UKC

Mixed conditions in the Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davkeo 26 Apr 2016
Anyone been on any mixed lines in the Cairngorms this week? Weather looks favorable for it so I'm weighing up a trip this w/e

Obliged
OP davkeo 26 Apr 2016
In reply to baileyswalk:

had to watch that without sound but the msg is recieved. with the recent & forecast snow plus cold temps there must b something doing??
 baileyswalk 26 Apr 2016
In reply to davkeo:
I'd doubt it, not mixed anyway, stuff high on the Ben is still looking good. Easy Gullies elsewhere above the freeze line. However, I would bow to someone with more experience, any excuse to post a 'Black Johnny' video really but I have logged this a few times:

No match for climb id:349250
Post edited at 12:58
 Kirill 26 Apr 2016
In reply to baileyswalk:

> No match for climb id:349250

Oh I didn't know it existed! Why no stars?!
 Webster 26 Apr 2016
In reply to davkeo:

mixed in the cairngorms isn't really a thing late season, the sun strips any rime extremely quickly even if its well below freezing. the easy gullies will be banked out and very easy but with monster cornices. some of the icy routes may have ice, but equally they may be buried in snow... I don't know where your coming from but the Ben is the place to be this time of year with the snow ice really coming into its own! all the grade V classics will be in good condition this weekend
OP davkeo 26 Apr 2016
In reply to Webster:

thanks for the replys, makes sense

yah i was on the ben 1.5 weeks back and the classics were really good. thought there might b an outside chance of something over east to go at.
OP davkeo 26 Apr 2016
In reply to baileyswalk:

might b a long way to go from Dublin to log that one

John Lyall 26 Apr 2016
In reply to davkeo:

Loads of snow in the Cairngorms, and some routes still in really good nick. You will probably need to break trail and clear a lot of snow from the routes, but lots to do. Some big soft cornices above routes in Coire an Lochain.
 andyinglis 26 Apr 2016
OP davkeo 26 Apr 2016
In reply to andyinglis:

thanks andy uv restored sum faith in my conditions assessments
James Jackson 26 Apr 2016
In reply to davkeo:

Aye there is loads of snow around about 750m, and with this week's cold temperatures things should be re-forming well. I've skied past some pretty icy looking formations last weekend!
 Shaneclimbing 26 Apr 2016
Yeah I can confirm that the Message was in great condition on Sunday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...