UKC

Solar power

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Big Mountain Man 24 Apr 2016
I'm sure his has been discussed before but can't find anything up to date.

I'm going away for 70 days and will be off grid for about 60 of those. I am looking for the best solar charger, which is lightweight and consistent and works happily at altitude

I've had poor experiences with both Power Monkey, Power Traveler and Goal Zero

Any one used - Freeloader 5w?

Cheers

london_huddy 24 Apr 2016
In reply to Big Mountain Man:

I've had great results with the goal zero nomad 7 panel and sherpa 50 battery pack in Greenland. Agree about power monkey not being much good though.

tjin 24 Apr 2016

> I've had poor experiences with both Power Monkey, Power Traveler and Goal Zero

> Any one used - Freeloader 5w?

I think the problem is that your looking at the wrong size panel. The reported panel output, is under a test situation. Your actual output is determined by changing sun angles, clouds, ineffeciency in cables and powerbanks in between.

The only way to get consistant good results is just to go big or go home. Look at the 25w+ panels.
 cmr132 25 Apr 2016

Have a look a mobilesolarchargers.co.uk been really impressed with them.
 RR 27 Apr 2016
In reply to cmr132: and tjin
mobilesolarchargers.co.uk panel and batteries (power banks) specs look great and plus 25 w.
My experience is on expeditions/outings that the sun is seldom (never) shining. And if it there is sun you don't need power. When there is no sun then you need most of power for your satellite phone (mind the plug) which is a drain. So go big and turn it of power consumption is enorm.

But first of all: make less or no calls. (Others will do though for you! We split the costs.)

Goal zero 17 w is good with power bank. I used before Burton flexible panel also 17W? no power bank, and had weak connector points, but light weight. Would go now for bigger. mobilesolarchargers.co.uk stuff looks quite sturdy? on the picture.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...