UKC

Barmouth Slabs Topo for upper tier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oujmik 24 Apr 2016
Barmouth Slabs

Was here today and planning to return later in the week for some more. I like the look of some routes on the upper tier but the UKC entries seem to be the only record of them and are not exactly verbose. I think I've figured out the general area of each route but was wondering if any local clubs had made a Topo to give some idea of the UK intended line of each route (and so I can check I'm not miles out). I'm sure I can just make it up but I like the idea of climbing the 'official' routes as far as they exist.
 Dave Williams 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

The lines on the upper slab are all quite strong so it shouldn't be a big problem to work out what's what from the info on the crag page. Climbs are listed L to R. Greg's Kettle is on the very left of the clean section. Overlap slab climbs up to and over the overlap to the right using the obvious weakness. Twin Cracks has the 2 massive bolts at the bottom, beyond which you should be able to work out what's what to the right from the route names as all are very descriptive of the line taken - e.g. Wide Crack, Block Crack etc.

HTH

Dave
OP Oujmik 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Dave Williams:

Thanks. Was down there today but didn't see your message so not sure I climbed the lines I thought I did. I did Greg's Kettle I think correctly, the only real line to the left of the overlap. The recessed slab under the overlap looked very blank for VD but I assumed that must be overlap slab (not up the hanging slab to the right of the recess? That leads through the only obvious weakness in the overlap??).

I thought I climbed twin cracks too, but it wasn't the line with the bolts. I'd assumed that was Wide Crack. I climbed a line with two parallel cracks coming out if a small recess some way to the left of the bolts. I'll try to post a picture when I'm back with a PC.
OP Oujmik 30 Apr 2016
In reply to Dave Williams:
I've added some topos to my photos:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/author.html?id=122815

If you have time, could you have a look and see if they match your understanding? To me, this seems to be the best match to the names and descriptions but some of the lines aren't clear (Cracked Slab and Rattly Block particularly, and I'm not sure where exactly one crosses the overlap on Overlap Slab as I didn't try it).

If these are correct, I'll do a neater version to add to the crag page. I think they could do with a few more ticks to get the grades right. Thin Crack (as I've labelled it) doesn't look like a HS 4b and my version of Twin Cracks was more Diff than VDiff. Greg's Kettle is appallingly protected (at least with my gear placing) so probably merits VDiff for boldness but not difficulty, although you can escape left so perhaps that negates the boldness somewhat.
Post edited at 17:41
 The Potato 30 Apr 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

does anyone live locally, or climb here often? Im in Dolgellau a few days a week and would be grateful of a partner as Ive not been here before.
 The Potato 30 May 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

This went dead, bump?
OP Oujmik 30 May 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

I'm not local I'm afraid. Your post did remind me that I haven't logged my climbs though...

I didn't get any feedback on my topo, but I can't see many other ways of making the names fit the rock so feel free to use it and post back what you think of the grades etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...