UKC

Glencoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Michael MacArthur 22 Apr 2016
Hi there. Am planning on going climbing up Scotland. Probably glencoe. Can anyone recommend me a good guide book and some good places to climb some multi pitch trad routes. Looking for grades around vs
 funkyvin1 22 Apr 2016
In reply to Michael MacArthur:

Scottish Rock volume 1 south is a good selective guide for the area.

Not sure about classic VS's, bit hard for me, but def enough to choose from in the book.
 Webster 23 Apr 2016

when are you planning on coming? many of the mountain crags will be pretty wintery for the coming week or more and you will definitely still need axe and crampons to get off or even access some routes
Michael MacArthur 23 Apr 2016
In reply to Webster:

Am planning on going around mid July so should be in condition to rock climb
 AlH 23 Apr 2016
Ooooh! Satan's Slit, Red Slab, Hangman's Crack or Raven's Edge on the Buachaille, Spartan Slab at Etive Slabs, any VS on Styx Buttress at Polldubh, any VS on South Wall of Garbh Bheinn. Damp in Glencoe? Check forecast for Kilchoan and go west to Ardnamurchan- many a good VS. Worth the hop north to Binnein Shuas for Blaeberry Grooves and uber classic Ardverikie Wall (even if its only HS). In July take a midge net and a bottle of Smidge potentially for any of these but especially Polldubh and Etive Slabs if there is no wind (and afternoons on Etive Slabs after sun has passed). Wild card recommendation- check out the gneiss on Indian Slabs.
Post edited at 12:14
In reply to AlH:

Thanks. Are the midges that bad?
 AlH 23 Apr 2016

Honestly? If you get a still warm grey day they are pretty grim. But then the higher you go the better they get, or go towards the sea (never seem anything like as bad at Ardnamurchan|). I'm a local and find Smidge very effective (they land but don't bite, 2 applications will protect me even on a sweaty day) but still take a net in high summer.
In reply to AlH:

Actually putting me off a bit lol. Are the midges bad around the cirangorms bad
Graeme G 23 Apr 2016

It's Scotland. It's July. The midges are bad.

Jeesus!! Whatever happened to reading books to finding out information???? I must be getting old......
 Mike-W-99 23 Apr 2016

I've been badly midged just below the summit of Cairngorm on the slabs at stac an fharaidh.
 Gael Force 23 Apr 2016

July and August are probably best avoided in Scotland due to the midges, they can be absolutely horrendous in those months, particularly if camping.
Jim C 23 Apr 2016

It was looking great today as I passed Michael.

Joak 23 Apr 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Calm yer jets Faither. The midge is a natural deterrent. The Heilans athoot them wid be unbearable, if ye get ma drift

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...