UKC

Recommend a DSLR camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Owen Meany 21 Apr 2016
Just thought I'd join the "Recommend a..." bandwagon!

I'm thinking of getting a DSLR camera, mainly for landscape/wildlife shots, but haven't used a "proper" camera in years and am completely bewildered by the choice of models available.

I currently use a Canon Powershot SX280 and have had a variety of Canon Ixus models over the years, so initially thought it might be easiest to get a Canon DSLR as the controls might be at least slightly familiar. However, I love the GPS tagging on my point and click and it seems this is something that isn't often available on DSLRs.

I'm quite attracted by the Nikon D5300 (which gets very good reviews and has GPS tagging) but would welcome any thoughts on other possible options to look at.

OM
KevinD 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Owen Meany:

You can get a plug in module for canons for gps. No idea how effective it is or anything beyond that. Think it is expensive as well.
Most important thing though is to get out and handle a few cameras. Chances are you will find one make works far better for you than the others.
Ysgo 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Owen Meany:

I've got a D5300 and love it, but there are some things I wish I'd known before I bought it.

Firstly the lens compatibility
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d5300/compatibility02.htm

Basically it will only autofocus on the newer lenses. I'm currently looking at getting a few primes (35mm, 50mm, maybe a 90mm), and looking at second hand lenses I know that AF-D lenses won't autofocus so have to decide whether it's worth it or not.

Also if you put the camera into self-timer mode (night-time star trails etc) it will switch back to normal mode as soon as you take that photo. There seems to be no way to "lock" it in self-timer mode. It's only 5 seconds to put it back on, but I often forget to.

As for the GPS... never used it. You might, but I haven't. Ever.

I do love the camera. I love the photos it takes, and how it handles etc, but these are my gripes with it.
OP Owen Meany 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Ysgo:

Thanks - I don't have any existing lenses, so compatibility isn't much of an issue for me as I'd need to buy from scratch anyway.

I'd be interested to know what sort of lens you use most (and for what purpose). I'm looking at buying a kit with an 18-55mm lens and then maybe getting a longer zoom lens, but have also spotted an 18-250mm single lens and wondered whether that might be a better option than having two separate lenses.

Also, how easy would it be for a relative beginner to get the hang of? (I had a film SLR years ago, but have probably forgotten almost everything I used to know about how to use it!)

OM
OP Owen Meany 21 Apr 2016
In reply to KevinD:

Yes - I did spot that, but it seems to be about £200! That adds quite a lot to the cost of the camera...
 MikeTS 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Owen Meany:

Have 5300 and it is good. GPS works fine, but google the advice on how to use it effectively. With Lightroom the location data is great, I love coming back from a day out and seeing exactly where I was. I also used it to report dumping in the countryside: photos and a map
Ysgo 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Owen Meany:

Currently I am just using the 18-55mm kit lens in order to learn the ropes (I'm a total newbie). As a camera it's easy enough to use the aperture, shutter speed and ISO functions.

For me the compatibility issue is more about being able to buy vintage glass. For example I'm looking at getting a 35mm and a 50mm prime and some of the best reviews I've read are for the 50mm AF-D which won't autofocus. In fact there are a few AF-D lenses which I'm interested in as they are crystal clear and fantastic value.

Personally I wish I'd realised this issue before buying. I would've had a closer look at the 7000 series.

I still love it. I might just have to learn manual focusing.
 Fraser 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Ysgo:
You should be able to get used versions of the newer models of those lenses which will AF on your body for about £100.

Edit: eg: http://ffordes.com/product/16040112321081
Post edited at 12:17
 john1963 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Fraser:

You could buy the 5300 with the more expensive 18-140 kit lens.
A better lens in quality by far and a very versatile zoom range.
I use it on my 7100 and find it excellent.
Ysgo 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Yeah but there's something about the heritage glass which makes me want some. It just looks nicer.
 obi-wan nick b 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Owen Meany:

Have a look at this article - are you going for a FX or DX DSLR and if DX then you may like to consider APS-C mirrorless and/or micro 4/3rds. - have a look at this is explains some of it...

https://photographylife.com/sensor-crop-factors-and-equivalence

As for an 18-250 zoom personally I wouldn't as [in general] the bigger the zoom the lower the quality 18-55 is a 3 x zoom whereas 18-250 is 13 x and while you don't have to carry and change lenses in the field the quality - sharpness, chromatic aberration, lens speed etc etc would be factors that are likely to be compromised with a big zoom. Have a look at Dpreview for lens tests that explain all this.

In reply to Ysgo:
If using older lenses these are likely to be from 35mm film cameras - see the article above also as though they might be fitted to DX cameras they would work better with FX for field of view / sensor crop reasons
 The Lemming 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Ysgo:

>
> Also if you put the camera into self-timer mode (night-time star trails etc) it will switch back to normal mode as soon as you take that photo. There seems to be no way to "lock" it in self-timer mode. It's only 5 seconds to put it back on, but I often forget to.

Have you considered Triggertrap for time lapse and night shots?

http://www.triggertrap.com
Ysgo 26 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
I just use the Nikon App for remote shuttering as it does it via Wifi
Post edited at 10:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...