UKC

Croatia Prices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Malt_Loaf 25 Apr 2016

Hello All,

My better half and I are going to Split in Croatia for a weeks holidaying in a couple of months and was hoping to get some idea on spending money? - Heard it's supposed to be pretty cheap for drinks/meals etc...

Been away a couple of times and got a couple of other trips planned this year so we booked it with this in mind and that it seemed nice and somewhere a little different! We tend to take plenty of spending money away but our recent trips have been Rome, Amalfi coast in italy, Copenhagen, Paris etc so generally more pricey places - How does Croatia compare?

What would you suggest for a reasonable day's allowance?

Thanks for any advice,

ML
Post edited at 09:02
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Remember to order Kuna not Euro if you are purchasing currency before you go.

2 of us get by on approx £50 (480 Kuna) a day.
Breakfast in hotel.
Bread/cheese/meat for lunch from supermarket + a couple of coffees (2 x coffee typically £2)
Eat out in evening with a couple of beers each circa £30-£40
Public transport (buses) fairly cheap (£2 for a 20-25 min journey)

Depends on how you choose to live/eat
Split will be a bit more expensive than the place we go.
More remote places will be cheaper still.
OP Malt_Loaf 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Thanks for this! A good guideline to work on...

Quite handy that you can divide their currency by 10 to get it in pounds (not exact but good for estimation!).

Cheers,

ML
 Rob Exile Ward 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Split is a fantastic place, well worth visiting - I'd like to spend more time there. Read about Diocletion before you go, an extraordinary bloke!

We took the kids there for a few years, it was great because we could afford to eat out all the time, have beer and ice creams etc without breaking the bank - that was a few years ago now though.

And of course, there's great climbing at Paklenika an hour or two up the coast...
OP Malt_Loaf 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Thanks Rob! Some useful info..

Seems ideal, we've over indulged in holidays/booking holidays this year/end of last year so thought it would make a great cheapish escape! Never nice being away and constantly stressing about money and not being able to do/get what you want so pleasing to hear the prices are good!

ML

PS will bear the climbing in mind...cheers!
OP Malt_Loaf 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Any general tips on the area/advice/things to do etc would also be much appreciated!

Cheers,

ML.
 ByEek 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Split is absolutely awesome. The town of Trogir just down the coast is also very nice and worth a day out. It is also well worth a boat trip to Brac for a bit of an island experience and if you can make to Bol on Brac, it has a beach to behold. One thing worth mentioning though. This region of Croatia doesn't really do beaches as we know. Most are made of boulders and rocks. The Beach at Bol is only so good because it has shingle rather than rocks! But... the water is the clearest I have ever swam in. It is amazing, so snorkelling is a definite must. And you can buy jelly shoes in most tourist shops to protect your feet on the rocks and one in the water, you won't care about the poor beaches.

I am well jel! Have fun!
OP Malt_Loaf 26 Apr 2016
In reply to ByEek:

Some really great information - thanks!!

Will definitely give Trogir a look, we do look to visit other places and explore a bit when we're away so sounds perfect!!

Have already decided we'll do a boat trip, be really nice to see the islands so that sounds and ideal. I love snorkelling so that could be an ideal location for a relaxing day!

Thanks again,

ML
 CurlyStevo 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Malt_Loaf:
my and my gf got a really nice b n b in brela for 25 pounds per night (12.5 each), eating out you can spend whatever you like but it can be done for as little as 3.50 each at ok places with no alcohol probably more realistically you'll spend 10-20 pounds each per night on a meal including drinks.

Split is lovely in the ancient centre and the setting in the steep rocky hills is really quite something, although the main road through the town and beach are much less nice and very touristy (although I think there is a nicer beach a bit further from the centre - we went to really quite a nice small one about 10 miles away. The climbing is good, although some of it feels very urban / road side and can be pretty polished.

The climbing near brela is worth traveling down for too, much less polish / quieter and a really nice setting. we went to brela at the end of the season and it had a lovely slow pace of life to it, although in peak season I'm sure tis different

Beer and wine is relatively cheap.

Dubrovnik is another ball park cost wise, everything is roughly double bubble.
Post edited at 10:56
 Pedro50 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

> Hello All,

> My better half and I are going to Split

I'm sorry to hear that your relationship is struggling

OP Malt_Loaf 26 Apr 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Thanks for this - The old town looks absolutely charming and the setting is very nice. Quite looking forward to boat trips too and being somewhere a little different!

It will be a novelty not to pay through the nose for food and drinks - a lot of europe tends to be this way and not always great quality either!

That's interesting, we nearly went to dubrovnik but found a better deal in split! We got a an apartment in the old town of split for a very good price...which leads me on to another topic: we booked it through Air B&B - anyone any experiences? this is our first time!

Cheers,

ML

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...