UKC

garlic in a greenhouse?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Is this possible? Ive a decent sized greenhouse with a section of earth inside for growing of abot 4' square. I fancy growing garlic. Is this possible or will it get too warm? It is a sun trap and can get very cosy.

Can i use supermarket grown cloves or should i get some seed bulbs from a garden centre?

Ta

Rich
Post edited at 12:49
 marsbar 24 Apr 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I think most supermarket garlic isn't UK grown so normally wouldn't cope with the U.K. Weather but if you want to grow it in the greenhouse that might be better anyway.

Leave the bulbs on a sunny windowsill so they sprout and then plant only the big cloves.

I need to plant mine outside now. They are in pots at the moment.
 cander 24 Apr 2016

We plant ours outside in a sunny place with no problems - north Cumbria here so sunny is relative!
 marsbar 24 Apr 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Planted into massive pots. Might be another option, then you can use the greenhouse space for something that needs it.
In reply to marsbar:

I know what you mean. I just can't think of something else to put in the greenhouse this year. Ive done peppers which failed and too many tomatoes. I need some inspiration
 marsbar 24 Apr 2016

Cucumbers? Courgettes?
In reply to marsbar:

Done them too.
ceri 24 Apr 2016

A few years ago I planted supermarket garlic in my garden. It doesn't grow big bulbs but it does grow prolifically (better for a garlic press than making nice big cloves) If you want a hundred or so plants you're welcome to them (DE55). They're like potatoes, you miss digging up one and it grows back as 30 plants next year, and I feel bad digging them up for the compost.
I also (about 3 years ago) bought 2 bulbs of "UK suitable" garlic. These grow into pretty big bulbs and each year I save one bulb to replant for next year.
There will be no vampires in this neck of the woods...
 kathrync 24 Apr 2016

Garlic is actually quite hardy, so I would recommend growing outside and putting something else in the greenhouse. Also, it ideally needs to be planted in winter. From the RHS website: "Garlic is best planted in late autumn or early winter; the general rule of thumb is to plant cloves before Christmas". Mine was planted outside in Glasgow in Feb and is about a foot high now.

I would generally recommend buying garlic specifically for planting - as someone else said, supermarket varieties are often grown in warmer countries and may not grow well in the UK. Having said that, that may well be perfect if you are dead set on putting it in the greenhouse.
 kathrync 24 Apr 2016

For suggestions of other things to try in the greenhouse:

Aubergine
Squash
Grapes
Citrus fruit
Melon (Dad tried this - the fruit were the size of golf balls, but REALLY tasty)
Raspberries
Herbs (basil and coriander work well in a greenhouse)
Salad leaves

Some of these, like raspberries and salad leaves will grow ok outside too, but you will get better crops in a greenhouse.
In reply to kathrync:

I may make a couple of raised beds for garlic next year by the sounds of it. Do they make nice flowers like my triffid chive clumps?

I hadnt thought of raspeberries for the greenhouse. The spot i have would be perfect, i think. I have benches for herbs which i can use.

That said, i like herbs in the house.
 marsbar 24 Apr 2016
In reply to kathrync:

I planted mine inside a few weeks ago and they seem OK.
 kathrync 24 Apr 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Yeah, they will grow ok, but they really need to be chilled for a period for the bulbs to develop well. You will get a better yield and bigger bulbs if you plant earlier. If you really don't want to plant them early, you can put the bulbs you are going to plant in the fridge for a couple of weeks before you plant them for the same effect - but personally I find it easier just to stick them in the ground and forget about them, and then marvel when they start sprouting in the spring
 kathrync 24 Apr 2016

> I may make a couple of raised beds for garlic next year by the sounds of it. Do they make nice flowers like my triffid chive clumps?

Hardneck varieties will produce flower stems readily, but you are supposed to trim them off to promote bulb development (they taste good in stir fries!). Softneck varieties only produce flower stems when the plants are stressed. So the short answer is no.
 marsbar 24 Apr 2016
In reply to kathrync:

I just only started growing stuff and I'm too impatient to wait until next winter! We are due frosts this week so hopefully that will help. Next time I will plant them in the winter.
 Ann S 25 Apr 2016

I recommend buying from these people -the Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight and they will advise which varieties are best for your part of UK.
 Jamie Wakeham 25 Apr 2016

> I may make a couple of raised beds for garlic next year

Don't go over the top, space-wise: about one square metre of my allotment keeps the two of us in garlic year-round! You are probably a little late for planting this year, although quite often when I've planeted things later than I was supposed to, they've come good in the end, so it could still be worth a shot.

Do buy a known and recommended variety from a garden centre - though you'll only ever have to buy once, as you can save the best cloves for replanting next year.

