and ferry back - a great day out
In reply to Pids:

Thanks everyone - I'll have a map on Thursday and work it all out from there!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...