UKC

Ban y gor conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pumbaa1987 27 Apr 2016
Planning a trip to here on Saturday. It's forecast to rain tomorrow and through the night a bit. Will this Crag be climbable still Saturday?
 zimpara 27 Apr 2016
In reply to Pumbaa1987:

Wyndcliff quarry is a better bet. In the sun too
 Gary Gibson 27 Apr 2016
In reply to Pumbaa1987: yes.

OP Pumbaa1987 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Thanks Gary
 tombeasley 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Pumbaa1987:

Yes though there will be some areas that might be worth avoiding. The crag really comes in to its own (in my opinion) from May onwards as it has good shade and the trees keep the routes dry. This time of year it can be a bit muddy on the ground and the routes. Still worthy of a visit, if you are after sport lower grade at Wydncliff Quarry are ok but there are also some good sport routes dispersed across Wintours Leap too which hold up really well year round. Have a good session.
In reply to tombeasley:
I'm after pet cemetery on the main wall. I've climbed the smaller parts of the crag just not the main wall, will that be ok?
 Gary Gibson 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Pumbaa1987: That will be fine. Doesn't seep much at all. Take a stick or sheers in case the nettles haven't been trampled: they shouldn't be high anyway.

zimpara 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Pumbaa1987:

Climbers path down will probably be gopping.
Route will probably be filthy.
Cant imagine its seen much traffic at all this year.
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Sound! I'll send the Mrs up first to clear them!
 allarms 29 Apr 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Are you just in this thread to disagree with Gary?

> Climbers path down will probably be gopping.

> Route will probably be filthy.

> Cant imagine its seen much traffic at all this year.

So no one should climb it until someone else climbs it?

The earlier routes get climbed (and cleaned) in a season the more people will end up climbing it.
 zimpara 29 Apr 2016
In reply to allarms:

Seeing as pumba is bringing his mrs to dust the route off, should be fine.
Happy guy
 Gary Gibson 29 Apr 2016
In reply to zimpara: I am a little stunned by your negative comments. I spent many hours of my own time and money - with some help from John Willson - to regear and reclean almost this entire cliff, twice. I put my life on the line many times and you quibble that nobody has climbed the route and the descent will be 'gopping'. Why not be more positive and helpful and go and add a little TLC to the place or not comment at all?

In reply to Pumbaa1987:

Worth a look! Pet cemetery is more exposed than the other stuff so should be fun!

Take a thermos! Potentially quite chilly I the trees!
 zimpara 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Gary Gibson:

They're negative comments yes. They're also pretty likely factual. Gopping in april.
Why aren't you climbing ban-y-gor right now? Because its gopping. No offence to the crag. Irrespective of how many hours and lives you put at risk cleaning it (thank you oh dear lord great mighty warrior). So forget the idea that I'm attacking you and the crag. It doesn't climb any better than it climbs so do well and lose the ego.
 allarms 29 Apr 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> Why aren't you climbing ban-y-gor right now? Because its gopping.

Looks to have had a reasonable amount of ticks in the logbooks recently. I would be tempted for a visit if I was in the area, at least I know you won't be there.

The Ivanator 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Pumbaa1987:

The more open areas of the crag (e.g. Main Cliff and the Mandela Buttress) may well be OK, the paths may be somewhat adventurous, but I reckon with some determination you'd get stuff done. It will be shady and cold though. If it really is as bad as the naysayers reckon then you can rescue the day by taking the short walk over to Wintours, the high grade 6s on the left side of North Wall are well worthwhile, especially Agamemnon (6c)
OP Pumbaa1987 30 Apr 2016
In reply to Pumbaa1987:

Went today, was fine! All routes climbable.heady days, one of the best routes I've ever done. Got shut down on the roof section of pet cemetery,more power needed next time!good work with the upkeep of the crag, love it there.nice to have a an alternative to the peaks, as one or the other is normally raining
 The Ivanator 30 Apr 2016
In reply to Pumbaa1987:

Nice one, Heady Days (6b+) is bloody brilliant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...