UKC

Advice for Lord Kelvin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Donald82 22 Apr 2016
My mate and flat mate, Kelvin, is planning to walk/run Hadrian's Wall in two days. Roughly 50 miles day 1, and 30 miles day 2.

He's going a month or so from now, and isn't planning to do much training. 25 miles flat a couple of weekends ago (and definitely couldn't have done another 25 after), and he's got one hill day of less than 15 miles planned (loop of cobbler and ben narnain ridges) before the trip. Nothing else apart from the gym and the odd short evening jog.

This seems foolhardy to me, but I've never done anything close to that. Any advice for me to pass on?

(He did the three peaks last year and found it pretty tough going - got round in 24 hours though)
 The New NickB 22 Apr 2016
In reply to Donald82:

I don't think the route is 80 miles, the Rat Race Wall Ultra is 69 miles.

A friend of mine, a 45 year old mid pack fell running lady ran it in under 13 hours a couple of years ago. Easy terrain and not all that hilly. By comparison, she took 19 hours on the similar distance UT 110 in the Lakes, which had 14,000' of ascent.
 Greasy Prusiks 22 Apr 2016
In reply to Donald82:

My advice is prepare for some pretty serious pain!

It sounds like he's a bit out of his depth but has left it a bit late for any real training. Wish him the best of luck though.
Donald82 23 Apr 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

I think his routes longer than the race.
 Simon Caldwell 25 Apr 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Race the Wall is about 15 miles shorter than the full Hadrian's Wall route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...