UKC

Easy walks in the Ecrins?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Graeme G 18 Apr 2016

Family holiday in the Ecrins this summer - near Alpe D'Huez. Hoping to plan a few, short (1/2 day max) walks with the kids.

Checked out a few guides but they seem to be mostly much bigger itineraries. Any help anyone? I've looked at a few online sites, also wondering is the Cicerone guide worth getting??
Post edited at 20:52
 Doug 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

I've walked a fair bit in the Ecrins and often with my partner who can't walk for more than a few hours at a time, but never from Alpe D'Huez. I rarely use guide books and usually just plan something using the 1:25 000 IGN map although occasionally I've picked up pamphlets, etc from the local tourist information office.
Graeme G 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Doug:

Thanks. I was hoping there would be guidebooks available locally but didn't want to depend on it. I'd hate to get there, fnd no guidebooks/pamphlets and regret not having planned something. Was hoping to get to La Grave but as the tunnel is closed it doesn't look likely.
 Doug 19 Apr 2016

There was a post recently by someone saying that the tunnel (or an alternative) was open but that as the route is fairly narrow /difficult, the route is still signposted as closed. Think it was in one of the ski related threads.
 Mike-W-99 19 Apr 2016

We went a few years ago. Mostly climbed but walked a few days too.
Lac de l'Eychauda was a nice walk and looked popular with families.
 Doug 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

unless there's a second lake of the same name that's a long way from Alps d'Huez and means crossing the Col du Lautaret (which may be shut)
Graeme G 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Doug:

Thanks. I'll def check that out. We have a hire car so can easily travel.
Graeme G 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Looks nice. Possibly wrong side of the the 'tunnel' which google maps still thinks is closed.
 Doug 19 Apr 2016

If you do go to the Lac de l'Eychauda, think about making a loop rather than coming back down by the same route by crossing the col a little to its north ( Col des Grangettes) & then following a path eastwards to join the GR54 which you can follow over the Col de L'Eychauda to your starting point at Chambran (fairly obvious on the 1:25 000 map)
 Mike-W-99 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Doug:
Correct, just read ecrins. Big area!
 Stairclimber 19 Apr 2016

I don't think you will have too much of a problem getting to La Grave or on to cross the Col du Lautaret as people are using the temporary road to bypass the tunnel problem at the moment. Lac d Eychauda is miles away and there are much better family walks around Pont d Alpe with the added almost guaranteed sighting of bouquetins (ibex ) up close. This is a justifiably extremely popular area 5 mins driving after the col, if you want to see the area. Kids will also love the (expensive? ) trip up onto the glacier at La Grave. Please make the effort to explore the area that is suffering badly from the tunnel closure. The road signs put people off deliberately, but tourism is so dependent on tourists!
Graeme G 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Stairclimber:

Thanks. That's really helpful info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...