UKC

RIP Victoria Wood

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A talented lady. I liked her songs and dinner ladies.

youtube.com/watch?v=ThtTrfF0QVk&
Post edited at 15:37
 Mike Lates 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Hannah S:

Nooo! Superb talent. Look forward to seeing screen swamped with stuff
 toad 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Hannah S:

I choose to spend the rest of the day singing "Anne wid-e combe! Anne Wid-e-combe" in her memory

youtube.com/watch?v=PhfbYtbpNxY&
In reply to Hannah S:

> A talented lady. I liked her songs and dinner ladies.

Yes a real talent and a real shame. RIP Victoria.
 Andy Say 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Hannah S:

One of the few occasions when I saw the news and went, 'Oh noooooh', aloud. I struggle to mourn many of the 'great and the good' but she was just sublime. A brilliant observational writer.
 Andy Hardy 20 Apr 2016
In reply to toad:

My fave youtube.com/watch?v=AkfuE3Rt8IE&

Proper crap news on a lovely day
 Hat Dude 20 Apr 2016
In reply to toad:

> I choose to spend the rest of the day singing "Anne wid-e combe! Anne Wid-e-combe" in her memory

I shall go home and beat Mrs Dude on the bottom with a Woman's Weekly in her memory

In reply to Hannah S:

Horrid news. Amazing how, these poorly celebs seem so good at keeping their illnesses quiet. Same with Bowie, I did not see it coming.

Wasn't she married to the great suprendo?

Carless 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Hannah S:

Ah bollocks - that's not good news
In reply to Hannah S:

Not someone who's work I connected with, though in truth I probably wasn't target market anyway. But with all the recent deaths, there's a definite changing of the guard, fin de siècle* feel about things this year.

T.
* yes I know that strictly speaking, etc. Nevertheless...
 DerwentDiluted 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Hannah S:

Feels like a proper kick in the teeth. I have a wonderful image of Linda Smith and Victoria Wood getting together upstairs and really scripting perfection.
RIP
 Ridge 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Hannah S:

That is a real shame. A lovely and talented person.
 Trangia 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Hannah S:

Very sad.What a dreadful year it's turning out to be for so many talented people to be leaving us.....
 Timmd 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Hannah S:

I didn't always connect with her work but could always see she was talented , and she seemed genuine and kind too, on Desert Island Discs she came across as lovely. 62 is too young.
 felt 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Sad news.

In a few years there will be a section called "today's celebrity deaths" in every news outlet, which will be very different from the current obit pages in the quality press with all their rear-admirals, civil servants and boffins.

As an aside, it's good the Like/Dislike thing is auto-off on all RIP threads. Makes one recall how it used to be site-wide.
 Rob Exile Ward 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Not trying to be controversial, I am simply amazed that anyone *didn't* connect with her - but there you go. She always made me laugh.

I had tears of laughter driving home this evening listening to 'Let's do it'... And Dinner Ladies was such an affectionate and acute reflection of real people.

In reply to Hannah S:

Good work to the mods for apparently (I hope its not a glitch) removing the like/dislike buttons for this thread.
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Just a case of individual tastes, I think. I wouldn't deny her talent but whatever it was that reduced other people to tears just didn't connect with me; my loss, I'm sure.

There are other things about which people have said to me 'Oh, you'll love this!' and when I've watched I've been left both disinterested and unamused, plus slightly perplexed at how people who know me could have thought that I'd like it. It happened a lot with things that were on BBC 1; didn't like the Vicar of Dibley or Only Fools and Horses, thought Miranda was unfunny, unwatchable tosh, plus a lot of others. Different strokes and all that.

But for all that what she did didn't connect with me, there's one less talented person in the world, gone when she could have given much more to others; and that's a great shame.

T.
 Yanis Nayu 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Hannah S:

Real shame. Great talent and she seemed like a good person. Her Barry and Freda song is right up there with four candles for me.
 BusyLizzie 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

> I shall go home and beat Mrs Dude on the bottom with a Woman's Weekly in her memory

YES I remember that song!! She was so funny!!
 Big Ger 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Hannah S:

RIP Ms Woods, thanks for the laughs.
 graeme jackson 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Hannah S:

R.I.P. Victoria. I'm surprised no mention has been given on the media of the superlative Pat and Margaret, easily her best work.
 Tom Last 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> didn't like [...] Only Fools and Horses

Oh man, I'll pray for you brother

RIP Victoria Wood, she was great.

Hat Dude 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Hannah S:

One thing that struck me on seeing clips of her work last night, was how generous she was as a writer; her co-actors weren't just there to feed her the good lines.
 The New NickB 21 Apr 2016
Miranda is unfunny, unwatchable tosh. I have always liked Victoria Wood.

She lived over the road from my cousin in Silverdale for many years and the couple of times I briefly met her, she was more than lovely.
Post edited at 09:29
Graeme G 21 Apr 2016

I'm not sure it's your loss. Like you I'm saddened by her death but no more than anyone else's.

She wasn't funny in my book, neither was Miranda or Vicar of Dibley. Modern reincarnations of the type of crap 'middle class' comedy we had to suffer in the 70's. Terry and June!

Give the woman her dues though. She went on stage, stuck her neck out and made people laugh. For that anyone has to be admired.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...