UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: The New Arc'teryx Acrux AR GTX Alpine Boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 21 Apr 2016
Arc'teryx Acrux AR GTX Alpine Boot, 3 kb

ARC'TERYX, the technical leader in outdoor performance apparel and equipment, is proud to introduce its latest innovation in mountain footwear - the Acrux AR GTX Alpine Boot - one of the lightest, most durable, weatherproof alpine boots on the market.

Read more
 Lil_Pete 21 Apr 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

That seems damn cheap by Arc'teryx standards. Looks like a posher Batura 2.0 with removable inner for similar price. Very nice.
 Lil_Pete 21 Apr 2016

Put my G2 SMs to shame really! Wonder how warm they are in comparison.
 Alex Riley 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Lil_Pete:
If someone wants to buy me a pair to "test"I'd be happy to oblige
Post edited at 16:34
 HeMa 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Lil_Pete:

G2 will be warmer, so no worries there.
 climber34neil 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Lil_Pete:

I thought they look like a pair of wellies
 Damo 22 Apr 2016
In reply to climber34neil:

>... like a pair of wellies

I fondled a pair in a shop in Colorado last month. They are very nice, but yes, very rubbery.

First reviews indicated they're a bit sweaty, not surprisingly.
 damowilk 22 Apr 2016
In reply to Damo:

So maybe not the holy grail of the light weight double boot?
I'm hoping that Scarpa bring out a challenger to this boot and the G2, maybe a Rebel double boot.
 Damo 23 Apr 2016
In reply to damowilk:
Well, as above, they're not going to be as warm as G2SMs. Though I looked at them too and not sure just how they compare with Spantiks and fit into the lineup.

I think the Arc boots might be good though for things like Peru or some lower Himalayan things, where single boots are just not warm enough up high, moving slow, early starts etc, as well as Alpine winters and Scotland where their relatively low bulk keeps them as rivals for more technical single boots.

I did find the zippers on the Arc boots *very* stiff to pull up and would worry about ripping them off in the field.
Post edited at 00:49
 damowilk 23 Apr 2016
In reply to Damo:

I'm looking for the perfect NZ multi day trip boot: doesn't have to be any warmer than the Phantom Guide, light, technical, not too clumpy, and a removable inner to dry out.
My Phantom Guide is great, except trying to dry it out in anything other that warm hut environs.
I've never felt the need yet to use my Spantiks here, though would consider them if I did something bigger in Winter. Just looking for the missing link between these 2.
 HeMa 23 Apr 2016
In reply to damowilk:

> I'm looking for the perfect NZ multi day trip boot: doesn't have to be any warmer than the Phantom Guide, light, technical, not too clumpy, and a removable inner to dry out.

I think the 'Ryx one is just that.

That said, GM is only slightly bigger (as is the Mammut Nordwand 2.1), so they would still be possibilities. I guess it boils down to the fit...

Oh, I wish 'Ryx would have placed dynafiddle inserts on them boots...
 TobyA 23 Apr 2016

Kev Avery has been using a pair all winter while doing his guide course so for people interested keeping an eye on https://climbinggearreviewsuk.wordpress.com/ would be worthwhile. On warmth, the inners look very similar to the inner of the hiking boot version http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7890 and I can tell you they are very warm, so much so that I've found it is a real problem with the hiking boots. The inner boot has all this 3D spacer material, which is very clever, but I've found extremely insulating. This doesn't help your athlete's foot on sunny spring hike with the hiking boots, but I imagine could be really quite an advantage in the mountain version.
 Damo 23 Apr 2016
In reply to damowilk:

> I'm looking for the perfect NZ multi day trip boot:

If they fit you then they'll probably be good for that and the rubberiness might keep them a bit dryer.

> I've never felt the need yet to use my Spantiks here, though would consider them if I did something bigger in Winter.

I attempted Mt Tasman in a cold mid-July ten years ago and wore Nuptses. They were not overkill and had the benefit of fitting into my Silvretta bindings. I think these Arcs would be fine for NZ winter though.
 damowilk 23 Apr 2016
In reply to HeMa:

That's the issue living in NZ, getting somewhere to try all these new boots on!
Interesting comment about inserts: maybe given that Arc'teryx has also made some new touring boots, they'll hybridise something to make a walkable ski touring boot, or a skiable alpine boot!
 HeMa 24 Apr 2016
In reply to damowilk:

> Interesting comment about inserts: maybe given that Arc'teryx has also made some new touring boots, they'll hybridise something to make a walkable ski touring boot, or a skiable alpine boot!

Walkable skiboots already exist, and even the 'Ryx one is not too bad.

Scarpa used to make the Phantom 6000 with inserts, but stopped.

Sure, skiing in a proper climbing boot would not be nice. But at least in the alps, and Scandinavia you end up moving on relatively moderate terrain in deep snow. That's where skinning up would make a lot sense, and given the gently angle even skiing down on non-optimal boots shouldn't be a problem...

Climber Phil 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Lil_Pete: similar to the Baturas/guides for warmth Pete

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...