UKC

Replacing a Campag Cassette

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 25 Apr 2016
Just a little advise required from the hive mind; I am considering replacing the cassette on my road bike and would like to know what else I shouldd consider when doing this. I will be replacing a Campag 10 speed with another Campag 10 speed but with different ratios, as the number of sprockets remains unchanged the indexing for the rear mech should be able to cope and there should be no need to replace the chain ? What have I forgotten
 felt 25 Apr 2016
In reply to GravitySucks:

Replace the chain.
 Jim Lancs 25 Apr 2016

Yes, replacing the chain is a false economy. If you think the present one has 'life' left in it (buy a chain gauge), then you can keep it and use it as a replacement when the cassette is a bit more worn.

The indexing might tweaking, but that's true at any time as the gear cables do stretch very slightly.
 Toby_W 25 Apr 2016

Do you need a cassette remover? I may have two in which case you are welcome to one of them.

Toby
 nniff 25 Apr 2016

Make sure you read the instructions so that when you inevitably fumble your stack of cogs and spacers, you know in which order and way round to fit them. That's Shimano - Campagnolo may be straightforward (well, Shimano is straightforward once you've read the instructions.)

The big question is are you hardening or easing up? I think we should be told.
 RX-78 25 Apr 2016

you are changing the ratios, are you changing the difference between max and min gear? different rear mechs will be able to handle different ranges/capacity.
from website:
Campagnolo officially recommends various rear derailleur cage lengths for use with specific cassette and double or triple chain ring combinations. However, it is important to understand that any 1999 to 2008, Campagnolo 10 speed rear derailleur, will shift up to a 29 tooth cog and down to an 11 tooth cog. The problem you will run into is that the derailleur cage may not be long enough to take up all the slack in the chain for a wide range. Thus Campagnolo recommends using a short cage derailleur with a maximum cassette cog size of 26 teeth even though it will shift to a 29 tooth cog. Chain wrap or CW is a helpful concept to understand when you need to determine proper derailleur cage length.
 Dark-Cloud 25 Apr 2016
In reply to nniff:

Instructions for replacing a cassette ? Are you joking ?

Shimano sprockets will only go on in one position anyway, and if its the cheaper end of the range the whole thing is riveted together so even harder to get wrong !
 Greasy Prusiks 25 Apr 2016

Yeah replace the chain. You may need a new rear mech depending on what gears your going from and to.
 nniff 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Instructions for replacing a cassette ? Are you joking ?

You'd think so wouldn't you, but try dropping the whole bloody thing and watch bits go rolling into inaccessible corners of the garage. Then work out which bits are missing.

Dark-Cloud 25 Apr 2016
In reply to nniff:

No instructions will offset your ham fistedness
OP GravitySucks 25 Apr 2016
In reply to nniff:

They say confession is good for the soul, .... as someone who really only 'plays' at road biking, and after receiving a schooling from a slightly more serious roadie I have come to the conclusion that granny gear is no longer sufficient and super granny mode is required! I am currently running a 25-12 cassette whereas just about everyone I know is rocking a 32-11 (I think), and I am very old and I'm sure those hills are getting steeper and ..........
 Dark-Cloud 25 Apr 2016

You will need to check the capacity of the rear mech when going for a 32, that will be the limiting factor in all of this, i can't remember what the Campag stuff will handle.
 RX-78 25 Apr 2016

ok, if going for a 32 tooth upper, I would also increase the lowest cog as well, if you are getting'old' how often are you going to use that 11 tooth cog? Better to have a "smoother" set of cogs, ie, with a 10 speed 11 to 32 you are going to have some large jumps between gears. For a 32 tooth cog you will need to get campagnolo compatible rather than campag itself. Have you thought of changing the front chain rings to compact if not already using that? as obviously its the combination of front and rear that specify your range of gearing.
 nniff 25 Apr 2016

If you're going from 25 to 32 you may need a longer chain - rather depends on how tight it is now. Going to 28 from 25 makes a huge difference, so 32 should be very comfy. 28-11 is my preferred cassette - get back on the downhill what I lost on the way up.

I'm cheating with the new toy though - 52 and 36 on the little ring instead of 39, and 28 on the back

At least I will be when the bloody Italians decide to export some tubing to Belgium
 Jim Lancs 25 Apr 2016

Where are they getting these Campag 11-32 Cassettes?

The biggest I've ever found for Campag 10 speed is 13-29

I run a Campag Veloce CT groupset with medium cage, and it handles a 10 speed 13 - 29 cassette no problems. I've also run it with a 12 -23 close ratio cassette before I got my TT bike

My winter hack has an old ( 2005?) 9 speed veloce setup with a 14-28 cassette. I recently replaced the 50/36 semi compact chainset with a 50/34, and everyting still works OK.

The only thing you have to watch when replacing a Campag cassette is that you get the spacers in the right order, or the indexing will be out. The spacers between the cogs are of varying thickness - however the instructin sheet you get with the cassette is pretty good at telling you what to put where.
 cathsullivan 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Jim Lancs:
> Where are they getting these Campag 11-32 Cassettes?

> The biggest I've ever found for Campag 10 speed is 13-29

Me too.

I changed my campag cassette from a 25 (I think) to the biggest I could get for 10 speed record groupset (which is 29) and I had to buy a new long arm derailleur. It was totally worth it. Am still jealous of my friend with the 11 speed shimano groupset that has a 32 on the back though.
Post edited at 18:24
 woppo 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Jim Lancs:

confession time - got a campag 12-34 cassette on my willier (50-34 chainset) and really like it for lumpy local routes! not cheap option though.
OP GravitySucks 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Jim Lancs and cathsulivan:

I may have misled the Hive a little, whilst I am running Campag, my roadie buddies are not, hence the 31-11 cassettes

As you have pointed out I would probably have to settle for a 29-13 if I were to stick with Campag.

cathsullivan 26 Apr 2016

I really noticed the difference going from 25 to 29 though. All depends where you're going to ride I guess.
Removed User 26 Apr 2016

IRD make a campag compatible 12-32 10 speed cassette. Its very useful in the Dolomites.
cb294 26 Apr 2016

Miche also offer 30 tooth Campa compatible cassettes, at least in their Primato line.

CB
In reply to cb294:

> Miche also offer 30 tooth Campa compatible cassettes, at least in their Primato line.

-- but only in 11 speed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...