But, much better than garlic - do the same with shallots! They're incredibly easy to grow, can be saved and replanted, and unlike garlic cost a bloody fortune in the shops. They're just as hardy as garlic in our climate. Again, you might be a little late for this year, but you might as well give it a go.

In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Ah shallots, hadnt thought of that. Do they 'bud' in the same way as garlic so no different to grow and harvest?

Yep - plant a single shallot, and it divides so you get a whole bunch out, and you then re-plant the best ones for the following year. We've not bought garlic or shallots for years and years now.

The long thin French shallots (I grow Eschalotte) are best for taste, I reckon, and also for ease of peeling and chopping - but they seem to go a little stale after four or five months hanging. The round ones (try Red Sun or Golden Globe - there's also a popular variety called Piquant, but I find it's a little too strongly flavoured) last much better. They all replant and regrow perfectly well, though.

It's a very melancholic early autumn job, spending an evening stringing up the coming year's garlic and shallots - one of those signals that the summer's over.

> Yep - plant a single shallot, and it divides so you get a whole bunch out, and you then re-plant the best ones for the following year. We've not bought garlic or shallots for years and years now.

My kind of thinking.

> The long thin French shallots (I grow Eschalotte) are best for taste, I reckon, and also for ease of peeling and chopping - but they seem to go a little stale after four or five months hanging. The round ones (try Red Sun or Golden Globe - there's also a popular variety called Piquant, but I find it's a little too strongly flavoured) last much better. They all replant and regrow perfectly well, though.

Did you get one from the supermarket or a UK friendly variety from the garden centre?

> It's a very melancholic early autumn job, spending an evening stringing up the coming year's garlic and shallots - one of those signals that the summer's over.

Sounds like a lovely job to me. I like the change in seasons.

Daft question alert. Is hanging necessary or is this merely to preserve the surplus?

> Did you get one from the supermarket or a UK friendly variety from the garden centre?

Garden centre - I wanted to start off knowing exactly what I was growing. Also, I've heard it said that sometimes the ones in the supermarket are treated to prevent them sprouting, so it seemed sensible to eliminate every possible source of failure! God knows there are enough as it is...

> Daft question alert. Is hanging necessary or is this merely to preserve the surplus?

Well, if you're planning to go completely self-sufficient, then they'll need to keep for the best part of a year, and they will rot if they get damp, so keeping them in a container isn't the best way. Hanging them in a cool dark place (an unheated garage is perfect) so they have plenty of airflow around them is the way forward. And a nicely put together string of shallots or garlic does look really impressive.
 marsbar 25 Apr 2016

You can hang them up in old tights if you prefer. Do not use you wife's best Aristoc for this.

> Garden centre - I wanted to start off knowing exactly what I was growing. Also, I've heard it said that sometimes the ones in the supermarket are treated to prevent them sprouting, so it seemed sensible to eliminate every possible source of failure! God knows there are enough as it is...

Makes sense

> Well, if you're planning to go completely self-sufficient, then they'll need to keep for the best part of a year, and they will rot if they get damp, so keeping them in a container isn't the best way. Hanging them in a cool dark place (an unheated garage is perfect) so they have plenty of airflow around them is the way forward. And a nicely put together string of shallots or garlic does look really impressive.

Sorry my question was probably a bit vague. Self sufficiency sounds good so I was curious as to whether the hanging was to keep them fresh to eat or for seed stock the following year. I have a cold garage which could be used for this. What is the growing season?

> Self sufficiency sounds good so I was curious as to whether the hanging was to keep them fresh to eat or for seed stock the following year. I have a cold garage which could be used for this.

Both, I think; I don't distinguish between the ones I'm going to eat and the ones I'm going to replant, but just pick the best-looking when it comes to planting time! Hanging seems to be the best treatment for both purposes. I've not been at all scientific about this, though - I've just found a system that works and stuck to it.

> What is the growing season?

I plant my garlic and shallots at the same time, quite late - end Feb, or early March - as I have heavy clay soil it takes forever to warm up, and if I plant too early they sometimes rot in the ground before they take root. I have never ever been organised enough to get them in before Christmas! And anyway, alliums follow root veg in my rotation scheme, so the bed they're going in is usually still full of parsnips at that time of year.

They're both done at about the same time, too, usually late August or early September. They tell you when they're ready; the leaves go yellow and droop. Then they need a week or two to dry off in a greenhouse or coldframe.

Owen W-G 25 Apr 2016

Garlic won't benefit from a greenhouse. Heat not required and it might be too humid.

If you plant it out now, it probably won't be ready to harvest for 12months! Garlic over-winters v well.

Supermarket garlic might not product the best crop. Lots of it is grown in a med climate. Garden centre bulbs - Isle of Wight varieties in particular - are well suited to UK climate.
 aln 25 Apr 2016

You could try a grape vine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...