UKC

Trying to work out what I did at Gimmer! (if anything)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RJP 17 Apr 2016

Good evening all,

I've just been to Gimmer Crag in Langdale and we intended to do Bracket and Slab multipitch. The thing is, we didn't have the greatest of guide books and we think we went quite a way bit off before eventually joining Gimmer Chimney just below the Chimney (not the reputed HVS left hand chimney further up again).

Using this as a reference http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Oo0SD5w1tZo/T61_pofbg7I/AAAAAAAABaI/r_EUgf18DK4/s... (which claims to be showing the Gimmer Chimney route), we went up just to the left of the start, just alongside the first two large slabs and traversed across the second large slab. From there we went up and then around to the right and used a standing belay. It was here that we realise we were probably off route by quite a bit! So following was a traverse to the right and slightly up to end up at the base of the chimney to finish off the last bit on Gimmer Chimney.

Does the first section we did form part of another route which isn't in many guide books these days? I have found one called remembrance which may be around this area (e.g. between Bracket and Slab and Gimmer Chimney) but can't find any photographs on the web. Can anyone help with ideas?

Thanks,
Post edited at 20:55
 petegunn 18 Apr 2016
In reply to RJP:
Sounds like you started up the variation start of Bracket and Slab/Remembrance. "A clean slab spilt by a prominent right to left crack"
 James_Kendal 18 Apr 2016
In reply to RJP:
Sounds like exactly the same thing I did on my first visit to Gimmer.

Sounds like you did the MVS variation "direct start" of Bracket and Slab, then got off that when you went right. It is the thin crack just left of the leftmost person in your photo. It is not the same thing as Bracket Direct HVS. The normal start of Bracket and Slab is quite a long way to the left and lower down the crag.

You've then probably done a mixture of bits of routes.

I always think Gimmer should have a route on here called Not Really Sure (S***).

I have since done the route without getting lost and it's a cracker, so if you go back do have another go!
Post edited at 15:20
 olddirtydoggy 18 Apr 2016
In reply to RJP:

Snap, it's a pretty tricky crag to navigate unless your second is an excellent spotter and can shout up good info.
In reply to RJP:

Your photo shows the Route for Gimmer Chimney exactly as i recall it from last summer
Blimey 19 Apr 2016
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

The route on your photo is Gimmer Chimney. Bracket and slab which has two possible starts is to your left. The thin crack splitting the wall just to the left of the person at the bottom of the picture is the alternative and slightly harder start the original start is just out of frame it goes up the rib to the left of the aforementioned crack.
Once on it the correct line is easy to spot but there is potential for much variation.
My favourite is to do the direct move off the bracket, well protected and a bit steep but a one move wonder.
well worth going back for.
In reply to RJP:

It sounds to me like you did the first pitch of Remembrance.

There's a good photo topo in the latest FRCC Langdale guide (which sounds like it might be a good investment!) http://www.needlesports.com/2635/products/langdale.aspx which is one of the double pages I scanned when I put it on line. Not the best scan in the world but you probably make out enough detail.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...