UKC

Europe recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kahti 22 Apr 2016
Hi all,
I'm planning on heading off to Europe in the Autumn in my van, with no set return date. However I'm struggling to decide where to begin!

I guess I'm searching for somewhere that is van dweller friendly and offers a good mix of ski mountaineering (main priority) and winter climbing in the cold months, and good bouldering and rock (not really too fussed whether Trad or Sport, I enjoy the feeling of climbing more than the head game) once the snow has gone.
I'd like somewhere with enough of a scene to meet other like minded people, but also quiet enough to be out in the mountains alone, not racing for first lines and constantly bumping into other groups (shying away from somewhere like Cham for this reason, maybe incorrectly?). Not interested in city life or endless parties.
Somewhere with an indoor wall for rainy days would be awesome too.

I won't need to work too much, as I have some savings and van life is cheap, but would like to pick up some part time just to get to know local people and keep the funds going, so somewhere where work is relatively easy to come by would be good (would do anything, have lots of experience both front and back of house in restaurants but prefer working outside/building).

Places that I've been recommended so far are the Pyrenees, the Dolomites and Norway. Pyrenees are appealing the most right now as I speak Spanish, the snow looks good, quieter and less explored than the Alps, and I would have Catalonian rock next door. Unsure where exactly to go though. Have heard good stuff about the Val d'Aran?

Anyway would welcome any suggestions and any tips regarding van living and finding work and climbing partners.

Cheers,
Kahti
 tjekel 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Kahti:

anywhere at the southern edge of the alps might be considered good - snow and dry climbing some 20 - 30 km from each other, lonelyness in the mountains during the week, climbers availlable at the weekend to team up.

a very short list - Lecco & surroundings, Arco; Aosta Valley (italy), Soca valley (slovenia).
 Xharlie 26 Apr 2016
In reply to tjekel:

+1 for Arco. My wife cannot stop raving it and the climbing nearby. (I missed that trip because I was winding up the last few months of the London chapter of my life.)
Akor77 30 Apr 2016
In reply to Kahti:

Looking For Climbing Partner for the Months of July and August and am keen to get as much climbing in as possible. Any information would be greatly Appreciated.

Cheers,

ArLan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...