UKC

Car dashcams?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 25 Apr 2016
Has anybody installed one of these to their car windscreen?

If so, can you recommend any particular cameras?
 HeMa 25 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I guess it really depends on what you're really after.

Mobius Action Cam can easily be also used as a car-cam, and to top things it ca also be used as an action cam (duh).

More specialized car cams, might have more bells and whistles... But I'm not sure if they're really needed.
 Kermi 25 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I use a Transcend DrivePro 220. Not the cheapest out there but I wanted GPS and good low light functionality. The WiFi does work but I don't use it as much as I thought I would.

The biggest side effect that I wasn't expecting is that it made ME a more 'sensible' driver. Not that I was dangerous or inconsiderate before though. I don't want to incriminate myself should the footage be required/used in the event of an accident

If your car 12v socket doesn't power on/off with the ignition then you might also want to consider one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XHYSQAC/
Jim C 25 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I bought a cheepo one from BM stores (£15) just to give it a go.

It seems to work fine, but I can't compare it to anything.
Jim C 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Kermi:

Does it capture your voice too ?

You need to be careful of that, as it is then also recording all the conversations, and telephone calls made in the car (by you and others)
 climbwhenready 25 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I have a Nextbase 202, which I got because it's fairly cheap and gets me 15% off my car insurance. And allows me to prove liability after the second person in 3 months drove into the back of me when I was stationary (*). Can't compare it to anything! Like all these things they all claim "HD" but really it's down to the lens rather than the ability to write pixels onto a card, but it seems to record what's going on at a reasonable quality.

You can turn off sound recording, I did that.

(*) of course, it hasn't happened since getting the dashcam...
OP The Lemming 25 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

thanks everybody, I shall check them out.

Kermi 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Jim C:

The Transcend 220 does also capture voice but you can disable this if you want to.

The dedicated "Dash Cams" also tend to have accelerometers in them to enable 'emergency' recording in the event of a collision. This will move/save the video recorded either side of the collision event to a secure location on the memory card which will prevent it from being overwritten when the recordings loop. You can adjust the sensitivity depending on the road conditions (potholes) or your cars suspension.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...