UKC

Disgusting scenes on 'The Fearless Chef' Channel 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sheelba 17 Apr 2016
And I not talking about the bulls penis.

They filmed a home-made zip wire being used in the cocoa fields of Bolivia. First the Bolivian peasant get on it using a botched kit and a load of blankets as a harness, telling the host that 5 people have died using it and clearly looking a bit scared, thankfully he gets across ok. Then it's the host turn, I think he's got incredible balls and am wondering how this got past the risk assessment until of course he produces a harness and zip wire kit and then precedes to find his ride across all very enjoyable. What kind of sick human being do you have to be to watch and even film someone else risking their life and potentially fall to their death, while you stand there like a lemon will all the kit that could have saved them and which undoubtedly they would use if they had the means to buy it?
 Dax H 17 Apr 2016
In reply to sheelba:

I have not seen the program but it sounds crap.
They should have shown how it is normally done without someone going on the line then provided the locals with decent equipment.
Gone for good 17 Apr 2016
In reply to sheelba:

What a wierd and slightly hysterical rant.
Well I take the opposite view. I sick of the sanitised crap on the telly and well done to the programme maker for showing the zip wire being used in its every day set up. The Bolivian chap who went down the wire didn't look scared but slightly bemused by all the attention he was attracting.
 aln 17 Apr 2016
In reply to sheelba:

procedes
 Dave the Rave 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

Weird. It's an I before e exception
In reply to aln:

Proceeds?
In reply to Dave the Rave:
Yes..expect after C. Although that doesn't work with weird which is a bit err weird!
Post edited at 21:54
 aln 17 Apr 2016

> Proceeds?

Depends who's paying for it.
Lusk 17 Apr 2016
In reply to aln:

Bolivian slave labour!
 deepsoup 17 Apr 2016

> Although that doesn't work with weird which is a bit err weird!

Yes, that rule doesn't apply to the weird, with their feisty foreign ways (or weighs).
It is insufficiently scientific.
In reply to aln:

> Depends who's paying for it.

Yes but no but yes but......

prəˈsiːd/

verb

begin a course of action.

"the consortium could proceed with the plan"

synonyms:begin, make a start, get going, move,set something in motion; More

move forward.

"from the High Street, proceed over Magdalen Bridge"

synonyms:go, make one's way, advance, move,move forward, move along,progress, carry on, press on, push on

"he turned off the road and proceeded down the long drive"

Hang on to your toupee...
 Babika 17 Apr 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Are the other 500 people who've looked at this thread as puzzled as I am?

In reply to Babika:

Something went over his head...
OP sheelba 18 Apr 2016

A very strange response. So you'd happily have watched if he'd fallen to his death? Fair enough if they asked him, 'do you want our safety equipment?' and he said 'no' otherwise getting someone, especially someone who clearly has little means, to risk their life unnecessarily just for good TV is heartless rather than sanitised. Imagine you were in that position using something you knew was unsafe but which you had to use to make your work profitable and rise above a subsistence living for your family. Then one day some rich guys come along with all the safety gear and watch you risk your life doing something that could easily be made safe for you, I seriously doubt you'd have the same opinion.

Having worked on various volunteer project across the world I have found that 'surprisingly' people don't want to live dangerous lives in poverty and 'shockingly' would rather live easier lives if they had the chance, even if gawping at them is an enjoyable past time for us in the west.

And yes it should be proceeds
Graeme G 18 Apr 2016
In reply to sheelba:

Have you complained to Channel 4?
Removed User 18 Apr 2016
In reply to sheelba:

Did you happen to watch any of the 'Human Planet' series (I think on BBC 4)? There was a sequence about someone collecting honey using a fairly rudimentary sling system for safety, while the film crew were all roped up, IRATA-style.
It rather looked like the honey man thought all that would have been too much faff...
 JoshOvki 18 Apr 2016
In reply to sheelba:

Well that is one hell of a jump! From bored of sanitised TV to happily watch someone falling to their death. Good effort.

How do you know that is how the guy felt? Or are you making it up? Could have though "What a load of faf them people are making of it! I am glad I don't have to go through all of that."

Seemed to be safe enough, I would be up for it. Perhaps being climbers we over complicate some stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...