UKC

El Chorro in July- is it too hot?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 s.thursz 26 Apr 2016
Me and a friend are looking at heading out to El Chorro in July (although we may have potentially have a week free in June)
however- the guide book say's its too hot! I wanted to ask whether people have gone out and climbed at El Chorro in the summer before and if they found it it's bearable? or should we ditch plans and head somewhere else instead?

we're considering early starts- walking to the crags (shaded ones and the gorge) resting at midday and more climbing late afternoon into the evening.... will this work? (baring in mind we'll probably not going to hire a car)
 biscuit 26 Apr 2016
In reply to s.thursz:

Without a car i'd say you'll really struggle. Desplomilandia and Loja are your best bets for shade in the Summer, but they're both a drive. The gorge is pretty much out now with the re-development of the Camino.

In July even the evening is hot as the heat of the day has built up.

I have climbed through the Summer in Southern Spain but it was always away from Chorro.

A car may not cost that much and would really open your options. Also what grades you're after may help.
 Bouldering Ben 26 Apr 2016
In reply to biscuit:

Way too hot without a car to travel to cooler or shady crags.

Speak to Mel and Gary at the Olive Branch before you go, they have some good contacts for cheap car hire. You might even get one for £30 - £40 for the week if you book before you go (although might be more expensive as you're going during peak holiday season when most climbers go during the 'off' season!)

Where are you staying? Olive Branch has a pool which you be glad of if you stay there!
 Emilio Bachini 27 Apr 2016
In reply to s.thursz:
Personally I think you'll be alright, you seem to have the right idea about early starts and evening climbing.

I'd suggest walking further afield in the morning and saving the likes of Encantades for the evening. This way you can relax through the day and then have a nice easy 5 minute walk across the road.

I believe the Upped wall gets shade a bit earlier but it'd be worth checking out the local guide. It also has a few North facing crags in it and I believe Momia gets shade from about 4pm.

Desplo is excellent and certainly possible to get a whole days climbing in the shade, with no worries of the sun till 3pm onwards most of the time. There's also plenty there.

Enjoy, Emilio.
Post edited at 07:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...